Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP: Resetting the ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Resetting the ECU?

my car has felt substantially slower since i installed my intake. I did damage the MAS a little bit, but bent it back straight, and im not sure if they had anything to do with the performance loss.

I am putting on my stock airbox again, and hoping that the problem will be solved.

I wanted to reset the ECU just in case though. Does anyone know how to do this?

If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 Choices

1 disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes or so

or

(from shiv)
remove glove box
remove ecu wire cover panel
unplug far left ecu connector
press brake pedal until it's hard
plug ecu back in

I know sounds like a pain but the second one is actually kind of easy. And it does make a difference if you reset it with an intake on it. (runs better)

After you reset it, let the car run at idle for like 10 minutes so it can stablilze the idle.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

After reseting the ECU, it will take a couple days to adjust back to your driving style.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info guys. Any how exactly does the ECU adjust to your driving style?
Old Oct 3, 2003, 02:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It reads the settings from the engine, and load, weather, driving style all have an effect on its operation in closed loop...

the ECU trick is the easiest.. the reason for hitting the brake pedal after disconnecting the connector is because it drains the residual voltage in the ECU forcing it to reset.. Otherwise you'd have to leave it disconnected for some time (as long as over night) before it resets.

And actually you can probably leave your new intake on.. Its probably not adjusted to the different "Karmann frequencies" that its getting since less restriction means higher frequencies which confuses the closed loop operation of the car until it adjusts.. basically the same thing, it has to learn again..