Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can someone help diagnose this oil leak (photos)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help diagnose this oil leak (photos)

I have a very slow oil leak. No oil stains on my driveway. No noticeable reduction in the fluid level between oil changes. But when I get underneath the car, its all over the place.

looking from underneath, it looks like the oil is coming from the area right above the oil pan and the transfer case -more towards the center of the car. The oil return line is clean and dry.

Below are a couple of photos looking from underneath. You can see the oil pan and xfer xcase for reference.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Can someone help diagnose this oil leak (photos)-imgp0261.jpg   Can someone help diagnose this oil leak (photos)-imgp0260.jpg  
Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:34 PM
Account Disabled

might be the rear main seal. Thats what mine looked like

-Kyle
Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Did you do head studs 1 at a time?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Head gasket.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
I have a very slow oil leak. No oil stains on my driveway. No noticeable reduction in the fluid level between oil changes. But when I get underneath the car, its all over the place.

looking from underneath, it looks like the oil is coming from the area right above the oil pan and the transfer case -more towards the center of the car. The oil return line is clean and dry.

Below are a couple of photos looking from underneath. You can see the oil pan and xfer xcase for reference.

Any ideas?
+1

I have this same leak. When I found it, I changed the head gasket right away. The gasket was fine, and I still have this leak. I do have arp head studs that were on the car when I got it, so I'm not sure they were installed correctly?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99.9% this is a result of installing the headstuds with the 1x1 method. I have seen it first hand at least 10X and heard of it dozens of times. Do a search on head studs and you will find a lot of info on this. The bad news is that most likely it can not be stopped even if you crank down a bit more on the head studs. The good news is that it is harmless and does not get any worse than it is right now. I knew better than doing the 1x1 method but I was too lazy to take the head off and I ended up with the same oil weeping down the back of by engine. I am taking the head off next week to do pistons and rods so hopefully I can finally stop this leak at the same time.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

^ +1 I have have the same leak after headstuds.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may want to look for the oil sending unit...
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:48 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
what is the 1X1 method?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
what is the 1X1 method?
Removing the stock head bolts and replacing them with ARP studs one at a time.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

If it its the headgasket why does it always happen on the back of the motor? Mine is doing it to. If i reach to where the head meets the block, i don't feel any oil there, but there are a few plugs and a oil sending unit back there i just can't see well enough to see where it is coming from.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:25 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by modvp
Removing the stock head bolts and replacing them with ARP studs one at a time.
thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had the same problem, was the head gasket.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Spaceball 1
If it its the headgasket why does it always happen on the back of the motor? Mine is doing it to. If i reach to where the head meets the block, i don't feel any oil there, but there are a few plugs and a oil sending unit back there i just can't see well enough to see where it is coming from.
The oil supply galley/port that feeds oil to the top end of motor is at rear of motor at corner of cylinder #4 and this may have been a result of installing Head Studs IMPROPERLY using the 1X1 method.The 1X1 method can be done correctly if a few extra steps are taken to prevent doing it improperly.
When you pull the original head bolt out the threaded hole in block will fill with oil,in most cases and if you attempt to fully install and tighten the stud that you are putting in it will only screw in so far then it tries to compress the oil that has filled the hole and you will not fully seat the stud resulting in IMPROPER installation.It is very important to blow these holes with compressed air as much as possible to get all oil out of hole before installing new stud.

Last edited by turboDan; Jun 21, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

mirror

Originally Posted by Spaceball 1
Get a mechanics mirror and take a look I think you'll see better.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Jun 21, 2007 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Can someone help diagnose this oil leak (photos)