Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
Yes, and for the record, it was NOT like this for the test

Thanks a lot, it's actually not funny. I've had boat-loads of bad luck lately and this is just a real flick in the nuts on top of other stuff.
OH come on,see the funny side.
dude i know its not nice
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the amsoil filter fit with stock tube, vibrant maf and acd reservoir? It seems pretty long compared to my current vibrant filter.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SPANKED
Will the amsoil filter fit with stock tube, vibrant maf and acd reservoir? It seems pretty long compared to my current vibrant filter.
The Amsoil is an inch longer than the Vibrant filter. Do you have 1" of space between your Vibrant filter and ACD reservoir?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received my Perrin filter from MAP. I have good things to report:

The filter did come over drenched with oil. No problem, hot water, paper towel and an overnight sit on my floor vent with the heat on fixed that.

I was previously running the ETS intake with KN filter and having a HELL of a time tuning/maf scaling/injector scaling, etc. Basically, I was beginning to hate my evo every day with the constant stalling, richness, fuel mileage etc.

Installing the stock maf pipe with the KN helped tremendously but was still stalling at times. I attributed this to the KN not flowing very well on top of its closed/sealed top design choking the airflow/MAF.

Installation of the Perrin on the stock tube cleared EVERY pain in the *** problem I was having. For the first time in a long time, I was finally able to get my injectors scaled in perfectly and just got done tuning 20lbs for now as I had to un-do all the previous changesto fix/cover-up, etc the old intake set up.

I have happy as as pig rolling in mud that I can finally enjoy the Evo again.

Thank you MAP, Perrin, Scheides, s2kracka and the guys at the dyno for coming through for the Evo community!

-E
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E

The filter did come over drenched with oil. No problem, hot water, paper towel and an overnight sit on my floor vent with the heat on fixed that.

I was previously running the ETS intake with KN filter and having a HELL of a time tuning/maf scaling/injector scaling, etc. Basically, I was beginning to hate my evo every day with the constant stalling, richness, fuel mileage etc.

Installing the stock maf pipe with the KN helped tremendously but was still stalling at times. I attributed this to the KN not flowing very well on top of its closed/sealed top design choking the airflow/MAF.

Installation of the Perrin on the stock tube cleared EVERY pain in the *** problem I was having. For the first time in a long time, I was finally able to get my injectors scaled in perfectly and just got done tuning 20lbs for now as I had to un-do all the previous changesto fix/cover-up, etc the old intake set up.

Thank you MAP, Perrin, Scheides, s2kracka and the guys at the dyno for coming through for the Evo community!

-E
Congrats man!!! Im happy to hear that switching over has helped you out. Currently Im on the search for a buschur hard pipe to replace my ets one. Im still running the ets hard pipe plus k&n filter and my rpms like to drop suddnely at times and i get horrible gas milage. I hope when I make the switch over, the problems will be gone
Old Jan 10, 2009, 09:10 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Wicked E, congrats man! From everyone involved, you're welcome That's what this test is about!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you guys appreciate it
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

here are some pics of the amsoil air filter installed with the vibrant maf adapter and stock maf pipe. no bolts come with the vibrant maf adapter, so youll have to go and get some from your local parts store. my camera sucks so you cant really tell the actual color of the filter, but it is really close to the blue of the greddy silicone couplers on my uicp.

Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Looks Great !!!

Glad it went into place for you..

Doc
Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-E
I just got mine installed over the weekend coming from the stock airbox. I havent done the logging to check out the maf scaling but other then leaning the crap out of my tune there is absolutely no driveability issues. This is going from a blitz drop in filter to the perrin intake with the perrin/samco intake pipe.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I just got mine installed over the weekend coming from the stock airbox. I havent done the logging to check out the maf scaling but other then leaning the crap out of my tune there is absolutely no driveability issues. This is going from a blitz drop in filter to the perrin intake with the perrin/samco intake pipe.
Leaned out my tune too. This means the part is actually working/making power.

-E
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Leaned out my tune too. This means the part is actually working/making power.

-E
oh i know
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:26 AM

Just an FYI on filtering capabilities...

S2Kracka cleaned his MAF the other day and found that it was like sludge coming out of there. That was from his Vibrant filter. We pulled my Apex'i filter and looked at my MAF this weekend and found it was almost perfectly clean.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 05:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

wicked, did you re-oil your perrin filter, i didn't just wondering if most people are.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 07:49 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I picked up my perrin filter last night from MAP and was surprised to see that it was not too oily at all! I wrapped it in paper towels and dabbed and dabbed and dabbed, they stayed clean! There was a small oil film in the bag, but that was about it. I'll post pics of the new bishin setup all installed here soon.

I also took the opportunity to spray down my new MAF with about half-a-can of maf cleaner and then use a bit of super glue at the 4 corners of the honeycomb to help keep it in place. I have plans to upgrade the turbo, and don't want it bending/popping out!

Last edited by scheides; Jan 13, 2009 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!