Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best route to take on transmission and clutch?? Shep VS TRE??? HELP PLEASE!!!!

Old Sep 9, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best route to take on transmission and clutch?? Shep VS TRE??? HELP PLEASE!!!!

First of all, I have an 05 MR w/25k miles on it.. I have about 320awhp... but I am wanting closer to 400awhp in the future.

My clutch is pretty much COMPLETELY gone and my car is barely driveable w/an INSANE amount of slip ... I am going to get the Exedy Twin Plate HD clutch for sure, but I need help on transmission ideas?

My tranny is the 6 speed and 2nd gear syncros aren't right.. so I am going to get it rebuilt, since now is the time with the tranny already going to be out of the car..

I really need to know if Shep or TRE rebuild the 6 speeds??? On their websites, all it talks about is the 5 speed.. I do realize the 5 speed is stronger, but I have the 6 speed

So here is my options.. Shep and TRE rebuild trannys (im not sure if he can rebuild 6 speed) for the 5 speeds for around 900 bucks..

TRE offers a "Exchange Service" which I send them my tranny (I dont know if you can send the 6 speed, but most likely you can) .. then they send me a Stage 2 fully built tranny.. so I give them my tranny +$1800 for the stage 2.

Also, I have a friend that works at Mitsubishi that will rebuild mine on the side for 2k, which includes a clutch install, all fluids changed, 1st and 2nd gear set w/all syncros in all gears, all keys, rings, springs, forks, hub and sleeve for 2nd gear, and all pins.

Please offer suggestions!!! I need this done ASAP!! It is a lot of money to fork out so I really want to try to go the cheapest, but BEST way possible!

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 9, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

im pretty sure the stock 6 speed is fine at 400whp?

clutch wise the twin plate exedy will be more than enough
Old Sep 9, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Talk to Jon at TRE (if you can get him on the phone). He rebuilds 6 speeds, but reccommends everybody to get the 5 speed.

He will also tell you to shy away from a HD twin plate like the Exedy. I have one, and personally I like it, but it really is overkill for a street/occaisional track car.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 02:31 PM

i think shep rebuilds 6 spds. i got a buddy that has a MR and he just put a shep 5spd in his car. he will sell you a converision kit too. I would have your friend do it if you trust him. that sounds like a cheap deal.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Okay.. so question.. is the SD exedy more ideal for what I want/need for daily driving... is the HD just too much of an overkill for daily and the horsepower I am going to be running>?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Need help please...