Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Uprated fuel pump??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2002, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasnt clear enough: he puts in a cover that is threaded, so you can easily remove it agian for more testing!
Old Jan 15, 2002, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

No, I understood what you were saying 100%. I want an O2 sensor anyway for when I get a remappable ECU, so what I was saying if someone goes through the trouble to do all the difficult work, he might aswell leave it in, unless it costs top-dollar.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

I suppose he would also be the man to fit an EGT??
Old Jan 15, 2002, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

re: egt, give him a call. Say hello from me. I had the S6 and the Golf v6 there as well.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

BTW the S6 had an enormous drop in power at ca. 5000 rpm. I believe, this is where the cams adjust. After 5000 it pulls really well all the way to 7300! Does anyone know how to cure this?

Last edited by N.Ring; Jan 15, 2002 at 08:43 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

With the RC setup you need the FPR with their fuel pump to up the fuel pressure. Then you have to lean out the mixture again with the Apexi box. If you didn't lean it out the car would overfuel badly with this setup. Quite a crude method but seams to work.

As soon as my donwpipe arrives we'll cut a thread for the lambda probe so I can easily test all future mods on the dyno together with the boost curve.

Mike
Old Jan 15, 2002, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Is it the current S6 Gerrit? I can find out from a mate who drives one quite frequently what he thinks.

Scoobymike,

in gods name, don't go down the add-on route!!! I would never do it again if I had the choice, it's just something which will work out the same price for less quality and more weight. I'm not too keen on lots of displays all over the car...
I don't care what people say, even Apexi stuff is not even competition to a good remappable ECU. In no way are they the same quality when it comes to adjusting ALL the variables.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Yes Michael, it is the current Audi S6 4.2 (2000). Power is 347 din/ps at 7550 and 401 nm. It is rated at 340/420. But the powerloss at 5000 rpm sucks. Especially when one tries to overtake a bloddy diesel at ca 200km/h without downshifting. A few rpms later it goes again.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Michael

as written in another thread I could get the GEMS easily mapped here in Switzerland for a decent price and would have provided my map. No-one reacted on that so I skipped it.

Regarding RC. Never ever would I buy the Apexi stuff. Before you can modify the fueling you need to overfuel the car. Just crude. Also ignition is not changed at all. Also why do you need gear related boost settings on a 4WD car? Maybe for RWD to cap boost in the first two gears. Additionally I don't need different boost settings. If I want to save fuel I buy another car.

For the money and time people spend to fit and map those things you better bought a remap. ECU like the GEMS which is available as plug'n play.

Currently I already have everything I need enginewise and as I don't want to go above 350hp my Sports ECU is good enough. Considering I only paid 340 quidd it was a sensible investment.

I've looked into self-mapping and it isn't that difficult. Especially mapping for WOT is easy but things like cold start, idling etc. are the difficult areas. Unfortunately I don't have enough time due to business commitments.

Currently I'm just happy that I'll be able to drive my car again without undergoing a back surgery. Such misfortune can change your scope and now I'll just enjoy myself.

Cheers

Mike
Old Jan 15, 2002, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Michaelk
No, I understood what you were saying 100%. I want an O2 sensor anyway for when I get a remappable ECU, so what I was saying if someone goes through the trouble to do all the difficult work, he might aswell leave it in, unless it costs top-dollar.
A wideband o2, which I guess is what those of you across the pond refer to as a lambda, goes for over $1000 US, which is why most people tap the pipe and cover it, to be used only on the dyno. EGTs are much more economical for day to day use.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 06:43 AM

Could someone clarify for me, at what point is an uprated fuel pump needed?
Old Jan 15, 2002, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by stupidfast
Could someone clarify for me, at what point is an uprated fuel pump needed?
When modding the Evo, that is.

Trying to avoid the sarcastic "when you run out of fuel"
Old Jan 15, 2002, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

ok, scoobydoby, what you wrote is exactly what I meant. Cause I still got some money on my UK account, I might just get the GEMS with it and work on that when I have time, otherwise use the other ECU.
Should work as they are both P'n'P...

Gerrit, I'll ask my mate as to what he thinks, maybe your car has a fault or something.

DAMN, those wideband sensors are expensive!!! I think I'll forget that idea... just use it like they did with Gerrit's car. But I want an EGT sensor when the car gets tuned to the limit, just to have something to check on how the engine is doing...
Old Jan 15, 2002, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Listen, you can't be so stupid that you believe PE!!!!! They have no idea!!
Lots of people have stated that the standard pump is for something like up to 400 bhp. When I was still so dumb that I went to PE there sales pitch was "Hey, our pump (it's not theirs anyway) uses less energy than the standard one" which didn't really work for me. Ever since they said that the new pump is a "must" sales seem to have picked up. Weird that...

Quick Reply: Uprated fuel pump??