Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2003, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil vs. Mobil 1

After researching the info on the Net it's obvious that Amsoil is a much superior synthetic oil than Mobil 1, probably the best synthetic oil made. Mobil 1 is not as good as we all think. My next oil change will be with Amsoil. Anyone using Amsoil? How do you like it?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

I've heard of folks swearing by Amsoil in their tranny's or rear ends, didn't know they even had motor oil...heh.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

I've been using Amsoil in all my cars for about 7 years. It's pricey, but probably the least expensive insurance I've ever bought. and it verifiably on the dyno and the rearend frees up the most horsepower.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 05:27 PM
In Timeout

I'll eventually switch to AMSOil 2000, but Ill wait till winters over and I've killed my two cases of Mobile 1. To say that Mobile 1 is somehow inferior or bad oil is really ridiculous though. Your not going to notice a difference in my opinion...but in the tests AMSOil looks to be far superior to anything else. AMSOil is hard to find and expensive, thats the two downsides...
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'll stick with what Mits recommends and what the real racecars use...Mobile 1 Syn.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by StriktlyBidness
I'll stick with what Mits recommends and what the real racecars use...Mobile 1 Syn.
Mobile 1 is paying Mitsu a pretty penny to market there product on our oil caps along with advertising on race cars, but Mitsu doesn't mention Mobile 1 at all in our manuals as a matter of they only recommend synthetic oils that meet or exceeds ILSAC GF-3 or API SL/CF cert.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 5StarSuzuki
I'll eventually switch to AMSOil 2000, but Ill wait till winters over and I've killed my two cases of Mobile 1. To say that Mobile 1 is somehow inferior or bad oil is really ridiculous though. Your not going to notice a difference in my opinion...but in the tests AMSOil looks to be far superior to anything else. AMSOil is hard to find and expensive, thats the two downsides...
I'm not saying Mobile 1 is a bad oil, but it's definetly inferior to AMSoil. I can also find it for $4.25 a qt. Amsoil outperforms Mobile 1 in every aspect. You'll notice the difference when you tear you motor apart and examine the parts.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jess

Mobile 1 is paying Mitsu a pretty penny to market there product on our oil caps along with advertising on race cars, but Mitsu doesn't mention Mobile 1 at all in our manuals as a matter of they only recommend synthetic oils that meet or exceeds ILSAC GF-3 or API SL/CF cert.
Did you watch the video they show you when you buy the car? Did you see what oil he was holding? Also, this may not be every dealer but my dealer uses the mobile 1 to change the oil.

Also I have been to three of the major road course tracks on the east coast (Virginia International, Road Atlanta, and Ohio) and guess what all three of their tech garages use exclusively?

Viper Days (the viper club racing group) also exclusively uses Mobile 1.

Just throwing some stuff out there...
Old Sep 2, 2003, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not saying Mobile 1 is a bad oil, but it's definetly inferior to AMSoil. I can also find it for $4.25 a qt. Amsoil outperforms Mobile 1 in every aspect. You'll notice the difference when you tear you motor apart and examine the parts.
Been using Mobil 1 in all my Mitsubishi's since new. My 1992 Diamante with 181,000 miles, my 1992 Galant VR-4 with 180,000 miles and also the Evo.

When the Mitsubishi technician replaced the timing belt the last time he said it looked brand new inside.

I also used Mobil 1 in my new 1977 Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am. At the time though I don't think Detroit iron liked synthetic because it burned some of it all the time.

Let me not forget my 2002 LS1 which also comes with a factory fill of Mobil 1 too. When I stop at Costco I pickup 4 cases of 6 quarts each at a time.

Flybyevo...
Old Sep 2, 2003, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Synthetics are great oils.

Amsoil is tested and proven to be better then Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 is a Great Synthetic Oil used and promoted worldwide.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Merry Christmas.

Get Your Evo to a Track ASAP and use which ever oil you prefer, the way it was intended, at High RPM, under full boost, until your out of fuel.

Pit, Refuel, New Tires, Go GO GO!
Old Sep 2, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by flybyevo

Let me not forget my 2002 LS1 which also comes with a factory fill of Mobil 1 too. When I stop at Costco I pickup 4 cases of 6 quarts each at a time.

Flybyevo...
You must be talking about a vette right? Cause my 02 SS did not come with Mobile 1 from the factory.

Not trying to knock you cause I agree with you! Just curious though...
Old Sep 2, 2003, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by StriktlyBidness

You must be talking about a vette right? Cause my 02 SS did not come with Mobile 1 from the factory.

Not trying to knock you cause I agree with you! Just curious though...

SB,

Yes...an '02 vert six speed. I thought all the LS1's would come with that factory fill. Oh those bean counters.

Flybyevo...
Old Sep 2, 2003, 09:31 PM

OK, It seems evryone here is really missing the boat. All synthetics are grate for new engines. Old engines tend to burn it more than new ones. That may just be a fallacy though. Has nobody heard of Royal Purple Oil here? Are you guys serious? Amsoil?Mobil1? I've used it in some serious race bikes and my EVO seems to love it. HP gains? OK, maybe .127 of a horsepower gain in synthetics. The bottom line is that synthetic oil just lasts longer than petroleum based oils. If you really want HP gains, get an AFC! Just my 2 cents
Old Sep 2, 2003, 09:57 PM

The problem with Amsoil is that it is NOT API certified. Sure, they say they excced the specs, and I am sure they do, but they do not pay to have the API certification done on their oils.

If mistu, or any manufacturer for that matter, wants to void your warrenty for an oil related failure, they can if you are using Amsoil or any other non-API certified oil. Perfectly legal.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

I've been running Amsoil in my M3... now I plan on running it in
my new EVO...

Wrote to Amsoil.. they recommend that I run 10w30 oil..

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atm.html

and according to that product info page... it's API certified...

Quick Reply: Amsoil vs. Mobil 1