Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

WTF!?! Random misfire happening around 3k RPMs at 71-74 MPH in 5th gear only.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you're probably running too much timing at cruise(economy tuning) or you have shot spark plugs
Old Apr 17, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
didn't the 03's have a problem with the transmission causing P0300?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I have not been on to updated later, I just got back from a detachment. Anyhow, I changed out the coil packs and it has not misfired again. .... Yet. So hopefully it is good to go. I will post back up if something happens.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I guess the coil packs did not fix the problem. My car started misfiring again today. It is happening the same as before and this time I tried holding the RPMs steady at 3 to 3.5K in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. It misfired in all gears. I have no idea what is wrong. Does anyone else have any ideas?
Old May 4, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

bumpo!
Old May 5, 2009, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

Wow. Did the forum shut down and I didn't hear about it? (cricket sounds) Bump again.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you know that you are misfiring??

Unless I miss my guess your knock sensor is hearing the transmission and thinks that it is knock and retards the timing to save the engine. Releasing the throttle and getting back on it will temporarily fix this while driving, correct?

I believe there is a TSB for this, but the dealership will want to reflash your ECU first. The other option to fix this, would be a transmission rebuild. I'm not exactly sure what it is that needs replaced in the transmission. Hope this helps.
Old May 8, 2009, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

So if your guess is right, I should be able to unplug the knock sensor and be great then right? The TSB is listed here, and from what I can tell, it is to fix the P0300 code that randomly pops. http://www.lancerlogic.com/forum/eng...m-misfire.html I also tried the troubleshooting listed in this TSB (disengage/re-engage the clutch at highway speed to trigger the "code") This did not work. But, I will try driving with the knock sensor unplugged the next couple times that I go driving and see if the misfiring stops.

Last edited by dave3kgt; May 8, 2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dave3kgt
So if your guess is right, I should be able to unplug the knock sensor and be great then right? The TSB is listed here, and from what I can tell, it is to fix the P0300 code that randomly pops. http://www.lancerlogic.com/forum/eng...m-misfire.html I also tried the troubleshooting listed in this TSB (disengage/re-engage the clutch at highway speed to trigger the "code") This did not work. But, I will try driving with the knock sensor unplugged the next couple times that I go driving and see if the misfiring stops.
did this work for you? I just developed the same problem!
Old May 15, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have not tried unplugging the knock sensor, but I intend to. Does your car actually start misfiring or does it just pop the P0300 code?
Old May 15, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Have you tried upgrading your ROM from 0008 to 0015?

This was Mitsu's fix for the P0300 back in 04 when all the 03's were going back to the dealer for the code. Mitsu found out that the code is actually triggered by drivetrain harmonics.

A couple other cause were as other stated. Large jumps in timing from one cel to another. Too much timing in those cruising load cells. If it comes down to it just disable the test routine in the ROM and you'll never see the code again
Old May 16, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Well, thats the problem. I am not only experiencing the code, but also the associated misfire. The car literally loses power, and starts to sound like a sick Subaru. Still think it can be the ROM? If so, where could I download a 0015 ROM?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

How old is your fuel filter? Any holes in your exhaust before the 1st O2 sensor (cracked manifold, leaky exhaust gasket)?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Have you tried upgrading your ROM from 0008 to 0015?

This was Mitsu's fix for the P0300 back in 04 when all the 03's were going back to the dealer for the code. Mitsu found out that the code is actually triggered by drivetrain harmonics.

A couple other cause were as other stated. Large jumps in timing from one cel to another. Too much timing in those cruising load cells. If it comes down to it just disable the test routine in the ROM and you'll never see the code again
Mine does the same thing, What clutch do you have?

I have a real good theory on this but need to find out what clutch you are running first but driveline harmonics are the root cause as stated above

Where can we get 0015 for download?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dave3kgt
Well, thats the problem. I am not only experiencing the code, but also the associated misfire. The car literally loses power, and starts to sound like a sick Subaru. Still think it can be the ROM? If so, where could I download a 0015 ROM?
definately not the rom. I did not read through the entire thread but from what I have gathered the car drops a cylinder under load. I know you mentioned getting new coil packs but did you replace plugs and wires? Plugs are kind of obvious but if you ever pulled the plug wires off the plugs by the wire you can ruin them ( learned the hard way ) it is nearly impossible to spot where they are damaged but id be willing to bet plug wires is your issue

Quick Reply: WTF!?! Random misfire happening around 3k RPMs at 71-74 MPH in 5th gear only.