Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aftermarket Wastegae on 9 turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Wastegae on 9 turbo

Hey guys,

So I have an evo 8 and am putting on a 9 tubro here shortly. It's sitting in my garage and I want to be able to do as much to it as I can before installing it. I was considering upgrading the wastegate to either the Forge aftermarket one, or the FP 18 spring one. Both look good, but I know the FP 18 spring will allow for higher boost (going e85 as well), but will also hold boost unlike the stocker...

The problem I'm hearing from A LOT of people and tuners is that the upgraded WGAs will cause lazy spool, some as bad as the upper 5000 RPM range- which is ridiculous for a stock turbo. BUT it holds the boost all the way to redline or past.

The stockers will give you the boost by 3200 or so but leak and will leak as you approach the upper RPM's.

Is there a happy medium?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

I was actually thinking of posting the exact same ??? But I have not heard of the lazy spool

I too am going e-85 with the 9 turbo so in for an answer to this post!!
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

I can hold 25psi rock solid to redline with my BBK Lite on the stock actuator. It'll spike briefly to 26ish as boost comes on.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

I've talked with 2 tuners that have confirmed the lazy spool on the Forge unit. But haven't heard anyone say anything about the FP WGA's that have an 18 psi spring and a 25 psi spring. I'm tempted to try one, but was wondering if anyone else has tried them?

I don't want a 2-3K lag in spool... But at the same time I want the boost to hold. I've only heard of a few that say it is TERRIBLE and tapers off fast, others just complain of slight/moderate tapering.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

i just put in a ix on my evo 8 i used the fp actuator from a red i had and i dont see a lazy spool
Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

i have the fp18psi on a green, and i was hitting full boost at almost stock rpms. worked great for me
Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet!!!! I wonder why the Forge unit is causing the lazy spool? But I'm glad to hear about the FP Actuator!!! Is this the one: http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Lancer-TurboHW
Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Yes i believe so. Anything for you scott
Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Nick! lol - but you don't count because you have all sorts of other things done and not a stocker.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Well.. the green isnt too far from stock.. and that was on a 2.0.. so i think i still make a valid point! lol
Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smp3000
... I'm hearing from A LOT of... tuners is that the upgraded WGAs will cause lazy spool...which is ridiculous....
As far as the Forge and FP units that I have personally tried, this so called slowspool rap is just not true. You should disregard the opinion being giving to you by those particular people and tuners.

There also is the FP 25 PSI WGA aside from the Forge IX actuator and the FP 18 PSI unit.

Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smp3000
Hey guys,

So I have an evo 8 and am putting on a 9 tubro here shortly. It's sitting in my garage and I want to be able to do as much to it as I can before installing it. I was considering upgrading the wastegate to either the Forge aftermarket one, or the FP 18 spring one. Both look good, but I know the FP 18 spring will allow for higher boost (going e85 as well), but will also hold boost unlike the stocker...
What is your projected peak boost level gonna be? Will you peaking 27ish?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

On the 9 turbo I'll be installing- I'll be going with e85, ported exhaust mani, ported hotside, Invidia O2 housing, APS Twin BOV, and I have the Throttle body seals and gaskets. So after the install of all that along with zip tying ALL my vacuum lines I shouldn't be leaking anywhere BUT the wastegate.

I'm actually thinking it will be more along the lines of 29psi. Would love to be able to hold that.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Personally I have never tried the new FP 25 PSI unit, so I have no opinion. The NorCalEvo owners and tuners mostly all swear by the Forge IX WGA. They don't much like the FP 18 PSI WGA either. Many FP Red owners order their turbos fitted with the FP 25 PSI unit...so it must be good. I haven't read of any complaints concerning it.

The FP 18 PSI unit gets an undeservedly bad rap IMO. It supposedly has a characteristic spike in the 18 to 21 PSI range. From my experience though it is good if you want to run above 22 PSI peak.

It really depends on what boost levels you'll berunning and if you want to preload the spring heavily for optimal spoolup. Even the stock unit is not to shabby and can be made to work pretty well if properly setup.

I'd try the stock one first and if you can't get it to react the way you hope then upgrade. If you have a stock thickness radiator it isn't that hard to swap to a different WGA with a IX turbo.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

If you're gonna be peaking 29 PSI then just get the FP 25 PSI unit and preload the spring up to 27 PSI.