Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy Profec B spec II probs...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2004, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greddy Profec B spec II probs...

Hey all,

I am currently experiencing some probs with my boost controller as stated in the title.
Firstly here are the settings of it:
Low: 12psi
- Set 34
- Gain 24
- Setgain 8psi
- Limit 15psi
- Limit% 5%

High: 18psi
- Set 49
- Gain 24
- Setgain 14.5psi
- Limit 20psi
- Limit% 10%

The car is a 1993 Evo 1 (japan spec), I am From NZ, some of the mods are 3" exhaust, tial 46mm wastegate, boshe 500hp fuel pump, chipped ecu etc, stock bottom end etc....

Now I had it on the dyno last week, all went well, and i managed to get 310hp at all 4 wheels which i was very happy with. The boost stayed constant at a little under 18psi, no spiking and no creeping. The dyno was done in 4th gear.

Now when i raced it last weekend it didnt go to well, the only chance i got to have a look at the boost controller was in 3rd and 4th gear and it was beeping and the screen was flashing from red to blue and the boost wasnt going over approx 15psi. What i think is that its hitting the boost limit and dropping it down to the safe limit set by me. But this confused me because on the dyno we wernt seeing past 18psi and no where the limit of 20psi.
Unfortunaly i didnt turn the limiter setting off because i didnt want to push the engine to far at this stage.
This also happened sometimes on the drive home on low boost, the screen would flash and the unit would beep and felt considerably slower than when it wouldnt do it.
I have been searching these forums and it seems that a gain value of 24 is quite high to what you guys run, but every car is different, and i am running a external wastegate while it seems most of you are not (i could be wrong here).

So.... after that little essay... what do you think i am doing wrong? is my gain value to high (causeing spike while road driving because its puts a differend load than the dyno), or should i drop the limit% down to 3-4%.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

James
Old Oct 25, 2004, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

I've found that if I don't cycle the boost controller (switch from Lo to High and back), it lowers the limit to around 14 psi. I've just gotten into the habit of switching it every time I start the car. Might want to see if that helps.
Paul
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:10 AM

Hey thanks for the info,

ive had a try at that and it didnt seem to matter.

thanks anyway though.