Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need a new alternator I think

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a new alternator I think

So my brake and battery light have been coming on and the car sounds like its going to cut out sometimes when driving. I am sure it is the alternator because when I give it gas the gauge panel lights up brighter almost like the car is breathing. The ABS light has also popped up a couple times during this problem I hope it is related to the alternator. Where can I get a higher amp alternator for an 03 Evo?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That definitely sounds like an alternator problem, I would take it off and get it tested at an auto parts store just to make sure. I'm not sure where you can find a higher amperage one though.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Its easy to test your alternator while in the car. Start the car and remove the negative terminal of your battery. If it dies then your alternator is bad. I like to also turn on the lights and heater/A/C inside to put a load on the alternator.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CGroovy2k2
Its easy to test your alternator while in the car. Start the car and remove the negative terminal of your battery. If it dies then your alternator is bad. I like to also turn on the lights and heater/A/C inside to put a load on the alternator.
Wow dude, I'm having alternator woes too, i did exactly what you said yesterday while trying to find out if it's my alternator sucking the life out the battery & after a few minutes of the car idling w/ the neg. terminal off, a/c on blast & kept turning the headlights off & on, the car shut off...So that gave me the conclusion
WTF could of done that since my car has factory music, the only electrical mod done was an alarm almost a year ago but the battery dying started back in Feb. while the single digit temps were outside
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO196
Wow dude, I'm having alternator woes too, i did exactly what you said yesterday while trying to find out if it's my alternator sucking the life out the battery & after a few minutes of the car idling w/ the neg. terminal off, a/c on blast & kept turning the headlights off & on, the car shut off...So that gave me the conclusion
WTF could of done that since my car has factory music, the only electrical mod done was an alarm almost a year ago but the battery dying started back in Feb. while the single digit temps were outside
For what you're saying your battery could be bad. If your car ran with all that going on then your alternator is doing its job. Part of that job is charging the battery. Now if your battery is sucking the juice from the alternator (bad battery cells) then that could kill the car. A battery can try and charge "too much" and that will take power away from the accessories the car needs to run. If you decide to do it again, try leaving the headlights on with high beams, radio, fan, interior lights, and even hit the brake lights. Or another thing you can do to make sure its not your battery is disconnect the battery positive terminal while the car is running. Leave the negative on and disconnect the positive since thats hooked up to the alternator and is where the charge comes from. When you do that, if the car stays on with the lights and whatever else you have on then you know its your battery thats bad.

Hope that helps
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
ok, but one thing the car did when it was on, I turn the lights on & the ilde went up a lil & then down to 800rpm & the lights dimmed.....I did take both terminals pos/ & neg. off & car stood on but w/ out turning the a/c, lights etc....
So I'm going to try what u said abt. leaving the pos. on & turn everything on....

I thought it was the bs duralast battery from autozone which i bought since Sears was out of Diehards....a Battery is much cheaper than an Alternator....

Thanks