Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tomei ARMS??

Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomei ARMS??

Hey guys need some input. I want to get about 475 HP on 91 octane with meth. From the reaserch I have done tomei does not recommend running more than 23psi. Do you all think my goal can be reached with this turbo? The fp line up is very nice but I am looking to do somethibg different. Any thoughts would be great, thanks all.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Man I know I'm new but no one wants to give me a little help?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
don't get discouraged, no one replies to my threads either haha. to be honest this turbo isn't really held in high regard in this forum (or in evo community in general). it showed some decent results on the dyno but for its price most people go with an fp unit, or cbrd's bbk turbo, which are a bit cheaper if my memory serves me correct. Another thing to consider is the fact that fp/bbk are produced entirely here in america whereas the tomei comes from the far east. that translates to easier customer service/warranty/troubleshooting/returns etc. cbrd is famous for excellent customer service and both fp and cbrd stand behind their products with some sort of warranty. i dont know if i can say the same for tomei. another note: if you want to be different, thats what your car's exterior is for. fp and bbk are tried and true and have produced numerous, consistent, high-powered results. the bbk is used far less than fp units and shows amazing spool and boost holding into higher rpm. you may be hardpressed to reach 475 on it however. bbk is a ~400whp pumpgas, ~450 high boost turbo. if u want to be a little different go with the bbk. cbrdspeedfactory.com check it out. i think i have made my opinion clear lol goodluck
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know but I had mine tuned at 25psi on pump 93. I'm not sure about 475 but 400 is reachable. I'm currently at 350 with some boost leak somewhere.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:23 PM
Account Disabled

I don't know if you will reach 475 on 91+meth but I have seen a couple Evo running E85 who've made over 480whp on the Tomei. You might need something a little bigger, i.e Red or Black if you want to reach your goals. You can have a lot of fun though with the power you can make with the Tomei though, 450whp with matching torque is a blast to drive.

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:28 PM

I absolutely love my tomei. I wouldn't let anyone tell you differently. I believe fp turbos are garbage, if I was going to run anything different it would be a cbrd or bbk full setup.

However I get full boost really fast(3500), make good torque and now that I'm putting the car on e85 with my new switzer intake and throttle body I shouldn't have a problem hitting my goal (475)

I would say buy your tomei, you will not regret it. However its your money
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know from personal experience, but I would say if you want high overall power (torque & HP) then get tomei. If you want just high HP (higher than tomei) then get one of the others.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you want high numbers consider the red or black. fast spool then bbk full or HTA green. Even the Map sst is in the range but the 91oct is the real limiter here for a smaller turbos to shine 400-440 might be more realistic.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Great feedback guys thank you please keep on posting the more input the better.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:59 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
BBK Full is way more proven turbo, ultra reliable, not an FP product, and great on pump and pump+alky

Do you want 475bhp or 475whp? BBK Full will do either, as long as you're on a dynojet
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

My Tomei was awesome and really fun to drive, i could beat on that little turbo and I never had a problem, I just got a Red because i needed more power for what i wanted to do. Good luck on your choice.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

I hit 330(corrected) with current mods other than the exhaust mani. I'm looking for overall performance and quarter mile times not just high HP. Any other thoughts?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:14 PM
Account Disabled

we just made 403whp 361 wtq today with a BBK car on s1 cams, jmfab exhaust manifold, o2 housing, fmic, turboback and intake... stock turbo without the cams, manifold and o2 housing made 294whp/280wtq

it lost 150 rpm worth of spool to the stock evo 8 turbo

cb
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Now I'm real confused, I really like the BBK full but for the price I'm looking it is really gonna be in between the Tomei ARMS and BBK lite. So on one hand we have the Tomei which looks amazing and can pick it up for $1335, on the other we have the BBK lite for $1250. It seems in the price range the Tomei has upgraded compressor and turbine wheels where as the lite only has the compressor wheel. Also isn't there something to be said about the comp. housing? The Tomei looks bigger meaning more airflow right? Just ordered the MAPerformance external o2 housing and am really looking forward to making a decision on the turbo, just don't wanna pull the trigger and regret the choice. Please help guys!!!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:33 PM
Account Disabled

I have only had one ARMS turbo on our dyno.. so I can't give an educated opinion on how they perform as far as consistency.

we have still made 400whp on a LITE, but it was with ALOT of supporting mods!!

typically they make about 20 less whp than the FULL, and slightly less torque plateau!

cb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tomei ARMS??