Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I want to run a antilag setup on my evo 9, what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to run a antilag setup on my evo 9, what do I need?

I want to run a antilag setup on my evo 9, what do I need? How long will my turbo last as a daily driver and exhaust manifold? How much will my gas milage suffer? Or exactly how long my and turbo would last. I read the turbo will last 5000 miles but that cant be true, can it? Will my evo be real loud idling with an anti lag setup?

Last edited by chrsevx; Oct 12, 2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

i highly doubt anti lag messes up the turbo. i have been doing it on my green turbo for the longest and still no problems. it doesnt affect the idling of the car either. do a search and get some more information on what happens during the anti lag because from your questions i would say you have no idea what anti lag is. o disrespect just my .02c
Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know what the guy above me is talking about but yes, eventually it WILL destroy the turbo. I dont know how he thinks it wont, but with the constant heat and flames going through the manifold, then turbine housing, and then out the exhaust, its going to damage the internals of the turbo.

As for the setup... If your thinking about a 2-step antilag, well then yeah your dumping fuel while retarding timing, your going to waste gas, but not like its going to drop you to a half a tank. But if your talking about the antilag while you shift, well also again, its not going to ruin your gas mileage... Unless your beating on your car then obviously WOT wastes more gas than cruising.... Hope this helps.

Dan

Last edited by 90GSXDan; Oct 12, 2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you´re talking about the factory anti-lag setup that comes on the JDM motors, then you should first search out a good photo image of a JDM engine bay. Most of the bits and pieces are readily visible and right out in the open. If you can find an Evo owner close by who has a JDM VII etc, then that would be easiest to see what´s involved.

I'd think that if you sourced all that stuff through an aftermarket dealer, it would add up to over $1200 easily. But, that´s just a wild guess. Are the USDM exhaust manifolds already tapped for the two banjo bolts that are threaded into the JDM manifolds?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by quick silver 8
i highly doubt anti lag messes up the turbo. i have been doing it on my green turbo for the longest and still no problems. it doesnt affect the idling of the car either. do a search and get some more information on what happens during the anti lag because from your questions i would say you have no idea what anti lag is. o disrespect just my .02c
Are you running mild anti lag or full anti lag. How long have you been using either of the anti lag setups? Do you have a converted usdm motor or a jdm motor.

I was told by trinydex that the anti lag with a gt35r turbo would destroy my exahust system in a few days.

Last edited by chrsevx; Oct 12, 2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DO NOT use anti lag on a street setup. A MUCH better alternative is the no lift shift mod (which holds boosts while shifting). I have ridden in a Evo9 that never dropped below 18psi between shifts using this modification. All that is needed is a reflash. Look it up!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
DO NOT use anti lag on a street setup. A MUCH better alternative is the no lift shift mod (which holds boosts while shifting). I have ridden in a Evo9 that never dropped below 18psi between shifts using this modification. All that is needed is a reflash. Look it up!
I dont want my tranny to explode from no lift shifting.

Do you have a link to the thread you're talking about?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
why?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:37 PM

chrsevx... i hope u know wot antilag is... its reduce the turbo lag... so u use it only to spool up the turbo faster.. & evo ix s do it really good..

if ur planing on going for a rally do it & yes antilag will kill ur turbo soon & its not good for the engine as well.. if u want antilag just to make ur car sound loud get a cut out.. if u still want some flames get a good 2 step tune for ur lonch... i know a guy whos 2 step gives him 20 psi :S & shoots flames like crazy...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by chrsevx
Are you running mild anti lag or full anti lag. How long have you been using either of the anti lag setups? Do you have a converted usdm motor or a jdm motor.

I was told by trinydex that the anti lag with a gt35r turbo would destroy my exahust system in a few days.
ok 1st u dont run ur stock exaust wit a 35r & if u have a good TBE nothing will happen to it.. to be honest a good TBE will be the only thing that will handel the beating of antilag..
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

The folks that I hillclimb with (STis) that use antilag and basically said that like brake pads and tires, they also budget for frequent turbo replacements. They all use switches so that they can turn it on a few seconds before the start flag drops, its not something you would want turned on all the time. It will heat up everything, and put more stress on the motor.

I can't think of any reason at all you'd want to run antilag on the street. Drag strip, sure...get that turbo spooling before you take off...but doesn't a good launch control feature get you making some boost? Road racing, sure I can understand, it'll help you pull out of the slower turns with better power down low. Rally - great place for it...nothing like the sound of anti-lag echoing thru the trees!!!

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RenEvoIX
chrsevx... i hope u know wot antilag is... its reduce the turbo lag... so u use it only to spool up the turbo faster.. & evo ix s do it really good..

if ur planing on going for a rally do it & yes antilag will kill ur turbo soon & its not good for the engine as well.. if u want antilag just to make ur car sound loud get a cut out.. if u still want some flames get a good 2 step tune for ur lonch... i know a guy whos 2 step gives him 20 psi :S & shoots flames like crazy...

Actually the reason im interested in anti laag is too have a responsive car that takes off from a light like a v8 without reving it.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by chrsevx
Actually the reason im interested in anti laag is too have a responsive car that takes off from a light like a v8 without reving it.
Well thats what the factory launch limiter will let you do. You dont need antilag for doing what you are talking about. Between the launch limiter and properly configured NLTS patch you'll be golden.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:18 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Well thats what the factory launch limiter will let you do. You dont need antilag for doing what you are talking about. Between the launch limiter and properly configured NLTS patch you'll be golden.
I'm saying no engine reving instant turbo response. That is not what you are explaining

Last edited by chrsevx; Oct 12, 2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
With the vehicle not moving, push the clutch in, hold your foot on the brake, and push the throttle ALL THE WAY DOWN. It will only go to 5K, now let the clutch out rather quickly and hold on. Ignore the rest of my post cause I dont think you are quite ready for that.

Quick Reply: I want to run a antilag setup on my evo 9, what do I need?