EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Electrical / Audio / Security (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-electrical-audio-security-180/)
-   -   BATTERT LIGHT / BRAKE LIGHT after new alternator? Help (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-electrical-audio-security/750851-battert-light-brake-light-after-new-alternator-help.html)

MikeyT Sep 14, 2018 07:24 AM

BATTERT LIGHT / BRAKE LIGHT after new alternator? Help

hey guys, I just picked up an Evo 9 MR. The car has the Brake and Battery light on full time. The last owner told me it’s been on Sincd he replaced the alternator and has not gone away. I searched all over as I see the brake and battery light is a common sign that the alternator is bad. The car is charging and from what I can see in the MR volt gauge it’s at 14.5. I have checked the fusesble link on the battery and all looks well. Any ideas how to turn these lights off? Is this a possibility of running an aftermarket alternator and the electrical system wanting an OEM? Any info would be greatly appreciated, I don’t want to replace a good working alternator unless it’s the only way to clear those lights.

MikeyT Sep 14, 2018 07:26 AM

By the way, I apologize for the typos, just stopped off the highway to make this post quickly and did not re-read 🤦🏽*♂️ 😂

MinusPrevious Sep 14, 2018 07:34 AM

Whats the age of the battery? Curious if its time to replace?

Question, with the Alt light on, does that not throw a CEL? If so, clear any present codes

Wonder if this could be a ground issue?

Anyways, just throwing out some ideas:crap:

BillAce Sep 14, 2018 07:56 AM

14.5v is a little high for a running car. Is it at that voltage at idle too? Does it dip in voltage under load like headlights, defroster, etc.? Is the alternator an OEM or aftermarket/rebuilt unit?

Project_Broke Sep 14, 2018 08:36 AM

The MR gauge is not reliable. Get a reading off the battery or alternator post.

I had a pinched wire that reeked havoc on my system after an alternator install.

MikeyT Sep 14, 2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by BillAce (Post 11838968)
14.5v is a little high for a running car. Is it at that voltage at idle too? Does it dip in voltage under load like headlights, defroster, etc.? Is the alternator an OEM or aftermarket/rebuilt unit?

I just watched the gauge (not sure if its accurate or not) and when the headlights/ ac/ and wipers are on it does a dip down to 14v and teeters between 14v-14.5v. I hooked up my snap on scanner from work and tried to see if it showed any faults through a full scan but it shows no codes. I suppose ill try a volt meter later just to double check.

Project_Broke Sep 14, 2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyT (Post 11838990)
I just watched the gauge (not sure if its accurate or not) and when the headlights/ ac/ and wipers are on it does a dip down to 14v and teeters between 14v-14.5v. I hooked up my snap on scanner from work and tried to see if it showed any faults through a full scan but it shows no codes. I suppose ill try a volt meter later just to double check.

My MR gauge showed 14.5 and it was a whopping 16.5v at the battery. Overcharge FTW.

MikeyT Sep 14, 2018 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke (Post 11839009)
My MR gauge showed 14.5 and it was a whopping 16.5v at the battery. Overcharge FTW.

I wonder if that's what is happening here. Would it make sense that an aftermarket alternator may be overcharging and not regulating like a stock alternator would?

Project_Broke Sep 14, 2018 01:09 PM

Like I stated above, mine was due to a pinched wire.

MikeyT Sep 14, 2018 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke (Post 11839018)
Like I stated above, mine was due to a pinched wire.

which wire ended up being pinched for you? I know it will most likely have no relevance to me but gives me a place to start ha!

Project_Broke Sep 15, 2018 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyT (Post 11839020)
which wire ended up being pinched for you? I know it will most likely have no relevance to me but gives me a place to start ha!

Voltage reference wire that runs from the battery to the alternator. Basically, the ecu saw 9v instead of 12v due to resistance and bumped the charge.

MikeyT Sep 17, 2018 02:55 PM

I just put my volt meter to the reference wire to the alternator and it seems to be charging at 15v-15.3. I turned on headlights and Ac and it dips down to 12 and then back up to 15v. Is this due to a regulator issue in the aftermarket alternator?

Project_Broke Sep 18, 2018 10:31 AM

It is high. So either the regulator, or the reference wire issue like I had would be culprits.

MikeyT Sep 19, 2018 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=Project_Broke;11839466]
It is high. So either the regulator, or the reference wire issue like I had would be culprits.

ahh okay. Im going to go a bit deeper into it and see whats going on. Thanks for the help Project_Broke! Ill report back with what I find when I do.