Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strange noises in rain? and gas mileage after Walbro 255

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange noises in rain? and gas mileage after Walbro 255

Okay after searching the forums, I've come to the conclusion that its really hard to search for a problem if you don't know what the problem is. Anyhow, hopefully someone can pinpoint what's wrong with my car.

The other day, I was driving and upon shifting into 3rd, letting off the clutch, and depressing gas, my car would rev freely and I would hear clanking noises, like something metallic was slapping the underbody, coming from underneath the car. To me it felt like the car was not fully in gear so I downshifted into 2nd to have the same thing happen. I managed to control the problem in first gear, and further bypass the problem altogether by slipping the clutch more during shifts. This has only happened three times, coincidentally or not, when it was raining moderately. Most days the car seems fine. Any idea as to what this may be? Secondly, anyone encounter very poor gas mileage after installing a Walbro 255 fuel pump? Had mine installed by Buschur and ever since, I've been getting ~12 mpg staying out of boost...

Much thanks in advance.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry i cant help u out on ur first question check for exhaust rattle maybe? but my average mpg out of boost on my walbro is around 18 cruising and 16-15 boosting pending how much
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

It's not the exhaust because the noise is associated with the car feeling like it's not in gear?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Insanenoodle
Okay after searching the forums, I've come to the conclusion that its really hard to search for a problem if you don't know what the problem is. Anyhow, hopefully someone can pinpoint what's wrong with my car.

The other day, I was driving and upon shifting into 3rd, letting off the clutch, and depressing gas, my car would rev freely and I would hear clanking noises, like something metallic was slapping the underbody, coming from underneath the car. To me it felt like the car was not fully in gear so I downshifted into 2nd to have the same thing happen. I managed to control the problem in first gear, and further bypass the problem altogether by slipping the clutch more during shifts. This has only happened three times, coincidentally or not, when it was raining moderately. Most days the car seems fine. Any idea as to what this may be? Secondly, anyone encounter very poor gas mileage after installing a Walbro 255 fuel pump? Had mine installed by Buschur and ever since, I've been getting ~12 mpg staying out of boost...

Much thanks in advance.

i have the same problem. when it rain and when i went through the poddle. my car will make a strange clunking noise by the driver side door or fender area. after maybe 30 sec to a min it will go away. it only happen in the rain and going through poddles of water, never in the dry days. can never find out why.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

This is not good lol, because im about to install my Walbro and not im getting a big questionable about it. OLDSCHOLEVO---do you have the walbro as well?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

no pump on mine.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oldscholevo
i have the same problem. when it rain and when i went through the poddle. my car will make a strange clunking noise by the driver side door or fender area. after maybe 30 sec to a min it will go away. it only happen in the rain and going through poddles of water, never in the dry days. can never find out why.
+1. My car does the same thing... I think its related to the hot exaust being bombarded with cool water...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denolloyd
+1. My car does the same thing... I think its related to the hot exaust being bombarded with cool water...
i hope so, i am going to do an oil change today. will try to find out is there anything loose there.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ballallday89
This is not good lol, because im about to install my Walbro and not im getting a big questionable about it. OLDSCHOLEVO---do you have the walbro as well?

I doubt the fuel pump has anything to do with the noise I mentioned. The Walbro is only mentioned because I have terrible gas mileage.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oldscholevo
Does your car have the transmission/drivetrain problem I mentioned when it makes the noise?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Insanenoodle
Does your car have the transmission/drivetrain problem I mentioned when it makes the noise?
no, no trany problem. that's why I can't find the problem. it will only happen in the rain when I am going through the poddles.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

if u search, this is a known problem, sorry i cant provide links, but i remember reading about the clunking issue
Old Oct 24, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

I've searched for "strange noise", "clunking", "clunking noise", and "rain noise" to no avail. Alot of people have strange noises but most of theirs is suspension related. Mine seems to be drivetrain...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

I just had an idea though. Could the plates in my clutch be slipping? Like I said, I could circumvent the noise if I slip the clutch more during the shifts...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know about your clunking noise, but i can relate to the poor gas mileage after the installing the fuel pump. I don't know why, but i think letting the fuel pump prime helps a little bit.

Quick Reply: Strange noises in rain? and gas mileage after Walbro 255