Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wow Look what i found. HKS LA CLUTCH (single plate)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sell the product why dont you give us a review.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
You sell the product why dont you give us a review.
the HKS LA clutch? I've never sold one. Twin disc clutches are better for shifting at high rpms in evos because there is less inertia on the input shaft due to the smaller diameter of the clutch.

-Steve1
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
the HKS LA clutch? I've never sold one. Twin disc clutches are better for shifting at high rpms in evos because there is less inertia on the input shaft due to the smaller diameter of the clutch.

-Steve1
that is not true. reducing the diameter of the clutch discs ~10% and then adding an extra disc does not reduce the inertia.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:31 PM

IIRC, even in the scenario of a single and twin which are of the same total weight, if the the twin is of smaller diameter, the moment of inertia of the twin would be lower. The only thing I'm uncertain on is if the distribution of the mass across two discs would create a variance great enough to offset the distribution of mass caveat.

In general, though, I would say that Steve is write on this part. Multi-plate clutches aren't just because you can handle a higher maximum power, they also locate the mass needed, for that holding ability, closer to the axis of rotation.

Last edited by articfury; Jan 16, 2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anybody actually tried this clutch out?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlution561
Has anybody actually tried this clutch out?
When you have some many american company's with a clutch setup for the evo alot of people just go with that. VS spending money and down time to get a jdm clutch in unless a local shop stocks them.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by articfury
IIRC, even in the scenario of a single and twin which are of the same total weight, if the the twin is of smaller diameter, the moment of inertia of the twin would be lower. The only thing I'm uncertain on is if the distribution of the mass across two discs would create a variance great enough to offset the distribution of mass caveat.

In general, though, I would say that Steve is write on this part. Multi-plate clutches aren't just because you can handle a higher maximum power, they also locate the mass needed, for that holding ability, closer to the axis of rotation.

This isn't a 100mm carbon twin vs a 240mm organic single. one ~240mm disc will have less inertia then 2 ~220mm discs. I couldn't find it on the website but i'd venture a guess that the HKS LA disc is also around 220mm like the exedy hyper single is.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
that is not true. reducing the diameter of the clutch discs ~10% and then adding an extra disc does not reduce the inertia.

Before the Indy and F1 cars had DSG stlye transmissions, you ever see their clutches? I think I even saw a 5 or 6 disc clutch setup and they were the diamerter of cd's. So that has no less inertia on the input shaft then one single disc the size of a 45 record?

-Steve
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Speed Element
the evo transmission doesn't react to well when using single plate clutch kit setup.
after you have presented so much fact in your argument it is hard to disagree
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

The Light Action clutch kits from HKS are actually meant for street cars. The light action is referring to the actual pedal feel, not the way it grabs. They are a single disc set up, similar in design to the Exedy Hyper Single, but not as high of performance. We've sold and installed a few of these so far, and they have worked out great. The cars we've installed them on have been cars with fairly light modifications like a FPGreen or GT3071 with only pump gas maps (CA pump, the toilet water). They feel basically like a stock car with SLIGHTLY stiffer pedal pressure, marginal changes from stock. The clutch tends to grab harder then stock, but lighter then an ACT 2900 or Exedy twin plate. The engagement is not like a on/off switch, but more smooth and allows more slipping when needed.

I'll see if I can get some measurements of the clutch disc next time one comes through, we have two more on order right now. I hope this helps...

Jerry
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Before the Indy and F1 cars had DSG stlye transmissions, you ever see their clutches? I think I even saw a 5 or 6 disc clutch setup and they were the diamerter of cd's. So that has no less inertia on the input shaft then one single disc the size of a 45 record?

-Steve

according to cosworth the reason they ran the small dia clutches in the DFV engine was to lower the crank centerline and thus lower the cg of the engine.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This looks good on their site!

Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full Function
The Light Action clutch kits from HKS are actually meant for street cars. The light action is referring to the actual pedal feel, not the way it grabs. They are a single disc set up, similar in design to the Exedy Hyper Single, but not as high of performance. We've sold and installed a few of these so far, and they have worked out great. The cars we've installed them on have been cars with fairly light modifications like a FPGreen or GT3071 with only pump gas maps (CA pump, the toilet water). They feel basically like a stock car with SLIGHTLY stiffer pedal pressure, marginal changes from stock. The clutch tends to grab harder then stock, but lighter then an ACT 2900 or Exedy twin plate. The engagement is not like a on/off switch, but more smooth and allows more slipping when needed.

I'll see if I can get some measurements of the clutch disc next time one comes through, we have two more on order right now. I hope this helps...

Jerry

And there is your review. And quote ( "We've sold and installed a few of these so far, and they have worked out great.")
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:47 PM

JDM, yo. Mad tyte.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

-Steve

this is not so much directed at you as much as this forum as a whole

Can we please stop comparing what full out race cars with race teams and million dollars in factory support do to their cars to the average evo?

It's really annoying to see so many people want to justify what they do to their cars based off of cars that have a team of people working on them race after race

Quick Reply: Wow Look what i found. HKS LA CLUTCH (single plate)