Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo timer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2003, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo timer

Hi, just joined as member. I will be buying the Airtrek turbo-r. Just wanted to check with the master mechanic here, whether a turbo timer is required to ensure reliability for the EVO II GTA engine.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 05:46 AM

The engine itself will be reliable without a turbo timer IF you are willing to idle the motor at least a minute after driving. All you are doing is allowing the oil to flow through the turbo and cool off the bearings. A quick shut off will cause the oil to "coke" or basically cook on the bearings.

Ever stir fry and check the sides of the pan after your done??
That's what your turbo bearing will look like if you don't let the car idle for a while. Start the engine up the next time and you'll be grinding all that cooked oil around.

If you are will to wait, you can save yourself some money and not buy the timer. But if you are impatient, you will end up spending the money on a turbo rebuild.

Old Mar 23, 2003, 07:58 PM

Jeff,

Thks for your advice. Is there a general rule pertaining to the timing before shutting down the engine?

I just read that, if it a short journey idling is recommended 3 mins and 5 mins for high rev long journey.

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:41 AM

3 minutes of idling is plenty... You can also drive the car lightly (in other words not boosting) in the last few blocks before you park it... that will have about the same effect as idling.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 02:25 AM

Thanks for your feedbacks.

I have decided to install the turbo timer. It is not too expensive, at least I don't have to worry about the waiting period etc... and probably set the timer to 2mins for the cool down period.