Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Thoughts on going straight methanol? Fuel requirements? Ignition?Engine build?

Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on going straight methanol? Fuel requirements? Ignition?Engine build?

I'm really thinking of going straight Methanol on my 42r build. Was thinking 10 1600cc injectors and a mechanical Weldon pump thats belt driven.
Ive been talking to RREV Motorsports and they have a colt with a 4g63 and a auto that runs straight methanol. Ive yet to see any Evos running Just straight methanol.
If anyone has any experience in here on this type of build your thoughts would be appreciated
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

I was also thinking of filling half the block with concrete.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

RRev seems to have goodluck with it, well usually.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim_Patterson
RRev seems to have goodluck with it, well usually.
I'm goingto be picking there brain here the next week on whats needed to run straight methanol
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

slow down
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

a company over here in the UK did it on an EVO 6. ran well with there T88 turbo!

they are called RC Developments. here is their site (not very good its just been rebuilt)

http://www.rcdevelopments.com/portal/

there are a few vids kicking about on the net. worth a look.

as for requieremnts, you will need nearly 100% more fuel i think. so your going to need 8 injectors and a kick *** fuel system. also some of the V8 guys say you need to flush the system. some say with the very best parts you dont need to!

you might also want to ditch the intercooler and mount another couple of injectors futher down the intake track to act as a chemical intercooler. will help spool times and reduce lag!

timing i have no idea, but i bet you could run a whole tload more! also might be worth looking at compresion. i have seen some running over 10.0-1 and BIG boost! this will obviously help spool and responce evne further!

finally what the hell are you planning on doing with the car??? lol drag i take it??

Chris.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

i have tried to dig up some info but cant really find much about it at the mo. will have another look tomorrow

have you thought about injecting nitromeathane as an additive??? might work well and i know VP well it!

Chris.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 05:29 AM

I run meth on almost all my cars. It's my fuel of choice.

fuel requirements are at least double and mech fuel pumps are the only way to do it. Unless you plan to waste money on multiple elec pumps.

Ign will have to be a strong CDI box of some sort. I would stick with M&W/Autronic/Motec.

Engine build should now consist of more compression, looser tolerences, and very strong parts. Don't try to run cheap rods as you will send them thru your block.

remember there's pro's and con's with everything and meth is no different.
You have to run good fuel hose that supports meth. You'll also have to keep it air free if you plan to store it for any amount of time otherwise it will contaimate and clog up. It turns a milky white when this happens. Or get in the habit of draining fuel out of the car every time you put it away.

Also frequent oil changes are required. Meth requires a bit of maintanence but what other fuel would allow you to run insame amount of boost...
Old Jun 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Brent Rau runs this in his 4G63 Drag car.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mRdFb1oEui8

Not sure if he has the block filled, but damn it makes good power!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EnzoFerrari
I run meth on almost all my cars. It's my fuel of choice.

fuel requirements are at least double and mech fuel pumps are the only way to do it. Unless you plan to waste money on multiple elec pumps.

Ign will have to be a strong CDI box of some sort. I would stick with M&W/Autronic/Motec.

Engine build should now consist of more compression, looser tolerences, and very strong parts. Don't try to run cheap rods as you will send them thru your block.

remember there's pro's and con's with everything and meth is no different.
You have to run good fuel hose that supports meth. You'll also have to keep it air free if you plan to store it for any amount of time otherwise it will contaimate and clog up. It turns a milky white when this happens. Or get in the habit of draining fuel out of the car every time you put it away.

Also frequent oil changes are required. Meth requires a bit of maintanence but what other fuel would allow you to run insame amount of boost...
Yeah this sounds about right Right now im using Oliver Rods and would switch to aluminum rods plus. My friends has to wear that big *** clown suit to race. I guess thats what NHRA requires for running straight meth.

Last edited by Paul Nelson; Jun 15, 2007 at 06:23 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

One thing we do have is E98 mixed with 92 octane Were going to try that. Ive used E85 with meth and 2-m10 jets with good luck so far. I think im going to do E98 with 2-15 jets. I bet i could make 50-100more whp over C-16
Old Jun 15, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that Turbo Trix runs straight meth on an STI that they have. Be prepared to spend huge amounts of money. IMO that money is better spent elsewhere, but to each his own. You may want to start looking into fire suppression systems. Meth fires are nasty and invisible for the most part. I wonder what the leagality of running meth on the streets is? Good luck, you seem to know what you are getting into.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by EvoTech
Be prepared to spend huge amounts of money. IMO that money is better spent elsewhere, but to each his own.
How so? If anything it's cheaper..

Let's see Weldon 2345 fuel pump (~$1200) or mech fuel pump (~700)

VP Import Fuel 5 gal (~$130) or 55gal Methanol (~$200)

Besides needing twice the amount of injectors i don't see how or where you would spend huge amounts of money. Plus the many benefits of using meth.

There's an old saying when fuel comes to mind:

Gas is for cleaning
Alky is for drinking
Nitro is for Racing!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
target a 5.60 afr. just be certain to configure your wide band for methanol, due to fiel density / specific gravity differnces from gasoline.

run as much fuel pressure as possible.

i would install additional fuel injectors, but different / in addition to how ams does it.

compression ratio isnt a issue either.....we ran +16.0 cr on ~ 4psi of boost, just to give you a idea. boost limited per rules.

pm me for details if you care too.

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Jun 15, 2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

WOT you got any more info on the setup with 16-1 comp?? is it a race motor??

thaks Chris.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on going straight methanol? Fuel requirements? Ignition?Engine build?