EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Electrical / Audio / Security (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-electrical-audio-security-180/)
-   -   Autopower bolt in cage doesnt fit with sunroof? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-electrical-audio-security/197751-autopower-bolt-cage-doesnt-fit-sunroof.html)

EVOIX4me Apr 26, 2006 09:17 AM

Autopower bolt in cage doesnt fit with sunroof?

I got a autopower bolt in cage , man let me tell you how messed up my ride is trying to get this thing to fit . See the headliner is too low and the cage wont stand up straight . I was told it would fit with a sunroof but dont see how it can , considering that i need about 2-3 " more on room on top :crap: SO now im stuck with this cage {thumbdwn} So anyone have this cage with a sunroof :lol: :lol: i doubt it

EvoBroMA Apr 26, 2006 09:43 AM

did you try removing the headliner? LOL. sorry to hear.

EVOIX4me Apr 26, 2006 09:45 AM

yes even with the headliner it does not fit , and then even if it did i wouldnt be able to get the headliner back on .. GHETTO i dont wanna drive around a 30 k car with no headliner man {thumbdwn}

Fireball Apr 26, 2006 09:47 AM

Is there a way for you to deform the headliner where the roll hoop would go?

Worst case senerio, I'd be interested in buying it from you. {thumbup}

EVOIX4me Apr 26, 2006 10:20 AM

That could be possible to deform the headliner , i did speak with a few guys on this site and they just now informed me Autopower makes a special bar for Evo's with a sunroof . Dam the man ! So i bought the cage for 200 its in great shape , i just spoke with the gentleman that sold it too me and he said he would refund me my cash so i guess all im left with is a torn headliner and some sratches on my side skirt :o Next time i will ask alot of people before doing something like this

slo4g63 Apr 26, 2006 11:22 AM

Hmmmm, what about cutting the rollcage....and rewelding the pieces back together to make it fit?

EVOIX4me Apr 26, 2006 02:34 PM

yea thats too much of a project im just gonna return it

racerjon1 Apr 27, 2006 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by slo4g63
Hmmmm, what about cutting the rollcage....and rewelding the pieces back together to make it fit?

Autopower frowns on this a LOT.. they are good at customer service and like the dealer helped out, they will help as well.

Though it doesn't sound like it in your case, sometimes (and for good reason) the Autopower cages are really tight, to put a cage in my Neon, we actually used a hydrolic jack to push the bars apart to make the front "hoop" fit.

Jon K
www.racerjon.com

RACESHOP Apr 28, 2006 03:09 AM

racerjon1 Apr 28, 2006 04:49 AM

Yes.

It usually doesn't take much movement, and it settles back in. When you do a custom cage, you do the same thing to make sure the cage is up against the body.

In the case of an Autopower cage, you are really just using it to squeeze interior bits, and not putting any pressure on the shell, it is a lot easier to do this then it is to try to lay in some contorted position and push with your legs while you try to slide sleeves over each other, line up pieces, etc.

Jon K

RACESHOP Apr 28, 2006 04:53 AM

racerjon1 Apr 28, 2006 05:33 AM

I am not talking about installing it with preload, I am talking about using a little pressure that your arms can't give to get the pieces lined up.

I should clarify when i say "squeezing interior bits" I am talking about upolstery and plastic, and I am not talking about rebending bars.

With an Autopower cage you are going to have to squeeze the interior to make it fit, doing this with your arms and legs (or having your friend do it with his arms and legs) while you line the sleeves up is a PITA, so a little pressure with a hydrolic jack works.

Jon K

EVOIX4me Apr 28, 2006 10:11 AM

Well First off your talking about a dodge neon . If you would like to share your personal experinece with a autopower cage in a evo then please by all means go ahead , a few tricks you may have done with your neon dont apply to our Evo's with this paticular cage. This section is for ADVANCED EVO OWNERS!

racerjon1 Apr 29, 2006 09:55 AM

I have installed Autopower cages in many cars including RX7s, Honda CRXs, and a Dodge Neon.

The info I was giving is general hints about installing autopower cages, which will still work for Evos. I gave this info so that when Evo owners come in here on a search because they are runing into issues where they think it doesn't fit, that info may still help them.

You did have the wrong cage, and my only comment to you on the issue was "don't cut it up" which you didn't want to do anyway. You have your situation handled because you know you need a different cage.

Jon K
www.racerjon.com

vikktorlv Apr 29, 2006 10:01 AM

Bar

Mike you gonna sell the bar now?