Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Faulty fuel filter caused mayhem on my ignition assembly?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faulty fuel filter caused mayhem on my ignition assembly?

Hi guys,

​​​​I really want to know what's going on in my Evo 5. It all started when my engine keeps going "putt-putt" when I'm cruising on the highway and every time it do so, I can smell a burning / melting plastic smell... I thought it was a vac leak at first. But after plugging the computer to my Haltech ECU, I realize it might be a fuel filter instead after logging after logging... so I changed it and the "putt-putt" went away as did the smell after a week later... Thought that was the end of it until last Friday my car wouldn't start.. it'll crank but it won't fire up. There was no electrical signal to my ECU, dash, indicators, fuel pump, etc... after 5+ hrs diagnosis, i pulled my entire ignition assembly and voila!!! It was toasted! Like completely burned / partially melted...

my question is.. could a dirty fuel filter cause that? I mean I know I drove with a dirty filter for a while... but that would cause the ignition assembly to fry up? Need some input from your expertise, cuz I don't want this to happen ever again...

thank you very much for your insights in advance!

Old Jul 24, 2018, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I'm bot familiar with Evo 5, but I guess it's possible. If it is like Evo 8/9 where fuel pump power comes from fuse box (going to fuel pump relay #1). Fuel pump is working extra hard to overcome the clog. As it works harder, current (amps) increases. As amps increases, it causes voltage sag in entire fuse box. So every electronic getting power from fuse box needs to pull more current to make up for voltage sag. Over time, if you pull lots of power for additional electronics, it gets taxed. Also, realize that factory harness doesn't oversize the wires in order to keep manufacturing costs down, so once you start getting voltage sag, it keeps getting worse until fixed.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry for the typos. I'm overseas and can't update any if my posts. I'm not sure if it is from overseas internet or if evom updated software. I also noticed that I can't attach photos from my phone any more.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I'm bot familiar with Evo 5, but I guess it's possible. If it is like Evo 8/9 where fuel pump power comes from fuse box (going to fuel pump relay #1). Fuel pump is working extra hard to overcome the clog. As it works harder, current (amps) increases. As amps increases, it causes voltage sag in entire fuse box. So every electronic getting power from fuse box needs to pull more current to make up for voltage sag. Over time, if you pull lots of power for additional electronics, it gets taxed. Also, realize that factory harness doesn't oversize the wires in order to keep manufacturing costs down, so once you start getting voltage sag, it keeps getting worse until fixed.
What you say does make a lot of sense. Now time to source parts! I thank the guys at Boost Theory to help me out. Sucks cuz this year I need to park it early for winter...so I don't want that much down time to enjoy the car!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

I'm just surprised that your fuses didn't blow to save you from having to replace all your wiring. Did you replaced your fuses with higher current ones?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I'm just surprised that your fuses didn't blow to save you from having to replace all your wiring. Did you replaced your fuses with higher current ones?
yeah I wish I could've noticed earlier... now to source the ignition assembly which I'm having minor troubles with