Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Ballast Part No. Question??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Ballast Part No. Question??

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you guys could possibly help me out on a part number question? I recently bought Evo VIII MR headlights and I'm searching for the OEM ballasts. However, I have ran into multiple part numbers and I'm unsure which part number goes to the 7/8/9? I'm also unsure if there is a part number change in different countries. If there is a specific ballast that provides the "best" output, please let me know!

Here are the part numbers I've ran into. Mind you most of these just say "Evo 8/9" and do not give me the actual year/country of the car they came off of.
  • X6T02871
  • MR558268
  • MR574777

Those are the 3 I've ran into the most. There were actually two more, but they looked REALLY old and the part numbers were worn down so much that I couldn't read them. So I won't include those. The 777 ballasts look the newest, I'm not sure if it's coincidence they're all in good shape or if they are the newest ballast and belong on the Evo 9.

Any help with the part number would be awesome. I haven't found much on the interwebs or with searching on evom. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Basing my research off Google Images, I'd say the MR574777 would be the correct ones. I know the ballasts have an 'MR' prefix so the X6T's are ruled out. Google returns very few results for MR558268
Old Jan 5, 2015, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is the ballast from my evo 7 [IMG][/IMG]
Old Jan 6, 2015, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Basing my research off Google Images, I'd say the MR574777 would be the correct ones. I know the ballasts have an 'MR' prefix so the X6T's are ruled out. Google returns very few results for MR558268
Thanks Demon! :thumbsup:
Old Jan 6, 2015, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for posting that picture! I saw a few of those and they looked a little older so I figured they were probably off of the VII. I appreciate the confirmation!

Last edited by .DoT.; Jan 6, 2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

So here's what I've boiled it down to:

Evo 8 Non-MR/SE (Optional HID): X6T02871
Evo 7/8/9 MR/SE: MR574777 (Evo 7 MR Ballasts have two small stickers)

I'm not 100% sure on the MR558268.. The ballasts themselves are off of an Evo MR and they have the older style stickers (two stickers) on them, so maybe they're from different countries or something that have different headlight laws? That's about all I can think of. One thing I know for sure, they're not off of a Evo IX MR, which only leaves non-USDM, non-MR VII/VIII's. That's my guess anyways.

The older ballasts, like the ballasts on the VII had two small stickers on the ballast cover. The VIII/IX's have a single large sticker that cover the entire ballast. Demon was right about the MR nomination on the ballast belonging to the Evo MR, in which all CT9A MR's retained the same part number, only the stickers changed.

Evo 8 Non-MR/SE (Optional HID): X6T02871 look like this:

Evo 7 MR: MR574777 look like this:

Evo 8/9 MR: MR574777 look like this:

The MR558268's are still in question as I'm not sure what they came off of, besides coming off of a MR. They look like this:

Hope this helps someone in the future! I appreciate your help guys!

Last edited by .DoT.; Jan 6, 2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I hate to bring this back from the dead but I wish I had found this sooner. I've got an 03' Evo 8 and my current ballast is the MR574777 and it also has a X6T03173 number on it. I recently purchased a ballast with the X6T02871 part number on it as the seller said it was a direct replacement for the part I currently had, but it wasn't.

MR554777 on top and the X6T02871 on the bottom. The cables are different lengths and the X6T02871 cable isn't even long enough to connect to the HID bulb. It's too late now but do we know what car that model number was off of and why it has a shorter cable?

Old May 17, 2018, 08:49 PM

Did anyone ever figure out anything about the ballast with the shorter cable to bulb? I just got sold one of these as well. I was wondering if I could solder and heat shrink old longer wire to new ballast. Under the silver shielding is just two wires, red and black. Any info on this would be awesome. Thanks.
Old May 18, 2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by whoa69
Did anyone ever figure out anything about the ballast with the shorter cable to bulb? I just got sold one of these as well. I was wondering if I could solder and heat shrink old longer wire to new ballast. Under the silver shielding is just two wires, red and black. Any info on this would be awesome. Thanks.
I never found anything else out, i just bought the correct ballast instead. I would try and get the correct one first. Other than that, i would try and replace all the wiring with the same gauge and type of wire before i tried extending it. Just not sure how much resistance it would add if you tried extending it (dont know much about electrical so take that for what it's worth).
Old May 18, 2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by abnt89
I never found anything else out, i just bought the correct ballast instead. I would try and get the correct one first. Other than that, i would try and replace all the wiring with the same gauge and type of wire before i tried extending it. Just not sure how much resistance it would add if you tried extending it (dont know much about electrical so take that for what it's worth).
where did you end up finding the right one? Also if I'm using d2s connector and wire from a non working ballast shouldn't it be the same? It appears to be the same gauge and everything. All the specs on the ballast box are the same.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:14 AM

where did you end up finding the right one? Also if I'm using d2s connector and wire from a non working ballast shouldn't it be the same? It appears to be the same gauge and everything. All the specs on the ballast box are the same.
Then yes, it should be the same. I bought the wrong ballast from some guy on ebay. When it showed up and didnt work, i emailed him pictures of the ballast that came off my car and made sure he sent me a new one that had the exact same part numbers on it. Other than that, i never found out what specific model the first ballasts i bought were for. Sorry i cant help more.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:40 PM

Then yes, it should be the same. I bought the wrong ballast from some guy on ebay. When it showed up and didnt work, i emailed him pictures of the ballast that came off my car and made sure he sent me a new one that had the exact same part numbers on it. Other than that, i never found out what specific model the first ballasts i bought were for. Sorry i cant help more.
So do you see any issues with soldering the old connector and wire to the newer Ballast I got with the shorter wire? I'l attach a picture of both together.
Old May 18, 2018, 01:04 PM

So do you see any issues with soldering the old connector and wire to the newer Ballast I got with the shorter wire? I'l attach a picture of both together.
It should physically work, yes. It could change the resistance in that bulb compared to the other side and one light may be brighter than the other or it could change how long the bulb lasts, I'd search around. Id still suggest just trying to find the correct ballast unless your short on time for some reason.
Old May 18, 2018, 03:07 PM

It should physically work, yes. It could change the resistance in that bulb compared to the other side and one light may be brighter than the other or it could change how long the bulb lasts, I'd search around. Id still suggest just trying to find the correct ballast unless your short on time for some reason.
they appear to be the same ballast units just the one out of my evo has longer wires going to the d2s bulb. I couldn't see how that would affect the bulb resistance. Possibly could add a ohms or two by soldering the wires but at 500v I dont see that causing a large enough voltage drop to affect brightness or the bulb life. I've just had a really hard time trying to find a good used one and this seems like a easier solution. What do you think?
Old May 22, 2018, 03:36 AM

they appear to be the same ballast units just the one out of my evo has longer wires going to the d2s bulb. I couldn't see how that would affect the bulb resistance. Possibly could add a ohms or two by soldering the wires but at 500v I dont see that causing a large enough voltage drop to affect brightness or the bulb life. I've just had a really hard time trying to find a good used one and this seems like a easier solution. What do you think?
i think you'll be fine just extending the wires. I got lucky and it didnt take me too long to find the right part number on ebay.

Quick Reply: Ballast Part No. Question??