Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much whine is too much whine when it comes to the TC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
How much whine is too much whine when it comes to the TC?

Ok guys I have an '03 Evo so of course I am scared to death about the Transfer Case on it. I dont beat on the car like a madman or anything. I go to the track about once a month and make 5 runs at the most. Im not running around doing 7 grand clutch drops at every stop light or anything.

My question is, will I be able to easily tell if my T case is starting to go? I have heard that the whine is pretty extreme, like a jet taking off or something. I have never rode in or heard an Evo with a T case problem. The only increase in drivetrain noise i have ever had was after my Twin Disk install. The only time I can really hear a whine at all is in 1st and 2nd gear. It is a slight whine and I am pretty sure it is because the gears are straight cut. In higher gears and at cruising on the highway I turn my radio off and cant hear any whine at all. Would the whine be loud enough to hear over my exhaust? Anyone that can help explain how loud is too loud, if the whine is louder at increasing speeds, and the normal drivetrain noise it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Ok guys I have an '03 Evo so of course I am scared to death about the Transfer Case on it. I dont beat on the car like a madman or anything. I go to the track about once a month and make 5 runs at the most. Im not running around doing 7 grand clutch drops at every stop light or anything.

My question is, will I be able to easily tell if my T case is starting to go? I have heard that the whine is pretty extreme, like a jet taking off or something. I have never rode in or heard an Evo with a T case problem. The only increase in drivetrain noise i have ever had was after my Twin Disk install. The only time I can really hear a whine at all is in 1st and 2nd gear. It is a slight whine and I am pretty sure it is because the gears are straight cut. In higher gears and at cruising on the highway I turn my radio off and cant hear any whine at all. Would the whine be loud enough to hear over my exhaust? Anyone that can help explain how loud is too loud, if the whine is louder at increasing speeds, and the normal drivetrain noise it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
take it out now before it blows up and send it to shep.

i plan to do this prophylactically at some point, save much more in the long run...
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:57 AM

Exedy Single/Twin carbon clutches are known to have a "normal" whine.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it whines louder than your girlfriend, send it to shep
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Also, unless you have a transmission with straight cut gears, you stock transmission does not have straight cut gears. Ive never ridden in a bad Tcased evo either, so I cant help you there. But in my car, I could hear a slight whine in 1st.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is when mine let go, was 150 miles AFTER a clutch install (Exedy twin disc) hit the search button, and type "tornado siren", and look for a thread I started on this. good info in there.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

i thought that reverse had straight cut gears, which is why it whines. but 1-5 dont
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by shbomb8188; Jun 26, 2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dr. SS

i plan to do this prophylactically at some point, save much more in the long run...
Ummm ... are you saying that you are going to ship your TC to Shep wrapped in a prophylactic?!?

TeStUdO, don't fret it so much. When the TC starts to go, it will be LOUD. Definitely noticeable over the clutch noise. For now, just keep changing the TC fluid religiously (15K or less). I change mine every 5-8K.

l8r)
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Dr. SS

"Ummm ... are you saying that you are going to ship your TC to Shep wrapped in a prophylactic?!? "

I think he means it as a damn genius adverb to describe a "precautionary" measure. Its funny too because launching an evo with a stock front diff is totally like raw-*******. Feels great but there is always that fear in the back of your head that you might have broken something. Then the paranoia of looking for symptoms the next day takes the fun out of it.

PS sorry I messed up the quotes...
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

It is really really loud, you will know. Mine only made noise on deacceleration
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey we should meet up some time, I am still taking classes at CP. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Originally Posted by TeStUdO

Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Hey we should meet up some time, I am still taking classes at CP. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

I graduated already but I am a Terp for life. Im definitely down with meeting up whenever. I work in DC.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Since my Evo doesnt make any loud whining sound at all I would guess its good to go.

smokedmustang,

thanks for referring me to that thread. It was a big help
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ibanez_926
It is really really loud, you will know. Mine only made noise on deacceleration
I just started noticing mine this morning and only on deceleration in 4th. It may have done this b4 I just haven't noticed bc my amp just blew out on me so I have no radio currrently.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah after yesterdays track even I'm getting a louder than normal whine during first gear decel. I don't hear a peep in any other gear. I change my fluids every other month so I'll give that a try before I get to worried.

Can't really complain tho.. 55k miles with not one single problem.