EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Electrical / Audio / Security (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-electrical-audio-security-180/)
-   -   High-end Head Unit help (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-electrical-audio-security/255490-high-end-head-unit-help.html)

homwerk Mar 5, 2007 01:45 PM

High-end Head Unit help

Looking for a high-quality, high-end head unit to complete my stereo system. Here are the components that I have chosen so far:

Seas Lotus Reference Components
Seas Lotus 12inch sub in fiberglass enclosure
DLS Ultimate A5 or A7 amplifier

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a Clarion DRZ9225 but I cannot quite decide. Was thinking Nakamichi but I have heard of reliability problems so they might be out. Not sure of the new Eclipse stuff so I am shying away from them as well. Don't really have a budget, but I was hoping for something less than $1000.

Thanks for the help

dbsears Mar 6, 2007 11:13 PM

Actually for the price the Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS is very well, I have one and it is one of the cleanest decks there is and has the most usable options. Also I used to be an installer and have used quite a few decks and this one is my favorite so far.

homwerk Mar 7, 2007 08:24 AM

Thanks I will look it up. What do you think about the Clarion DRZ9255?

dbsears Mar 7, 2007 09:18 AM

Well I have only played with one a bit in another persons car. Internally they are probably the best made and geared the most towards sound quality. Externally they are somewhat plain and the settings can be confusing and its somewhat hard to navigate. One thing I dont like is it has an open faceplate and I never really liked that design because over time dust can get inside of the unit and on the laser. Good deck but a little overpriced imo.

Edit I would prefer this at equivalent price: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._34724,00.html

BillAce Mar 7, 2007 09:20 AM

The new or old version of the 9255. the original schared many internals with the MCintoch head units since Clarion built them. The new version has DSP and other less desireable bells and whistles for SQ.

UT_Evo Mar 7, 2007 09:41 AM

I love Alpine, but... I dunno how high quality you want

hotrod2448 Mar 7, 2007 09:52 AM

I've said this before and don't think I'm trying to discourage you from doing something but....

You are putting this stuff in an Evo right? Which is not exactly quiet inside or well insulated or anything really that would be good for high quality sound. It just seems to me that all the fine details and clarity of sound will be drowned out by engine, road and, wind noise unless you just plan on listening to it while parked somewhere.

Just my $.02, carry on.

BillAce Mar 7, 2007 09:52 AM

The new or old version of the 9255. the original shared many internals with the McIntosh head units since Clarion built those too. The new version has DSP and other less desireable bells and whistles for an SQ system.

homwerk Mar 7, 2007 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by dbsears87 (Post 4059235)
Well I have only played with one a bit in another persons car. Internally they are probably the best made and geared the most towards sound quality. Externally they are somewhat plain and the settings can be confusing and its somewhat hard to navigate. One thing I dont like is it has an open faceplate and I never really liked that design because over time dust can get inside of the unit and on the laser. Good deck but a little overpriced imo.

Edit I would prefer this at equivalent price: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._34724,00.html

I was actually thinking of this deck at first. But my friend, who has this deck and competes, said that the Clarion is superior in every way (sound quality wise). So that is why I wanted to get more info on it

homwerk Mar 7, 2007 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by BillAce (Post 4059322)
The new or old version of the 9255. the original shared many internals with the McIntosh head units since Clarion built those too. The new version has DSP and other less desireable bells and whistles for an SQ system.

Not sure. I think the newest version, which is the version that a couple of my friends said to get. They have done extensive testing on it and said that it was comparable to the Alpine F-1 but at a fraction of the price. The specs look good, just never heard one.

homwerk Mar 7, 2007 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by hotrod2448 (Post 4059316)
I've said this before and don't think I'm trying to discourage you from doing something but....

You are putting this stuff in an Evo right? Which is not exactly quiet inside or well insulated or anything really that would be good for high quality sound. It just seems to me that all the fine details and clarity of sound will be drowned out by engine, road and, wind noise unless you just plan on listening to it while parked somewhere.

Just my $.02, carry on.

Yeah going into an Evo. My friend has an even better setup in his STi and sounds great (that is the best justification that I can think of right now ;) ).

In all reality I agree, it is probably not the best platform to put this stuff into, but it will sound great when parked :updown: .

BillAce Mar 7, 2007 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by homwerk (Post 4060328)
Not sure. I think the newest version, which is the version that a couple of my friends said to get. They have done extensive testing on it and said that it was comparable to the Alpine F-1 but at a fraction of the price. The specs look good, just never heard one.

Having used the Clarion and the old and new version of the F#1 Status, I can tell you that is definitely not the case. The more your head unit does, the worse it will perform for pure SQ. F1 is a processor, the controls are in the head unit along with a digital out.

eclipseownzu Mar 7, 2007 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by homwerk (Post 4051618)
might be out. Not sure of the new Eclipse stuff so I am shying away from them as well. Don't really have a budget, but I was hoping for something less than $1000.

I just sold an eclipse deck I had for less than a month, it was total crap. I definatly agree with shying away from them.

bluej20 Mar 12, 2007 12:00 PM

How about An AVCN-1

steve814 Mar 12, 2007 12:16 PM

I have an eclipse and I love it...the sound quality is much better than my alpine I haven't had experience with any other companies though.