Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hole in my clutch housing, on tranny, caused tranny leak. Dowel Pin flew out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hole in my clutch housing, on tranny, caused tranny leak. Dowel Pin flew out

Ok, so about 6 months ago, i put in an ACT, and resurfaced flywheel... 6 months later one of my dowel pins decided to work its way out, and smacked a hole in my clutch housing on the tranny side, causing my tranny to leak. The dealer is wanting 1876$ to repair my car and put it all back to stock (clutch, new clutch housing, etc) ..i know my clutch is still good....has anyone had a dowel pin fly out?

Im at a loss of what to do...and have to let the dealership know monday morning on how I want to go about it.

http://www.streetcarforums.com/showt...threadid=36572

this is at least what the dealership told me is the culprit. I have yet 2 see 4 myself.

Last edited by 93civEJ1; Nov 12, 2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure the dowel came out? All the evos I've seen don't even have a dowel pin to begin with. Someone who's done more clutch jobs should probably chime in though.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Never heard ot that, who did the install? Contact ACTman, he knows the answer to this, goody goody gumdrops I know he does!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

My guess is that whoever re-rurfaced your flywheel. Didn't pound the dowel pin back into placed and worked it's way out.

I'd let the shop who cut your flywheel eat the bill.

Old Nov 12, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, you're referring to the dowel pins on the flywheel for the clutch. Not the dowel pin that's supposed to be on the crank for the flywheel.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

actually I did the clutch job myself and that was back at the beginning of may. The dowel pins were hammered back into the flywheel after being resurfaced. its lasted half a year of abuse and fine. I have yet to actually see the hole or the dowel pin/s missing. Im going to try to get to the dealership myself first thing monday morning and see if they are just dicking me or what. I mean, the guy even told me my cause was because "i have one of them lightweight flywheels" .....ITS STOCK......he said "well its yellow", he was talking about my clutch. I mean come on....dealerships need better knowledge.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

As you can see ...The Mitsu tech you are dealing with is taking the easy way out. Or just being ignorant and don't want to deal with the problem . They see " yellow" and everything to them is aftermarket.

Regardless...Are you paying them to take it apart? If you did the clutch job. Why didn't you just take it apart yourself to save the labor cost ?
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nad1370
As you can see ...The Mitsu tech you are dealing with is taking the easy way out. Or just being ignorant and don't want to deal with the problem . They see " yellow" and everything to them is aftermarket.

Regardless...Are you paying them to take it apart? If you did the clutch job. Why didn't you just take it apart yourself to save the labor cost ?

because, i do not have my own tools, my own garage, or yet a car to drive while its down. My buddy I usually do the work at sold his house.

This way I dont have to worry about my downtime, have a loaner car.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

This sounds suspect to me. If what they are telling you has any validity, and you want to have the dealership do the work for you, I highly recommend you make sure they give you your original parts back upon completion of the job and that you tell them in advance that you want them. If they're bullshi!!ing you, they will have a problem doing this and will give you random reasons why they can't.

BTW, you dealer offers a loaner car?? They wouldn't give me one unless I had to have major waranty work done, and even then it would have been a rental.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

no...i think i have decided, that im going to tell them to fix what needs to be fixed, but I want my ACT left in there. There is no reason to replace that brand new clutch just because supposedly a dowel pin flew out.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

i personally would stay away from stealerships
Old Nov 12, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ballistic speed
i personally would stay away from stealerships

I would too if possible...sometimes there isnt any other options at the moment.

What I would love to do is find another car to drive...get my car shipped somewhere where i can leave it in a garage on stands, ship my tranny to shep or jon at TRE...let them do what needs to be done, put it back together and be happy.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Go to Dyno4mance in GA, grab a truck/trailer, its worth the trip! It is just inside the GA border. I tow my car from INDY for large work like this. call him. I think it is in Calhoun GA right off I75!
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Go to Dyno4mance in GA, grab a truck/trailer, its worth the trip! It is just inside the GA border. I tow my car from INDY for large work like this. call him. I think it is in Calhoun GA right off I75!
Thanks Kevin for the props....I have met 93civEJ1 several times...he knows where we are....If you want us to remove the tranny Ronnie so it can be shipped to TRE we can do that....We have plenty of room to store the car if there is some down time
Let me know
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Hello again Andrew, now that my car is not shaking my kidneys apart, I will be down soon! I will let you know soon.

P.S. You never steered me wrong, you will ALWAYS get the props from me! You go that extra mile, where most I have dealt with wont! Cheers!

Last edited by smokedmustang; Nov 13, 2005 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Hole in my clutch housing, on tranny, caused tranny leak. Dowel Pin flew out