Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo 8 Electrical Problems

Old May 23, 2018, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Electrical Problems

Hi EVOM
I am hoping for some help as I'm trying to diagnose an electrical issue before just throwing money at parts.

The background info is as follows:
- Car is 2003 Evo 8
- My car battery died when the weather hit -40 (car was stored in garage)
- Eventually I jumped the battery and started the car; car ran fine. Turned off the car, re-started the ignition, car did not start.
- I assumed my battery was toast and not charging (it was old anyways) and so I went and bought a new battery.
- Connecting the new battery is where my first issue came about - I was getting massive sparking (sequence is positive connected, then negative). This was not a small amount of sparking from regular accessories or lights or things like that. It was enough sparking that it was damaging the leads and the terminals of the battery the second they came into contact.
I am positive that the terminals are not reversed, I am positive that the cables were not reversed (I tested it to make sure so that I wouldn't fry anything).
- At this point I start troubleshooting. Everywhere I researched indicated this is probably a short. So I tried a parasitic draw test using a multimeter but got no results. I tried a resistance test instead between the battery cables and I'm getting 3.5 Ohms which I believe is really low. At this point I assumed it must be something rather major.
- Started checking and pulling fuses, I don't see any fried fuses or damage. The resistance also didn't change
- At this point I moved to major things. First on the list is the Alternator - I disconnected the positive lead of the alt. Resistance did not change, however someone suggested trying to reconnect the battery anyways since it's possible there is an internal short in the alt.
SUCCESS - With the alternator disconnected I can now successfully connect my battery with no massive sparking.

Further problems:
- With the alternator disconnected I have weird behavior going on. With the key not in, I have all of my lights on (headlights, taillights, dome lights, markers). On the dash, I have both turn signals showing and high-beams. Again this is with the key out. If I turn the key to accessories my wiper starts going off and my washer fluid starts going off. It seems really odd. I have not tried to crank the car since the alt is disconnected and I'm scared that I can cause damage cranking the car.

This is where I'm at and I am in dire need of some help. Some research I've done indicates maybe it's the ETACS. My question is though, how do I test it? Another question is, is this potentially expected behavior with the alternator circuit disconnected? Either way I'm fairly certain I have to replace my alternator at this point, but I'm trying to understand if that's my one and only problem or if I'm just going to continue going on a wild chase after I replace it

In dire need of some help!
Old May 24, 2018, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi Venom_x,
it's worth look for the "Electrical Gremlins", see there. I also experienced issues with lights and wiper and it came out that the issue was due to the corrosion in the connectors, which are behind the small panel next to the clutch pedal, as described in the link.
Cheers,
Patric
Old May 24, 2018, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Your saying that your positive you didn't reverse the poles but the symptoms you describe is exactly what happened to me when I accidentally reversed the poles last week.

My mini battery died so I ordered a new one. With the mini battery , the red/black pole colors are hidden under the terminal posts when you install them. And the + - marking is not so visible if you don't pay attention like I did. So when I transfered the battery to the car I accidentally placed it backwards. In an attempt to connect the wires I got a spark like you did and headlights , taillights , both turn signals, gauge cluster lights etc.. all turned on without the car key in the ignition!

So I would suggest checking again if you reversed the poles. I don't know what battery your running, but some are designed with the + - terminals to be in the opposite ends depending if it's for cars with batteries on passenger side or for driver side etc...

Last edited by BluEVOIX; May 24, 2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old May 24, 2018, 04:11 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Sounds like maybe the rectifier in the alternator is fried and causing the short. If that's the case that could have also fried the etacs because if the rectifier goes the alternator is basically outputting AC voltage. Hard to say really but I would start with the alternator.