Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blew seals on newish FP Red?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew seals on newish FP Red?

Replaced my stock 8 turbo with blown seals a few weeks ago with an FP Red. Install went well for the most part. Only one problem. From time to time the car would smoke pretty heavily. The smoke is white and smells like oil. At first I thought it was residual oil from the old turbo with blown seals but it's been long enough that any residual oil should have been burned off already. The car did smoke right after the install but stopped after a day. The smoke is also intermittent. It would happen one day for a little bit then it would be fine for a few days after.

Any ideas? The turbo is a rebuild from a 9 turbo that had 12k miles and was run only at about 23 psi. Please don't tell me I blew a headgasket. I did the basic tests to check for a blown headgasket. Checked the compression, looked for oil in the coolant reservoir and radiator, looked for coolant by draining some oil out of the pan. Tests came out normal. Could it be that I am in the beginning to lose the seals completely? Bad quality control by FP? I was told before I bought the turbo that FP had some issues since when the Green and White came out. Block is completely stock so oil contaminated by particles from an engine build is unlikely.

Edit: I also made sure I primed the turbo properly. I disconnected the crank sensor to make sure the car didn't start up while I cranked the car.

Last edited by Evolessfornow; Mar 17, 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To test for oil getting past the seals try this: Floor it in 3rd up to about 7000 and suddenly let off the throttle all at once. Watch in the rearview for a cloud of smoke, as soon as you let off the accelerator.

Also, it may be that since you previously had a blown turbo that there is an accumulation of oil that blew past the seals residing in the intercooler pipes down at the level where the UICP, and LICP connect to the intercooler. You may want to remove the IC all torgether and spray a few cans of parts cleaner through it too.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'll try that the next time I drive my car. As for the intercooler, I cleaned it out with brake cleaner. I cleaned out the licp too. Didn't clean the uicp but there didn't seem to be much oil in it.

Anyone have any other ideas? Trying to see if I have enough grounds to see if FP will warranty the turbo.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Did you make sure there wasnt anything in the oil line? Engine debris from prior failures will catch in the oil feed line (or can anyway) and rob oil pressure to the turbo and cause failure. I am betting that whatever caused the initial failure is responsible for this failure as well.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

make sure ur gaskets from ur oil return line are good.. and also make sure its securely screwed in... if its leaking from the bottom of ur turbo its almost inevitable that its hitting ur DP and causing the white smoke.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Did you make sure there wasnt anything in the oil line? Engine debris from prior failures will catch in the oil feed line (or can anyway) and rob oil pressure to the turbo and cause failure. I am betting that whatever caused the initial failure is responsible for this failure as well.

Have that covered as well. I used a new oil feed line and sprayed the oil banjo bolts with brake clean before reinstalling.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Red_Evolution
make sure ur gaskets from ur oil return line are good.. and also make sure its securely screwed in... if its leaking from the bottom of ur turbo its almost inevitable that its hitting ur DP and causing the white smoke.
Both oil return line gaskets are new. Didn't see any leaks when I checked my work after the turbo install.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, not much sense in checking the UICP, as usually the oil would tend to pool in the LICP.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, had different visual after reading thread title. LOL

Last edited by smokedmustang; Mar 18, 2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Rofl.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Smokester: Is that you frolicking at the Tiki pool party, old buddy? God bless you, take care!

Last edited by sparky; Mar 17, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Check PCV valve function. Inspect axial shaft play on your new turbo. Worst case scenario: Head gasket, rings, or valve guides & seals.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

No shaft play on the Red. At least not before I first put it on. My PCV valve it capped off. I have a catch can with the breather and PCV side hoses teed together going to the can and the other end connected to the intake. Thanks for your input.

Edit: Thanks for reminding me. I need to check my can. My can could be full and crap is getting sucked into my intake and getting burned up. I doubt it because I have not been getting much in the can since I put it on. Doesn't hurt to check though.

Last edited by Evolessfornow; Mar 17, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

You might want to recheck shaft play now that you are experiencing the smoking issue. That way you'd eliminate "blown seals"(quick thinking, Smokeman, LOL) once and for all.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

I thought that shaft play meant bad bearings not bad seals. So bad seals would lead to shaft play too?

Quick Reply: Blew seals on newish FP Red?