Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Driveshaft clunking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft clunking

On the way home from work tonight my car started making a rhythmic clunking sound from underneath. It sped up as the car sped up, went away on deceleration and got loud when I stepped on the gas pedal. I immediately figured a bearing or something went out between the transfer case and rear end, hoping it wasn't either of those directly.

Here is what I found:

Here's a video of me moving the wheel back and forth and what it sounds like:
http://img513.imageshack.us/i/mvi06941.mp4/

I'm currently unsure exactly what this is, seems to be just a coupler between the shafts like an axle cup. Hopefully it's nothing catastrophic. I searched quite a bit but couldn't find any threads directly related to this or how the driveshaft assembly all fits together.

I guess I'll tear it apart and see what I find and hopefully Mitsubishi has parts or can get them in a short amount of time. Guess it's time to find that winter beater/daily driver I've been casually browsing for.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

E30 BMWs are notorious for killing that exact part. Hopefully it's just that coupler and nothing else.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:22 AM

I called Brookdale Mitsubishi this morning to ask about getting parts in that joint and whoever I spoke to in the parts department basically said that the entire driveshaft has no serviceable parts on it aside from the carrier bearings. But I could buy a new driveshaft for $2400. Time is running out for me to get the car back on the road... I guess that 2-piece aluminum upgrade is looking pretty nice.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 01:42 PM

I gave up and bit the bullet. Talked to Mike from AWD Motorsports for a bit today and placed the order. Should be here early next week.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fts-stock.html
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:27 AM

I want to say that the AWD Motorsports aluminum driveshaft makes the car feel and drive how it should have when it left the factory.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the great feedback!! The driveshaft is a very noticeable difference as you see.. Good luck!!

Mike
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Thanks for the great feedback!! The driveshaft is a very noticeable difference as you see.. Good luck!!

Mike
You're welcome, Mike. Thanks for your help. I still gotta send back the core.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

I think I have got the same problem!!! I was racing a Z06 on the hwy last week and when I was getting off the hwy I noticed a notching sound. I notice it when I am at about 10% throttle. I notice the sound weather I am in gear or not. it's a lot louder as I am coming to a stop.

I have not been under the car to check it out, could this be the same thing or maybe something else?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
i've got a rumble coming through in my drivetrain too, it only happens on cruise. I'm thinking it the driveshaft, one of the universals.
the sound goes away on acceleration and deceleration.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:05 AM

My sound only really occurred when cruising or under power, not so much when decelerating, especially when coasting out of gear, just really only when there was load on the car. It popped a few times when going in reverse as well. It sounded like when a CV joint in an axle goes bad but constantly, and much worse because it was right under the car, I could feel it slightly in my seat.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

my car does the same thing so youre sayin that a new mount jus cant be purchased and replaced?? i need a whole new driveshaft?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Matt D.
My sound only really occurred when cruising or under power, not so much when decelerating, especially when coasting out of gear, just really only when there was load on the car. It popped a few times when going in reverse as well. It sounded like when a CV joint in an axle goes bad but constantly, and much worse because it was right under the car, I could feel it slightly in my seat.
To a tee!!! That's what it sounds like!

Originally Posted by inf0
my car does the same thing so youre sayin that a new mount jus cant be purchased and replaced?? i need a whole new driveshaft?
+1, if that's the case, I need to get it ordered ASAP. I drive like 1500+ miles a month
Old Jan 28, 2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by inf0
Go under the car and look at the driveshaft where the rear and middle sections meet, there is a rubber boot like in the picture I show. Mine was pretty much gone, which allowed that joint to fail and I'm assuming it's just like an axle CV joint, once the grease disappears and dirt gets in there it's only a matter of time before it fails and starts clunking. You can see in the video I posted as well that moving the shaft back and forth made an obvious clunking sound that made the dinging noise in the driveshaft. I had the car up on 2 wheels at this point.

From talking with the parts department at Brookdale Mitsubishi here in Minnesota (who are typically really good, deal with Evo, DSM and 3/S parts all the time) they said there is nothing on the driveshaft that is serviceable, the only option from Mitsubishi is to buy a whole new driveshaft at the cost of $2400.

Don't worry, though, there are plenty of used driveshafts on here and elsewhere for a couple hundred dollars and shipping won't be a whole lot.
Originally Posted by dambikeracer
To a tee!!! That's what it sounds like!
Awesome, I was hoping I wasn't the only one to experience this. The odd thing is that this sound had sort of always existed since I bought the car 3 years ago, but only made the dinging sound when I would accelerate a bit then press in the clutch, giving the driveline some slack, and it would have a quiet rattle when decelerating. It wasn't until it actually failed that it made the constant clunking sound.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Matt D.
Go under the car and look at the driveshaft where the rear and middle sections meet, there is a rubber boot like in the picture I show. Mine was pretty much gone, which allowed that joint to fail and I'm assuming it's just like an axle CV joint, once the grease disappears and dirt gets in there it's only a matter of time before it fails and starts clunking. You can see in the video I posted as well that moving the shaft back and forth made an obvious clunking sound that made the dinging noise in the driveshaft. I had the car up on 2 wheels at this point.

From talking with the parts department at Brookdale Mitsubishi here in Minnesota (who are typically really good, deal with Evo, DSM and 3/S parts all the time) they said there is nothing on the driveshaft that is serviceable, the only option from Mitsubishi is to buy a whole new driveshaft at the cost of $2400.

Don't worry, though, there are plenty of used driveshafts on here and elsewhere for a couple hundred dollars and shipping won't be a whole lot..
yee thats true guess id better get on it then.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

wow just saw the vid mine isnt no were near that bad yet

Quick Reply: Driveshaft clunking