Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Copper Spray on Headgasket - Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive used the spray on many of my talons and never had a problem. i didnt use it on my build of my evo and unfoutunatly its one of the 1st headgaskits i blew that only leaks under boost.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Aluminum expands more than cast iron. So, the head is moving on the block every time the engine is run. I can imagine possible benefit from copper spray if running cast iron on cast iron or aluminum on aluminum but less so here.
this is a confusing statement. Let me -- unconfused others.

the point of spraying the individual sides of the MULTI layer metal gasket - is that that particular side adheres to the surface its mated to.

The multi layers - then allow the two to expand and shift at their own pace sliding on one another. While keeping those two surfaces - sealed to the head/block.

This is why you ONLY spray the two sides - NOTHING in the middle.

And this is why you do NOT spray a composite. This would cause the composite to not be able to shift/slide with the different expansion ratios - and it would inherently pull the hg apart.