Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Am I gonna blow my Driveshaft? Shaking BAD!! Intermittently

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Am I gonna blow my Driveshaft? Shaking BAD!! Intermittently

Hello kids!! pull up a chair, its Story time! I will cue the violins, as Daddy has problems again.

This problem happened 4 times today, never in boost, just at cruising speeds, NOT speed related, is still there with the clutch depressed, or just plain cruising in 5th gear.

I had issues with the carrier bearing (center) during a dyno with AMS. have the problem fixed now. Anyway, on the way to work today (65 highway miles each way), I started to hear a "loudening" of the exhaust, which kept getting louder and louder, for about a mile, then the noise went away. It sounded like the exhaust pipe was cracking, or splitting in half. Wierd.

Then 15 miles down the road, I got the gradual exhaust leak sound coming back again. this time, I put my hand over the floor (between the seats-I have no center console, so my hand is on the floor) and could feel the Clunking of the driveshaft under the car. when the sound is there, the clunking is felt. When the noise is NOT there, I feel nothing when my hand is on the floor between the seats, I only feel the "clunking" of the driveshaft when the loud EXHAUST noise is there.

The last time it made the noise, I felt the vibrations thru my seat, the "outside noise" was getting super loud, like running an open downpipe. I tried to make the noise go away, by pushing in the clutch, slowing down, on and off the gas, but the problem stayed. I got to 50MPH or so, and the noise went away, so did the vibration. I continued to work at various speeds, up to 85MPH, and hasn't come back yet. I do hear what sounds like "tire hum" though, but with my luck, and my guess, its NOT tire hum. Even though I have new tires.

If it was a carrier bearing, and it was bad, would it ALWAYS be bad? I don't know what would cause this "intermittent" problem. Its either BROKE or it's NOT, correct?

Does anyone have any input on what my mechanical issue is this time? could the driveshaft be out of alignment? if so, why isn't it speed related? it happens at different speeds, NO boost. I did get on the boost when it went away and it did nothing out of the ordinary, ran fine.

Help if you can, laugh at me if you can't......... Dr. Jack Kevorkian is not taking new "patients" anyway.

Last edited by smokedmustang; Sep 18, 2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like the carrier bearing might be out of alignment and if it is out of alignment then that means that your drive shaft maybe also. Your driveshaft may also be rubbing on your exhaust. Have you ran over anything significant or bottomed out lately? It doesn't take much to throw your driveshaft out of alignment. Take it to the shop and have them make sure that the floor is not bent or out of shape were the carrier bearing goes. The reason I am saying this is because I ran over a 18-wheeler re-cap and it bent the floor were the carrier bearing bolts up. If the carrier bearing is out of alignment it will cause pre-mature failure.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by caswanso
It sounds like the carrier bearing might be out of alignment and if it is out of alignment then that means that your drive shaft maybe also. Your driveshaft may also be rubbing on your exhaust. Have you ran over anything significant or bottomed out lately? It doesn't take much to throw your driveshaft out of alignment. Take it to the shop and have them make sure that the floor is not bent or out of shape were the carrier bearing goes. The reason I am saying this is because I ran over a 18-wheeler re-cap and it bent the floor were the carrier bearing bolts up. If the carrier bearing is out of alignment it will cause pre-mature failure.
Thanks for the input! It might be the CV joint in the driveshaft. I have been told you CAN'T get the CV joints WITHOUT getting the whole driveshaft!???! 1800 retail? I will have more diagnostics later today! Again, I appreciate your response.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

oh yuck. sorry to hear bout this, Kev.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

I've never taken a good look at our drive shafts do they have any sort of balance counter weights?

If they do it could be that they have gotten knocked off or when you got the carrier replaced the 2 shafts where not properly installed in relation to the counter weights.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noogles
I've never taken a good look at our drive shafts do they have any sort of balance counter weights?

If they do it could be that they have gotten knocked off or when you got the carrier replaced the 2 shafts where not properly installed in relation to the counter weights.
Great point!! I got to find that out! I appreciate you input as well, gives me more to chew on.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hashiriya
oh yuck. sorry to hear bout this, Kev.
Not as sorry as your gonna feel, once I "steal" your driveshaft You will have to drive it, and see for yourself.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
go and find your nearest voodoo witch doctor and sacrifice a few dozen chickens... maybe you will get some better luck
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
go and find your nearest voodoo witch doctor and sacrifice a few dozen chickens... maybe you will get some better luck
I already tried that! and the next morning I got out of bed, stepped on my "new and improved" Johnson, tripped, and damn near fell out the window! I need a safer method to get thru this.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I already tried that! and the next morning I got out of bed, stepped on my "new and improved" Johnson, tripped, and damn near fell out the window! I need a safer method to get thru this.
LMAO I think that is the funniest thing that I have heard in a long time.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by caswanso
LMAO I think that is the funniest thing that I have heard in a long time.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

smokedmustang,

Why not take your Evo to a local shop and put it on a lift
and see if you can simulate your symptoms ?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spec'd
smokedmustang,

Why not take your Evo to a local shop and put it on a lift
and see if you can simulate your symptoms ?
It happens at anywhere from 50-85MPH, I can guarentee my tie and myself would surely get sucked in to the driveshaft, if I was standing under the lift trying to get up to "simulation speeds"

I got under it, and wiggled the driveshaft, everything else I thought could cause the problem but couldn't hear anything, nothing loose, CV joints are fine. They are taking it out to speeds now. I don't know what the heck it is, nor why it sounds like an OPEN exhaust for a mile or 2, before getting quiet again. its strange. the gauges are fine, no steering wheel shudder, just a loud noise, and the "tap-tap" under the tunnel, WHEN the noise is there. there has always been a tire HUM since the new tires are on, about 1K miles ago. I can't simmulate the noise on the lift, so it has to be done at speeds I guess. I will have answers shortly. Thanks for replying.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

That's a messed up symptom to have.

Is the rear rollstop motormount tight or still intack ?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spec'd
That's a messed up symptom to have.

Is the rear rollstop motormount tight or still intack ?
Great question, I will go look. They took the car out for a spin, and found NO reproduction of the symptoms. I am going home in 1/2 hour, 65 miles, and I will tell you if it happens again.

Quick Reply: Am I gonna blow my Driveshaft? Shaking BAD!! Intermittently