Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Apexi intake w/ Induction Box what hard pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apexi intake w/ Induction Box what hard pipe?

I have the Apexi induction box and Apexi filter utilizing the STOCK intake tube. My question is what HARD PIPE fits this system without modfication. I know the HKS RS hard pipe does NOT fit, without modifications.

again i want to utilize the induction box as well. If anybody has a similar setup please let me know. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its really not needed, the stock tube works great for 2 reasons. 1 takes a lot longer to heat soak than a metal one. 2 it has the wrinkels in it for a reason, that reason is to prevent the noise the turbo produces to effect your MAF. Allowing for smoother tunes and power delivery.

If your heart is still set look at ETS, or Buschurs intake pipe. They may work.

GL
Evan Smith
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VividRacing.com
Its really not needed, the stock tube works great for 2 reasons. 1 takes a lot longer to heat soak than a metal one. 2 it has the wrinkels in it for a reason, that reason is to prevent the noise the turbo produces to effect your MAF. Allowing for smoother tunes and power delivery.

GL
Evan Smith
Thanks for the reply Evan. Now thats what I thought also. That the stock tube would be sufficient enough. I got a tune and im @ 311hp and 327tq. I was expecting to be @ 340-350hp and tq.

Peepz are telling me its the intake setup thats restricting me that extra 30-40whp/tq

Saying that the wrinkles in the stock tube dont offer smooth air flow. so thats why id be losing some power. I would like to know FOR SURE before my next tune.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What dyno was this on? 30-40 whp from any intake is nothing short of a miracle! lol My car is making close to 380 whp on a mustang dyno with the stock maf tube with the Apexi Filter. Many are making 400whp on stock airbox with just a drop in.

You will see power from the tune the most. Also exhaust, o2, ported mani and lower IC pipe. A Intercooler will help with consistancy. Other than that you may see power from a maf pipe but maybe 3-5 whp only when your really pushing the stock turbo would this really be needed.

Evan Smith

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Jul 10, 2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: I cant spell! lol
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

What dyno was this on? 30-40 whp from any intake is nothing short of a miracle! lol My car is making close to 380 whp on a mustang dyno with the stock maf tube with the Apexi Filter. Many are making 400whp on stock airbox with just a drop in.

You will see power from the tune the most. Also exhaust, o2, ported mani and lower IC pipe. A Intercooler will help with consistancy. Other than that you may see power from a maf pipe but maybe 3-5 whp only when your really pushing the stock turbo would this really be needed.

Evan Smith
I see wat ur saying. My tuner was saying that its probably the intake. thats holdin me back some HP. I also heard people makin more power on the stock intake setup as well. Not sure wat to change.

I want reliable 400hp at the end of the day.

current setup

Trust Ti-R, Trust DP, Megan TP, HKS EVC VI, Walbro 255lph, Apexi Intake w Box, Sun Auto Hyperforce System

thats it on performance.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Some suggestions,
o2 housing (aka turbo outlet)
exhaust manifold (aftermarket or ported stock)
cams
intercooler piping
turbo change
porting turbo's hotside
porting head

All above will keep it reliable I think. Of course water injection will help in your goal a lot but it's up to you to judge its reliability.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

GL
Evan Smith
+1 on ETS or BR
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SIKEVO9
I see wat ur saying. My tuner was saying that its probably the intake. thats holdin me back some HP. I also heard people makin more power on the stock intake setup as well. Not sure wat to change.

I want reliable 400hp at the end of the day.

current setup

Trust Ti-R, Trust DP, Megan TP, HKS EVC VI, Walbro 255lph, Apexi Intake w Box, Sun Auto Hyperforce System

thats it on performance.
With that set up, your WHP looks about right to be honest.. Add some cames, fix the proplem with ur intake, FMIC.. you should be where you want.

goodluck to you.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to sell your induction box...let me know... I cant find them anywhere
Old Jul 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

IMO that induction box and filter is a waste of time... yes it sounds cool but as far as power gain i'm pretty sure it doesn't help much, if at all. someone please correct me.

you would probably be better off with the stock airbox and a drop-in (i prefer WORKS) or definitely better off with an open element cone intake.

at the end of the day it's not your intake holding you back from bigger numbers... even with a cone/drop-in you're probably not getting to 350.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SIKEVO9
Peepz are telling me its the intake setup thats restricting me that extra 30-40whp/tq

Saying that the wrinkles in the stock tube dont offer smooth air flow. so thats why id be losing some power. I would like to know FOR SURE before my next tune.
If you look on the inside of that tube I believe it is totally smooth. The "wrinkles" are only on the outside. . .
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
If you look on the inside of that tube I believe it is totally smooth. The "wrinkles" are only on the outside. . .
This is not true, the wrinkles are on both sides right after the maf.
The samco intake hose is smooth, has a larger taper bore and fits with the oem box. Also protects the maf from vibrations.

Last edited by Jorge T; Jul 17, 2008 at 05:26 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the information. I swear last time I had it off I noticed it was smooth. Guess I'll have to look closer next time I take it off. . .