Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Confused about wiring / Window

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Confused about wiring / Window

2005 Evo 8
Okay.. Thanks for the look.
I have searched many forums and threads but no luck.

So my D/S Rear window stopped working. Tested the switch, with a multimeter and put it on a known working window and it was solid. The fuses were/are fine and the wiring looks to be fine. So I ordered a new motor/regulator assembly. Received the new part and I plugged it in to test it before installing.. It moved up for a second and then nothing. So I thought maybe the part was bad. I hooked it up to the P/S rear window plug and boom... it worked just fine. I then again plugged it into the D/S rear window plug and it did nothing again. I can feel it clicking and trying to work, but it wont turn. I then tried to make it go up or down with the Driver main switch and nothing. I could still feel and hear it trying to move... but it wont. I then unplugged the window motor, cussed a bit and then had a smoke. After smoking, I Came back to the car and tried it again for the hell of it and it went down but wont work anymore yet again. The motor is getting hot as hell.... bad ground? I have traced everything and looked for corrosion on all pins and connectors... Notta.. any ideas?

Last edited by marinejensen; Aug 8, 2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Year and model
Old Aug 9, 2018, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone care to take a stab at the issue?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There appears to be a problem with load in that door. Either there is not enough current getting to the motor causing it to not move/stop or there is an obstruction that is making the job of moving the motor too hard.

I would check the wire harness from the B pillar to the door and see if there is any corrosion or damage since the ground is good and the parts work elsewhere.
I would also look at the tracks, pivot point and rollers in the mechanism to see if there is gunk or broken missing parts that would make the window harder to move. .
Old Aug 10, 2018, 07:00 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Yah your symptoms seem to point to a mechanical issue. If the motor is getting really hot and not moving it's probably stuck
Old Aug 10, 2018, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
There appears to be a problem with load in that door. Either there is not enough current getting to the motor causing it to not move/stop or there is an obstruction that is making the job of moving the motor too hard.

I would check the wire harness from the B pillar to the door and see if there is any corrosion or damage since the ground is good and the parts work elsewhere.
I would also look at the tracks, pivot point and rollers in the mechanism to see if there is gunk or broken missing parts that would make the window harder to move. .
Where is the ground? I am terrible at reading schematics. Thats the only thing wire wise I haven't checked. The motor works on the known working side so the motor is not stuck.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Yah your symptoms seem to point to a mechanical issue. If the motor is getting really hot and not moving it's probably stuck
The motor works, I tried it on the known working side and no issues. The only other thing I can think of that would make it get hot like that is a bad ground? know where the ground is located?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Also, wouldn't all the windows share the same ground?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 07:51 PM

The motor works but is the window regulator binding?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

The motor works but is the window regulator binding?
No it moves freely along the track.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by marinejensen
No it moves freely along the track.
Its been a while since i have looked at the mechanism, but can you plug in the motor without installing it and verify if it spins or does not with the switches?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Its been a while since i have looked at the mechanism, but can you plug in the motor without installing it and verify if it spins or does not with the switches?
When I plug the new motor and regulator assembly into the Passanger side rear window plug that I know works, the new assembly works just fine. It goes up and down. When I plug it into the D/S rear window plug (the one that I am replacing) it will not work. I have tested the switch by a multimeter and I took the good switch from the working side and tried it with the new motor and regulator assembly on the bad side and it still does nothing. Only thing it does is get hot as hell (window motor). It did work once out of nowhere but once it went down, it hasn't worked again. It still gets hot as hell.
so basically it has to be a wiring issue.. maybe a bad ground? Could a bad switch in the master swith (driver switch) case an issue?

I am assuming this is why the original motor went bad, it was prolly fried.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Does not spin with the tested good switch nor does it spin with the working passenger rear switch.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 02:20 AM

Ground for LH rear window is point 15

By the footwell driverside.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 06:59 AM

These should help

Old Aug 11, 2018, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

So as you can see in the picture, there was a piece that was broken off one of the electrical connectors and was moving around inside the D/S passenger switch on the master switch. This would explain the random movement of the window and why the motor was getting hot. It would keep sending power to the up circuit and overhead it. This would also explain why I didn't catch it when I tested the switch and motor plug, I had rattled out and so I couldn't detect it. Without it completing the up circuit, the window would not work period. So a new switch and it will be fixed. Thank you all for your help! I have a thorough knowledge of the window system now lol.