Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo 8 Speedo Needle Sticking/lazy????

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Speedo Needle Sticking/lazy????

My Evo 8s speedo needle is sticking/being lazy, I have to keep tapping the clocks for the needle to jump to the correct speed.
For example I will be slowly accelrating from 30mph up to 40mph and the needle doesn't move off 30mph unless I tap the clocks. Same happens at any slow acceleating speed. And also happens when decelerating. I will decelarate to 0mph and the needle will stop at 20mph then 2 seconds later just fall to 0mph.
Works fine accelerating fast when i plant it. But normal driving it just acts up.

Has anyone any idea of what could be causing this problem? Evo 8 FQ330 Ralliart
Cheers
Old Feb 15, 2019, 06:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Might be a South Wales weather issue. After this many years, maybe the humidity has damaged the gauge

I just recently replaced the OEM oil temp gauge that was jamming up & i live in Los Angeles LOL

Welcome aboard, by the way

Cheers
Old Feb 15, 2019, 06:43 AM

Cheers mate!
So if my speedo needs replacing would the best way be to change the whole clocks or is there a way of just changing the speedo?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 06:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_ballbag330
Cheers mate!
So if my speedo needs replacing would the best way be to change the whole clocks or is there a way of just changing the speedo?
Thats a good question. My guess is that the entire cluster would have to be changed

But dont make a move on ordering a new cluster based on my notes. Search the forum for similar threads. Im sure this is not the first case of this issue

On my Mitsu oil temp issue, there were a few threads confirming this issue

Edit: Heres a post that no one answered noted the same issue (its an FQ as well but doubt that makes a diff)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-sticking.html
Old Aug 12, 2023, 09:58 AM

I also have UK EVO 8 FQ-330 and my speedometer needle will just drop from 20 mph straight to 0 mph. Did you manage to get anywhere with yours.
I don't ever remember it being this way the past 5 years but I took it out of storage this weekend and now notice it.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:38 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
You may have an intermittent short or open in the cluster circuit. I have a Evo9 cluster with 25K miles that I am looking to sell if you need parts.