Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hydrogen powered Evo???, MitsuBeastly

Old May 27, 2008, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hydrogen powered Evo???, MitsuBeastly

Ok, so i have been reading up on this Water As Gas stuff, you will probably have to get up to snuff with it before neone can answer my questions, but here it is...

Will Hydrogen injection help performance (this i believe it will)
does it cause lower egt's???
what about pre-ignition???
cylinder pressure raises on same amount of boost is what i would guess, so does this mean lower more efficient boost if used on a turbo gas engine???
has been used on turbo diesels, cant find where it's been used on tubo gasoline...
if this does work, why havent we taken advantage of it???

here is what i was thinking,

cooler intake temps??? correct???
more power per amount of fuel???
lower boost???
better gas mileage???

now the only downsides i can think of in all this would be spraying combustable fuel through a turbo, extensive cylinder pressures, and the temp at which nitrogen burns... and egt's

now most of this info is speculated, such as cylinder pressures, and what it does in a turbo car... any help or links would be appreciated...

my car is a daily driver and i wanna make more power more efficiently, safely, and be a pioneer as far as the evo's go...

please keep the negative feedback to a min, this is an "idea" just thought i would let a few peepl in on it and see if we could work together in making this work...

and FYI, i am NOT a newb to automotive, just this forum, i have been a DSM guy and still am... so bashing would not be appreciated...

Finally, i believe i posted this in the right section, but if not could a MOD please help me out..

here is a link to get you guys started if your interrested...

http://www.lastreetkings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=803
Old May 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are talking about putting this in your car: http://www.water4gas.com/2books.htm, sounds like a waste of time. Besides the fact that it takes more energy to separate the hydrogen from water than you get burning it - the amount of hydrogen that thing could possibly make would be a drop in the bucket to the fuel the engine needs.

Besides that guys website reminds me way too much of timecube. This is in the same boat as the turbonator and magnets on your fuel lines.
Old May 27, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Not true. I actually have been thinking about this also after i seen a show based on ford's work with hydrogen.

They actually converted a normal 2.3 Focus Motor into Hydrogen still using the same motor just different means of injection and storage obviously. They said the technology is here its just marketing and getting the prices right to do it all.

I know i would be down to convert. There is a metal that was created that holds hydrogen in it without it being able to spill out. You can use the metal as the bumper or what ever doesnt matter.

Then after the combustion sequence only fresh air and water are expelled so you then can run the exhaust from the turbo right back into the intake if you can follow me.

Anyway thats my future rant. take it as you will. lol.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
mass and energy balance for hydrogen production does not make sense. at least not yet

it still takes way to much energy to produce the hydrogen needed to fuel cars.
Old May 27, 2008, 08:11 PM

but i wasnt talking about using it strictly as the only means of fuel, just maybe like meth injection, i KNOW, why dont i just go buy a meth injection kit, but i dont want to, this is actually a Burnable resource, and if it takes SOOO much energy to seperate this, why do you get BETTER fuel economy??? therefore it is effective... now i know it may take more than a lil econo car system to do it, but i dont need the why not to do it, just facts about why it will or wont work... also, i saw a car that ran turbo only ten less hp than stock completely converted, so why not??? i mean, more power, why wont it work...???
Old May 27, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

yes you get better fuel economy with hydrogen, but where does that hydrogen come from?

answer: electrolysis- pass an electric current though water and you get H2 and O2

guess where the electricity comes from, yup COAL (majority anyway)

it takes more energy in coal to make the electricity, to make the hydrogen, to get you better gas milage, than if you were just to use gasoline

BTW using H2 in combustion is dumb, if your gonna go that far then you might as well implement a hydrogen fuel cell and get better economy
Old May 27, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
BMW found the solution many years ago for electrolysis, its called solar panels/energy.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

while looking on a local evo forum, i saw this:

http://www.hydro4000.com/default.htm

who knows if this really works?? lol
Old May 28, 2008, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

remember this is what will appen to you if you caught in the middle of a drive by and you hydro tank gets hit
Old May 28, 2008, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

why not go LPG injection?? it runs at 104octane and is cheaper (well here) than gas. its supposed to work very well with the V8's.

you can get liquid LPG injectors now which are leaps and bounds better than the older version. if you are injecting LPG as a liquid then its going to cool your intake ALOT! im guessing the same as N2O would!

just an idea.

Chris.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101
why not go LPG injection?? it runs at 104octane and is cheaper (well here) than gas. its supposed to work very well with the V8's.

you can get liquid LPG injectors now which are leaps and bounds better than the older version. if you are injecting LPG as a liquid then its going to cool your intake ALOT! im guessing the same as N2O would!

just an idea.

Chris.
ok so what exactly is fueling lpg i read how it works but it doesnt really tell you what it is exactly maybe i am being dumb
Old May 28, 2008, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

LPG is propane im assuming and a lot of vehicles use that tech. There are actually food service trucks here that run using propane.

I also so another v8 that was built to use propane. It was 700 hp and some crazy torque numbers.

All of the technology is there we just got to do it. One other thing if we went lpg or if anyone tried that hydro 4000 what it would to for tuning etc ? Would we need EMS or would we be able to figure it out on the stock ecu ?
Old May 28, 2008, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

And like i said above there's a perfectly safe way of storing hydrogen in metal so that there is no way of it escaping in or exploding in a car crash or accident.
Old May 28, 2008, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
LPG is propane im assuming and a lot of vehicles use that tech. There are actually food service trucks here that run using propane.

I also so another v8 that was built to use propane. It was 700 hp and some crazy torque numbers.

All of the technology is there we just got to do it. One other thing if we went lpg or if anyone tried that hydro 4000 what it would to for tuning etc ? Would we need EMS or would we be able to figure it out on the stock ecu ?
thats a good point. i dont know if you could get away with using the stock ECU. The standalone would make things easier. you could run two maps, one for LPG and one for gas.

Chris.
Old May 28, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
BMW found the solution many years ago for electrolysis, its called solar panels/energy.
or wind energy, or fermentation with e.coli, or ...........................

the infrastructure is not there to make hydrogen on any sort of industrial scale without resorting to petroleum energy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydrogen powered Evo???, MitsuBeastly