Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Comparing the 5 speed EVO trans to the 6 speed MR trans

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparing the 5 speed EVO trans to the 6 speed MR trans

Which of the two can handle higher power levels better?

I went to the OC auto show in Anaheim, CA and dry shifted both the regular EVO and the MR and oddly, the 5 speed trans in the regular EVO VIII shifted smoother than the more expensive MR.

With engine, I have driven 2 EVO VIII's before and they shifted very smoothly. I have yet to drive the MR but wonder if what I felt in dry shifting remains true when the engine is on and the car is being driven.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Well I have talked with a bunch of people about the 6 speed and how it shifts. Really only answer I came up with is, Crisp, I like it better then the 5 speed, and I love it.

I cant seem to find which one can handle more power, although I doubt it will come into play until you pass 500whp or so.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

I test drove both 05 MR and 05 GSR when I bought my car, 6sp trans in MR is much more crisp and smoother... probably teflon coat really works!!
One thing that i noticed from driving MR is that transmission fluid in MR is much thicker so it takes lil more time to get warmed up, but then once it is warmed up it is soOooOO much smoother than 5sp...
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:24 PM

I heard awhile ago that the 5 speed could handle more power than the 6 speed could, I don't know if that has any truth to it or not though.

It was something like "the 5 speed is ideal for the US market which likes to drive their cars hard"

My worry is, if I were to buy an MR instead of the VIII, the availability of the 6 speed's transmission parts is probably very low since it is not quite as well established as the VIII which has been here for a few years now, and considering the production numbers on the MR are (comparably) much smaller, parts will be much harder to come by.

mybada--does the MR 6 speed really have teflon anywhere inside the transmission or on its parts? what is a GSR? do you mean the VIII?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JF1GD2
I heard awhile ago that the 5 speed could handle more power than the 6 speed could, I don't know if that has any truth to it or not though.

It was something like "the 5 speed is ideal for the US market which likes to drive their cars hard"

My worry is, if I were to buy an MR instead of the VIII, the availability of the 6 speed's transmission parts is probably very low since it is not quite as well established as the VIII which has been here for a few years now, and considering the production numbers on the MR are (comparably) much smaller, parts will be much harder to come by.

mybada--does the MR 6 speed really have teflon anywhere inside the transmission or on its parts? what is a GSR? do you mean the VIII?

MR has Teflon coated shifting cables. Gsr is = to Evo VIII.

Derek
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:22 AM

I read alot of UK car mags, and they all say that the 6 speed is not an improvement over the 5 speed as far as shift quality.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:01 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

2005 5-speed models also have Teflon coated cables and some other minor changes.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...40087&mime=ASC
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

I now have an MR and was in an 03'. The MR is much smoother between gears. There is no notchiness like in the 03'. Also the clutch in the MR is softer. Not so hard to push. I have driven them back to back. So i speak with some experience about the two compared to each other. Do I think the MR is quicker? Maybe a bit. It seems to spool quick...probably due to the slight gearing change. Is it more refined? YES! It makes the 03' seems prehistoric. I loved my 03' but the MR is that much better. To me it is very much worth the extra money. Do I want to pay the extra bit on the monthly payment?...not really....but to me it is very justifiable.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I can tell and after driving both and hearing my friends(EVOVIII owners) opinions the teflon coated cables on the MR feel better to the touch, the clutch pedal feels different and the gears are so close with the new shifter.

The actual clutch assembly is stronger and diffferent, the shift boot, the shift knob, the transfer case , in general everything was address for a sportier driving.

The EVO VIII tranny is already a good tranny, perhaps the biggest difference would be the great match of engine torque with spool up on the MR, it is incredible to to see 20PSI before 3000rpm.

My .50c
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by favre95
I now have an MR and was in an 03'. The MR is much smoother between gears. There is no notchiness like in the 03'. Also the clutch in the MR is softer. Not so hard to push. I have driven them back to back. So i speak with some experience about the two compared to each other. Do I think the MR is quicker? Maybe a bit. It seems to spool quick...probably due to the slight gearing change. Is it more refined? YES! It makes the 03' seems prehistoric. I loved my 03' but the MR is that much better. To me it is very much worth the extra money. Do I want to pay the extra bit on the monthly payment?...not really....but to me it is very justifiable.
Have you driven an 05 GSR to witness the improvments as well?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
Have you driven an 05 GSR to witness the improvments as well?
I'm in the same position as favre95 I traded my 2003 in for a MR. So I can say the differences in 2003 Evo VIII and MR are dramatic. But I have yet to drive a 2005 Evo VIII. So I can only imagine that the 2005 with all of its vast improvements would be much better than my 2003 Evo VIII. Quite a big change from 2003 to 2005.

Derek
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

its proven in asia that the 6 speed cant handle as much power as the 5 speed tranny.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 4Gsixty3
its proven in asia that the 6 speed cant handle as much power as the 5 speed tranny.
thats interesting. who/what are the sources for that?

theres another guy in this thread that just got done saying it was more built for 'sportier' driving
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
The EVO VIII tranny is already a good tranny, perhaps the biggest difference would be the great match of engine torque with spool up on the MR, it is incredible to to see 20PSI before 3000rpm.

My .50c

I hit 20psi before 3k...
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Actually...I kinda remembered something I was told... I was talking to my dad a while back about 6 speeds and stuff and recalled him saying that 5 speeds in general are stronger then 6 speeds.

We were on the topic of the older Shelby cobra I think... dunno, but 5 speed transmissions have always been stronger then 6 speed transmissions.

Quick Reply: Comparing the 5 speed EVO trans to the 6 speed MR trans