Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam Damage! - PICS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First batch sold 5 years ago had issues. They were recalled that same year. If you bought a used evo with aftermarket gsc cams and you are not sure if they were properly recalled then I would worry. If I had to guess there would probably be about a handfull still in use out there that slipped through the cracks.

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Mar 2, 2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Got down to the truth
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:34 PM
ktk
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
So what does everyone think one should do if he has a set of 272's installed on the car 3-4 years ago?

To what extent does the vender have responsibility?
Dude! You need to pop the valve cover off and inspect the cams immediately if you think u have a similar set of old GSC. If cams give out you can loose your whole engine! Its teh absolute worst kind of failure, u can drop valves that hit pistons and break sending metal into the turbo. In split second your head/valves/crank/pistons/rods/turbo can be toasted beyond salvage. A quick inspection will only take an hour or 2 and it can save your *** if you find the beginnings of damage early.

It seems to be mostly on the intake side, although the exhaust side made with the same process scares me as well now. I'm going to go back and check the exhaust side carefully as well. Several intake lobes were beat up bad....

forget vendor responsibility, regardless of who foots the bill, it is a huge pain in the *** to deal with a busted engine!!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
these cams are pure ****.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Actually, it looks as though the follower remained compressed for an instant as the nose of the lobe rolled past it, and then slammed down on the closing ramp, revolution after revolution. It looks as though it isn't isolated to just one cam lobe either. If the metallurgy were at fault, I would expect to see an abnormal wear pattern all the way around the lobe.
The cam could very well at fault. The highest point in pressure on the lobe is where it fell apart. The rest of the lobe has very minimal pressure compared to the highest point on the lobe and most likely wouldnt show the same problems. I have heard from some sources as well as seeing some first hand that a few of the cams out there wear like crazy because of metallurgy problems.

Second note...The people at GSC are awesome, I'm sure they will serve the issue right. Good luck.

Last edited by ForcedFedRS; Feb 19, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4GSix3T
The highest point in pressure on the lobe is where it fell apart.
In addition, that particular 272I cam duration has been stated in having much more than advertized. The intake valve closes a good bit later than stock, like 30 - 40° CA into the compression stroke. As IV closes compression can still be achieved just prior to IVC when forces are still felt on valvetrain and when piston gains inertia. Perhaps compression can become much greater than charge psi on other side of valve for a fraction of time just before closing. This is exactly the point where the surface sheared. Just wondering.

I have ran those exact same GSC cams since April 2005, 272 In/264 Ex for about 50,000 miles. They have been thuroghly inspected at least 5 times and have showed no signs of fractures or abnormalities. I do have to say I'm a bit more worried now despite the very low probability factor because I'm not sure exactly how many of this type of cams are still being used out there to give me a peice of mind.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mpevo8
How long have you been running your S2's ?
I got them back in August.

Everyone needs to realize that the OP hasn't identified his cams as S2. He called them GSC 272's which where the V1 and V2. The V1's had the hardening problem IIRC from what Greg told me.

So for everyone jumping on the fear bandwagon, why not talk to Greg personally or let him explain what is goin on. Jumping to conclusions only makes things worse than what they may be.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:30 PM
ktk
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I got them back in August.

Everyone needs to realize that the OP hasn't identified his cams as S2. He called them GSC 272's which where the V1 and V2. The V1's had the hardening problem IIRC from what Greg told me.

So for everyone jumping on the fear bandwagon, why not talk to Greg personally or let him explain what is goin on. Jumping to conclusions only makes things worse than what they may be.

I'm sorry if there has been confusion, my cams are NOT the new GSC S2. I have the old original GSC 272 i belive them to be one of the original sets of cams GSC released for the 4G63 way back in the day (2005).

My issues may be related to inproper hardening of the lobe surface which seems to have been a problem noticed with the original 272s, but this doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the newer GSC s2's. Supposedly the error has since been corrected and a new manufacturer is producing the S2 so the hardening issue should (theoretically) not be an issue for you guys running S2's.

As for the catastrophic breakage failure of the his Oct 2008 S2 cam that another memeber posted in this thread, that is an unrelated issue. And from what it seems may have been caused by stress along the inside of a sharp unfilleted groove that may have been a completely different design fault of those S2's. I don't know enough to say whether that is the case or not so I won't jump to conclusions there.

Suffice to say my cams are not S2's and the lobe damage does not seem to be an issue with the S2's.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 04:54 PM

thats what mine just did i found it out today.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Lobes are fine on my S2 cams. Only the end broke off the cam. see pics above.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this serves as a warning! Run GSC cams at your own risk. After hearing what happened to tims car I wouldn't take a chance of a cam breaking and ruining the whole motor. Plus their lack of responsibility is shamefull.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PlanoEvo
I think this serves as a warning! Run GSC cams at your own risk. After hearing what happened to tims car I wouldn't take a chance of a cam breaking and ruining the whole motor. Plus their lack of responsibility is shamefull.

Dude seriously WTF are you talking about "lack of responsibility"? I called GSC the day I found my old 272 intake cracked and I had replacement cams two days later at no cost to myself. (I paid for the upgraded S2 exhaust cam)

They also owned up to the fact that they had issues with their first run of cams and have since corrected it.

The MIVEC cam that sheared is a freak and I haven't seen anyone else have this problem. You can have that issue with ANY part. Cranks fail, trannies fail and sometimes cams fail. That doesn't mean you have to trash talk a company for an admitted flaw that was corrected. And FYI, GSC's cams are made by another company that makes another very popular brand of cams that people use on their Evos.

So really, what was the point of your post?

Last edited by Cirrusly Evolvd; Feb 18, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
Dude seriously WTF are you talking about "lack of responsibility"? I called GSC the day I found my old 272 intake cracked and I had replacement cams two days later at no cost to myself. (I paid for the upgraded S2 exhaust cam)

They also owned up to the fact that they had issues with their first run of cams and have since corrected it.

The MIVEC cam that sheared is a freak and I haven't seen anyone else have this problem. You can have that issue with ANY part. Cranks fail, trannies fail and sometimes cams fail. That doesn't mean you have to trash talk a company for an admitted flaw that was corrected.

So really, what was the point of your post?
Actually if you read, he is reffering to my failure and the fact that GSC has not yet taken any positive action. There has been no attempt to investigate what happened to the cam by GSC, only reasons given via email as to why it is not "defective".

Also the failure I experienced in the S2 intake cam is not a freak occurance. As stated before I will be releasing all of the information on these failures once I have it compiled. I assure you there has been multiple S2 intake cam failures in the outter mivec groove as shown in the pictures above.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, well guess I am lucky to have Evo 8 S2's...

But as I said, GSC does not make the cams. However if they are giving you the run-around then that is a different story.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

well... i checked and i'm good so far so i guess i'll just listen for the tick to get worse.. and pull my vc every oil change....
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Would be interesting to know if this problem is related to folks who experienced the lifter tick after install. Then years later the tick has changed into the sound of lobe damage.

The lobe will cycle about 130,000,000 times in 3 years of daily commute! If it's malfunctioning then the smallest imperfection would give way.

Might be related to the duration at IVC

Quick Reply: Cam Damage! - PICS