Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Mysterious active differential problem

Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My Mysterious active differential problem

this has been an ongoing problem for about 1 month and has me baffeled
hoping my people at evom have the solution besides a visit to the dreaded De-mod and visit to dealership
Car: evo 9 MR w/13k

one day all 3 lights tarmac/snow/gravel lit up like a tree and 3 days later the differential started to make a wining noise like she was a goner.

Drained the fluid & flushed the tranny and diff fine metalics in diff fluid but nothing to write home about, noticeably more than anything else the diff fluid was **** thin.

swapped all the fluids out and problem went away for about 3 days, on the third day popped the hood and noticed my active center diff fluid was low. No problem so i filled it with dextron 3 ............again..............and again................and again.......... 3 1/2 quarts later ( 2 more than what is called for!).

recently the noise came back the same old whine, put her back up on the lift dumped the tranny fluid........all good, Then dumped the diff fluid and what i saw was dextron 3 purple and like water.

some how for some reason the center active diff wont stop syphoning itself into the diff fluid. a seal is shot some where but just need a general idea what direction to shoot before i dump a clip.

Thanks for all the help
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:07 PM

First off you shouldn't fill your ACD with Dexron 3, you should use Mistu SPIII ATF for the ACD system. Have you taken it to the dealer? Because if all three lights light up on your ACD settings that would indicate that the ACD system has a problem. I suggest that you take it the dealer and have them take care of it.

Tobias
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

you defintly need to take it to the dealer.. its still under warranty soo why not

my 3 lights came on.. took it there, they flushed the system, bled it... a month later the lights came on.. braught it back .. they serviced it again.. than a month after that my center diff made noises and the lights came on again i braught it back and they ordered me a new center diff pump / center diff

after that it was all perfect. aside from my passenger side wheel bearing going the next week. mitsu has to hate me, they are broke from all the work i get done from my warrantee
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

at the very least the transmission needs removed. if the seal is leaking the active diff fluid into the wrong place then it is not getting enought pressure to activate the clutch pack. that will cause the whining and the lights to come on. I hope you havent damaged the clutch pack yet. good luck

Search this Thread