Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wow Look what i found. HKS LA CLUTCH (single plate)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please post

Pics and your comments on the install and use. There's not many information about that clutch.

Best regards,
Old May 22, 2012, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems. The clutch should be arriving tomorrow. Not exactly sure when it will be installed, this week or next as I have a new turbo and dump, amongst other bits and pieces to be done too.

I'll be sure to post some pics and info on how it goes.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:46 PM

Finally started getting the upgrades done ...

Decided to give the single plate version a try instead of the twin (got jerked around on the twin) long story. Plus I got the new HKS GTII KIA 7460 installed. Still up on the hoist atm, got a few more bits and pieces to go, then tuning and what not. Will post up what I think of the clutch once its all done.

Old Jul 6, 2012, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed Element
the evo transmission doesn't react to well when using single plate clutch kit setup.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
Eh? I don't know from which thread that came from, but I can assure you THAT statement is utter garbage!
Its hard to give an honest appraisal of the HKS LA clutch now that I own one. Whatever I say will obviously come across as a biased opinion. I will say this though, the previous clutch used was a HKS Twin Plate Clutch. This was not the LA twin version clutch but an older model. Heaps of bite, and a real pain in the rear in stop/start traffic.
Its been as fair while since I've driven an Evo with a stock clutch. But I remember the stock clutch as being really easy to operate, the twin plate was anything but. I'm not slagging twin plate clutches, my mates Evo uses an Exedy twin plate and its fantastic. But this HKS LA clutch is without a doubt the most friendliest clutch I've ever used. I'll go out on a limb and say its even easier than the stock clutch to operate.
For me personally its perfect. Quick gear changes, minimal effort, and pure bliss going to and coming home from work in nightmare traffic. In a nut shell my ride is a pleasure to drive, and I have plenty of power too. So fears of too much power for only a single plate clutch is a non-issue here.

I'm pushing 340kW which is roughly 450+ Horse Power, which is plenty of grunt, and the clutch handles it perfectly. Great clutch, really happy I bought it.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

That comment came from page 1 of this thread...like the 2nd comment
Old Jul 6, 2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by dscevo8
That comment came from page 1 of this thread...like the 2nd comment
lol my bad I have this thread bookmarked at page 7 sorry.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by idle
Eh? I don't know from which thread that came from, but I can assure you THAT statement is utter garbage!
Its hard to give an honest appraisal of the HKS LA clutch now that I own one. Whatever I say will obviously come across as a biased opinion. I will say this though, the previous clutch used was a HKS Twin Plate Clutch. This was not the LA twin version clutch but an older model. Heaps of bite, and a real pain in the rear in stop/start traffic.
Its been as fair while since I've driven an Evo with a stock clutch. But I remember the stock clutch as being really easy to operate, the twin plate was anything but. I'm not slagging twin plate clutches, my mates Evo uses an Exedy twin plate and its fantastic. But this HKS LA clutch is without a doubt the most friendliest clutch I've ever used. I'll go out on a limb and say its even easier than the stock clutch to operate.
For me personally its perfect. Quick gear changes, minimal effort, and pure bliss going to and coming home from work in nightmare traffic. In a nut shell my ride is a pleasure to drive, and I have plenty of power too. So fears of too much power for only a single plate clutch is a non-issue here.

I'm pushing 340kW which is roughly 450+ Horse Power, which is plenty of grunt, and the clutch handles it perfectly. Great clutch, really happy I bought it.
the first version hks twin was a horrible clutch. harsh friction material , noisy design. the new la twin is smoother than the la single. what you have in the la single is a factory type disc with a better pressure plate. has increased leverage on the disc but without an increase in pedal pressure. hks clutches are nice for daily use but horribly over priced for what you get. heck they even charge 700+ just for replacement disc. compare to factor disc at dealer for 175.