Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird Clicking/Popping When Taking Off

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Clicking/Popping When Taking Off

Hoping someone can shed some light on a noise I am hearing on my car.

When I am taking off from a dead stop, sometimes I hear a "click-click-click" sound coming from the drivetrain somewhere, like a popping knuckle sound. Seems to come from the front right side, but it "moves around" and sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the rear right. It's not the dashboard relays clicking, it's coming from somewhere under the car. It only happens when I am engaging the clutch and am at a complete stop. It tends to happen more and be louder when the car has been driven for awhile. It almost sounds like what you'd hear if an axle was going bad and clicking, but I've done some low speed circles in both directions in a parking lot and the sound does not occur. The car is not driving funny, no weird vibrations or pulses in the pedals or anything. It is occurring as the clutch is engaging and disappears once I've let the clutch pedal completely out. I know the Evo makes some strange noises at times but this is semi-consistent. Any help is appreciated.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

bump...

I have what seems like the same problem. Basically it only happens when I take off from a dead stop AND am turning at the same time. You can actually feel a very like clicking/thumping if your hand is resting on the E-brake.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

same problem..anyone?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bad TMJ makes a clicking sound................LOL. I bet it is normal, or at least you need to put the mods, recent mechanical work done, etc...... Might have more answers for ya.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
bump...

I have what seems like the same problem. Basically it only happens when I take off from a dead stop AND am turning at the same time. You can actually feel a very like clicking/thumping if your hand is resting on the E-brake.
I have the same exact issue
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:43 PM

I just started hearing this noise. In my opinion it is coming from right rear and onle does it when pulling out of a parking spot with your wheel cut. Sounds like an axle but it only does it when pulling out of a parking spot. Normal driving your dont hear it. My next oil change I'll blow the wheels off and take a look but if anyone knows what it is, let us know.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

While I'm not "glad" per say that you all are experiencing something similar, I am at least glad I'm not in this boat alone. I have not kept my hand on the e-brake when taking off, so I don't know if it is vibrating in sync with the noise. I've checked just about everything I know to check with the front end and have found nothing. Car is still driving perfect and I haven't felt any vibrations.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankwalked2G
I just started hearing this noise... but it only does it when pulling out of a parking spot. Normal driving your dont hear it...
I hate to state the obvious but, have you thought of avoiding parking spaces all together and just double parking your Evo everywhere that you go. I know for sure that SmokedMustang uses this technique. It works for him.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 17, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double Parking Ftw!!!
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:55 AM

Same exact problem here. only 8000 miles and started about at 7500. Probably ****ty quality build of these cars. have tons of noise but this is probably a big issue and has something to do with the drive train.

AND NO THIS SOUND IS NOT NORMAL. My car was fine until a couple of weaks ago and I also never have raced this car. So it's obviously not my driving style.

I will go to the dealership and see what they can/wont do.

Anyhow, I hope the warranty covers this at least since it's power train related.