Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

go external Wastegate or not??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question go external Wastegate or not??

ive had my meth kit for months sitting collecting dust...got my evo8 a month back i have aem gauges, hks intake, hks uicp and bov, downpipe test, testpipe, and 272 skunk2 cams With NONE of them INSTALLED...

but to go meth i know i would have to upgrade the actuator...how much more worth it is it to go with like a 44mm wastegate?? what manifolds should i be looking at and what else would i need to go external? what size injectors(fuel rail?) should i get with the wastegate to utilize the stock turbo (i do EVENTUALLY plan on going bigger in the future) Anything else i might need to just really have a kick Ars stock set up

Thanx in advance
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

There is people that have done a Tial 38mm on a stock turbo... but WHY?? IMO, it is way too much work and not worth it... Honestly, with your level of mods just upgrade the turbo to a FP Green or a FP Red and get the FP upgraded actuator, which is plenty.. if you really need bling .. then go with a Forge upgraded polished actuator..
Old Jul 16, 2008, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Ya just upgrade your turbo, i have 750's and a 255 and they work fine but your gonna need a tune. O and im still on my stock turbo
Old Jul 16, 2008, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You don't need to go to an external gate just for running Alky with the stock turbo. You may not even need to upgrade the stock Mitsu actuator. Even if it were necessary to do so, I don't think that there is an easy, readily available way to plumb an external gate onto either the factory turbine housing, or the factory exhaust manifold. Furthermore, none of the aftermarket header designs being currently produced incorporates a flange for an external gate. So, you'd probably need to do a one-off, jerry-built adaptation. In any case, it would require extensive welding and fabrication skills.

There is a LancerRegister member in Europe who is reportedly running an external gate with a 16G turbo, but I haven't seen the details on his setup. Offhand, I don't recall anyone in the States running an externally gated 16G. Actually, none of the big boost(over 32#), higher horsepower, Alky/16G players in the States are running externally gated 16G's. The bottom line is that there is no real need for an external gate on a 16G. There may be extreme cases involving stroked, larger displacement motors combined with the tighter A/R turbine housings, but, in general, I don't think that you are going to need it.

Last edited by sparky; Jul 16, 2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

No no need at all to change anything u can put the alky kit on stock turbo stock acutator i asked extreme psi about changing over to external gate they told me no real to unless your losing psi bad or having alot of boost creep theres no need and even if u were they still recomend not doing it. And if u just like the sound of external gates they make an 02 housing w. an external dump for thesound. extremepsi.com jm fabrications makes the 02 dump. but no no reason to upgrade ur turbo or ur gate for an alky kit. push that stock turbo!! lol 28psi!!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

thanks alot for all the input
so glad i dont have to fiddle around with things for now... how many psi can i jack up the stock turbo with before i get fuel cut on the stock injectors?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Wink

here a a thread with pictures of an external wastegate on s/s manifold on a fp green set up.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=350345
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NJ_EveOhVIII
thanks alot for all the input
so glad i dont have to fiddle around with things for now... how many psi can i jack up the stock turbo with before i get fuel cut on the stock injectors?
I would advise you to not try that, it is not safe and not a smart idea to begin with. I would leave boost etc alone. You should look into getting everything installed along with a tune.

You do not need an external gate. I have tuned plenty of evo 8 with stock turbos and actuators to 30psi with alcohol
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

30 psi on stock! how long will i be able to hold that till my turbines are bent out of shape?