Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Battery reading 13.8volts??

Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Battery reading 13.8volts??

If I can remember it correctly, the normal battery should read 14.7 volts? I'm getting 13.8 now a days. Is something wrong with the battery? I have about 40K on my Evo. I'm also having the ACD lights came on and off. When I start the car, it's fine but after I drive for a short while, all three lights came on. Some day I would drive for a short trip like from work to home in 7 miles or so doing 50mph and it's fine. Other days, it would came on. Any ideas as to what's going on??? Thanks ahead for the help!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probably just the battery. Some auto shops check it for free i believe. Another thing u can do is, while the car is running take off your neg cable off the terminal and see if it drops alot of volts or dies. If it does, its your alternator. But sounds like its just your battery.

dash lights, gizmos, accessories, will do funny things if a battery has a dead cell or unable to hold a full charge.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first of all the max battery reading is around 14 volts. under load it will drop to 13.7, while the alternator is working.

wouldnt hurt to check your cables though.

so figure a range of 13.7 to 14. it should go up to 14 once in awhile, when the load is low

Last edited by nothere; Jul 17, 2008 at 05:58 AM.

Search this Thread