Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Loud clunking from front right of car

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud clunking from front right of car

my car when i turn the wheel all the way to the left and slowly back up makes a clunk clunk clunk noise from the front right wheel. it also does it when i have someone sit in the passenger seat and go around turns. i cant figure out what it is. i checked the ball joints they look good. checked the tie rod. dont think it would be an axle because it would do it all the time. this problem has been coming and going for about a year now. can anyone think of what this is??
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

my car did that cuz i messed up a tie rod off roading lol.. took it off and u could move it around very easily with hands.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Strut tops and/or struts are blown. I have the same issue.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
check the boot, check shock (if not leaking), lift the front right of the car and move the tire left right, and up and down see if theres any movement. if up/down ur rod is messed up, if left right, your lower control arm, hope this helps...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:27 AM

Sounds like a CV joint in that axle. When it gets bad enough it'll make that clunking sound without having to turn the wheel so far.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
In the Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension Forum there lives a huge post concerning running gear noises (probably where this post will be moved to). Don't get me wrong, you should check that things are right and no bad bearings or other important parts, but the Evo evidently is like no other car in that the maker apparently didn't care if the suspension made some noise. The front suspension of my car has rattled and banged since day one, I have looked for a cause and found none and after 60,000 miles nothing has fallen off.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

yeah ive had this problem for about 20,000 miles and i check it every once ina while and never find anything wrong..i dont get it. i have a feeling its the cv joint..but wouldnt the damn thing break in half by now after this many miles of doing it?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

also...if it where struts wouldnt they do it all the time?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All too familiar with that --- it's the strut. I had everyone and their dog check for suspension binds, debris, bad ball joints, etc. Finally went with an aftermarket set of coils, and guess what? No clunk.