Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Possible overboost? not sure need help..

Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible overboost? not sure need help..

ok let me tell you guys the full story first, if you don’t want to read what lead up to it just skip to the next paragraph. i bought the car about a month ago from a dealer who bought it from an auction, the dealer is in new York and i am in Alabama, so i had the car shipped and could not visually inspect the car before i bought it, which had me concerned a little bit but i got it anyway, when i got it i inspected the car everything looked great it had an intake, exhaust and some piping, when i first drove it it was bogging a little bit between 4-6k so i thought it was because of the intake and the car didn’t have a tune, so I sent of my ecu to dynoflash and told them I had an intake and exhaust and I needed a tune, I got it back and the car ran amazing, then I filled up the gas one day and then there was gas leaking from under my car, I went to look and couldn’t find anything so I bought a walbro fuel pump and changed the fuel pump and now I don’t have a leak, so then I went on vacation and I come back and the car is bogging again after 4k rpms and I look at my boost gauge and its going crazy its like going past 30psi when it was usually 26 psi when I got the car and I just thought it was loose so when I got back home and inspected and I didn’t find anything wrong with the gauge connections, so I left my car alone and just started researching on the forums to see what it possibly might be. So I read some threads and I see what other people are boosting at and they say 15-20 18-14 numbers like that so I start freaking out mine was boosting at 26 normally so I thought that I could of possibly ruined my engine or turbo because it was boosting so high.

So I came to the conclusion that it boost leak from over boost or something is loose somewhere so I inspected the car again, and I see a line coming the turbo and I just follow it from a little bit and guess what I found loose and just dangling around in the engine bay... a MBC and I beat myself up for not finding it earlier and I turn down the boost to 10 psi and go drive it for a little bit and the car is driving a lot better but still bogs a little and I raised it up to 14 and still bogs so I am building the boost leak tester and gonna try it tonight, I just wanted to get your opinions and see if I am going on the right track... and oh if you guys think I should get another tune because of the fuel pump upgrade and the new found mbc and if you guys think there may be some other aftermarket mod that may possibly be in my car that I don’t know about... any thoughts appriceiated good or bad.

Last edited by Smike; Sep 18, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Take it to a tuner and have them check it out. Save your self some time and heartache.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost leak is a good place to start, you will probably find something.

Here is how to make one for about $5:

http://www.evogarage.net/?p=225

Also check your IC pipes, make sure they are in nice and snug and preferably tightened down with some t-bolts.

If your still having problems, have someone reputable take a look over the car.

Good luck w everything and let us know how it goes.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:03 PM

just wanted to update whats going on, did a boostleak test and there was 2 gigantic holes in the intercooler, i did a cold weld on it and now it is no longer leaking, there are also 2 tiny pin size leaks in the back of the radiator that i have not yet been able to fix, and i do not know how they got there, the ones in front look like someone stabbed it with a knife but i could not see anywhere how it could of happen i didnt see any damage in the mesh or anything similar, the next thing i did was put my old fuel pump back in because that was when the last time the car was actually working good, and it worked, it no longer bogs or anything sooo there that is... oh btw the CEL was on and i pulled codes i pulled 4 codes, p0113, p0108, p0300 and i forgot the other one it was intake sensor, MAF sensor and barometric sensor and random misfire in the cylinders, i took it out for a test drive earlier and its running at 90% it doesnt feel as good as it did (maybe thats because i turned the boost down from (26 to 19) but it seems to be smooth, i didnt go all the WOT cuz i was afraid it will bog again but i will try again later... let me know if you guys think i should do anything else