Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Not sure on which engine build to go for

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure on which engine build to go for

To start off, i had (from what i believe) my timing belt tensioner fail and freeze up forcing the timing to skip and crashed my valves into piston #1. So for this build im trying to decide what to go for. What im hoping for is a good daily driver that will put up high numbers on the dyno. I was thinking of a gt35 turbo, some have said that turbo is great on a 2.3 stroker setup and ive seen some say its too big and is better for a 2.4.

Im stuck between either stroking my good 63 block to a 2.3, or instead buy a built 2.4l. The stroker kit im thinking about is the ams 2.3 with a .020mm over. The 2.4 is an English Racing built with RNR rods, wiseco pistons., and oem crank. I feel since i have a good block, i might as well build it up.

My main concerns are from what ive seen throughout forums are that some have said the stroker motors arent that reliable and wont rev that high.

Also im currently running HKS 264/272 camshafts, from what ive read i would need to run the 280's preferably for the stroker setup, any input on that?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would have to say buschur racing for sure..

there 2.3rpm is sweet!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:38 PM

i saw their 2.3rpm engine, but thats for the whole engine, their stroker kit already starts out 300 or so higher than AMS not to mention if you want to do the rpm would have to get upgraded parts costing even more. Also, from what ive seen and heard, ams parts are more dependable than buschar by far. Ive seen quite a few threads on here about problems with BR stroker kits and rarely about the AMS line
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BOOSTIN24
i saw their 2.3rpm engine, but thats for the whole engine, their stroker kit already starts out 300 or so higher than AMS not to mention if you want to do the rpm would have to get upgraded parts costing even more. Also, from what ive seen and heard, ams parts are more dependable than buschar by far. Ive seen quite a few threads on here about problems with BR stroker kits and rarely about the AMS line
flame suit better be on
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:46 PM
fre
Evolved Member

My guess is that both companies have had customers with good and bad experiences, you better make sure to do your research before posting one is better than the other.

I'm sure building engines is a tricky business. There are so many variables that can explain why an engine could fail, parts, tune, improper build, etc...

Last edited by fre; Oct 16, 2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We run BR motors in everything. Have not had a problem yet. Hell, I probably have 50 passes on my BR motor this year including A hand full of 8 second passes. Actually, make that a little over a hand full. lol IDK if any other shop/engine builders can claim that?

Bottom line is, They work and can take a beating!

-Em
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
We run BR motors in everything. Have not had a problem yet. Hell, I probably have 50 passes on my BR motor this year including A hand full of 8 second passes. Actually, make that a little over a hand full. lol IDK if any other shop/engine builders can claim that?

Bottom line is, They work and can take a beating!

-Em
Evo market is probably the only market where shops buy engines from another shop doing the same exact thing the shop they are buying from do.ie:You dont see Moran Motorsports buying engines from Proline.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where the hell have you seen that at? Im in Virginia and I know two guys with Buschur Motors that have lasted over 2 years and they beat the crap out of them. To answer your original question you state that you want "big numbers" Well how much money do you have to spend? a Gt35R Isn't as laggy as you think. On a 2.0 in forth gear Im full boost around 4800 rpm. So I imagine on a 2.4/2.3 it would be pretty damn nice. But why are you stroking your motor? That just seems like a waist in my opinion for a car that you are going to daily drive. If your block is still good and doesn't need to be bore'd out throw in some drop in Pistons and Rods and some new bearings and put a GT3076 on it and call it a day. If your going to daily this car what type of petrol do you have in your area? 93? E85? With a build bottom end and a good set of cams I bet you can get close to 500whp on 93 or well into the 600hp range on E85 with that turbo. And it'll spool pretty damn quick too. First decide what your goal is then find the most cost effective way to reach the goal. If you have no experience with engine building then call up Buschur and tell them what your goals are and they will point you in the best direction.

Last edited by ZanarkO; Oct 16, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZanarkO
Where the hell have you seen that at? Im in Virginia and I know two guys with Buschur Motors that have lasted over 2 years and they beat the crap out of them. To answer your original question you state that you want "big numbers" Well how much money do you have to spend? a Gt35R Isn't as laggy as you think. On a 2.0 in forth gear Im full boost around 4800 rpm. So I imagine on a 2.4/2.3 it would be pretty damn nice. But why are you stroking your motor? That just seems like a waist in my opinion for a car that you are going to daily drive. If your block is still good and doesn't need to be bore'd out throw in some drop in Pistons and Rods and some new bearings and put a GT3076 on it and call it a day. If your going to daily this car what type of petrol do you have in your area? 93? E85? With a build bottom end and a good set of cams I bet you can get close to 500whp on 93 or well into the 600hp range on E85 with that turbo. And it'll spool pretty damn quick too. First decide what your goal is then find the most cost effective way to reach the goal. If you have no experience with engine building then call up Buschur and tell them what your goals are and they will point you in the best direction.
IMO, look into the stock frame turbos like the FP Black or the MAP EF4, as you can make just as much power with a much quicker spool. Do that on a 2.4LR, and you essentially have instant boost
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

2.4 fp black nasty combo right there
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:10 AM

One of the cylinders has some small groves, so need to do some machine work
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2.3 rpm. Reliability is not the builders issue, its how you take care of it. You'll see lots of br engines working great along with ams. But you need to do the maintenance, proper oil etc like anything else.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

One of the cylinders has some small groves, so need to do some machine work
In that case Ide do a 2.4 pull a 4g64 block from a junk yard for $100 and start building it. Its cheaper that way. Dont stroke the 2.0 your going to end up spending about 3 grand. You can build a 4g64 if your on a budget for about $1500. If you do the work yourself. And screw an FPBlack its laggier then what you think. If your doing a 2.4 buy a 6262 Kit or a HTA86 kit. Fpblacks you can only buy in ball bearing form now and there $2500 for just the turbo plus oil line kit, evo 9 jpipe, intake, licp and etc, your better off buying a used ETS kit. The Forced Performance GT based turbos last for ever and hold up so dont be scared about buyng them used.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

In that case Ide do a 2.4 pull a 4g64 block from a junk yard for $100 and start building it. Its cheaper that way. Dont stroke the 2.0 your going to end up spending about 3 grand. You can build a 4g64 if your on a budget for about $1500. If you do the work yourself. And screw an FPBlack its laggier then what you think. If your doing a 2.4 buy a 6262 Kit or a HTA86 kit. Fpblacks you can only buy in ball bearing form now and there $2500 for just the turbo plus oil line kit, evo 9 jpipe, intake, licp and etc, your better off buying a used ETS kit. The Forced Performance GT based turbos last for ever and hold up so dont be scared about buyng them used.
You do realize the only thing that is cheaper between the 4g63 2.3 and a 4g64 2.4 setups are the actual purchase of a block if a replacement is needed. Either way the op will need machine work done so that's a moot point. You will also need other extras with the 2.4 like adjustable cam gears and water pump adapter. Imo keep it simple and do a 2.3. You won't be getting a full 0.1 L of extra displacement with the 4g64 over a bored stroked 4g63 anyway.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
It's a no brainer to go 2.3 if your 4G63 block is good. I don't know that I'd do a 2.4 even if I windowed my 4G63 but that's just personal preference I guess.

Funny some of the most potent cars on this forum use BR engines and of those engines they have been in these cars for some time.

Quick Reply: Not sure on which engine build to go for