Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
^ i think that's part of it for me too. 300whp makes for not a lot of power-on drama
Old Sep 11, 2017, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
That would be a ridiculous amount of toe.
Any increase in toe will have a proportional increase in wear. More toe = more tire wear.

Also a car that rotates well at the low speeds of auto-x can be deadly at the high speeds of the race track in unskilled hands.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 06:12 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Any increase in toe will have a proportional increase in wear. More toe = more tire wear.

Also a car that rotates well at the low speeds of auto-x can be deadly at the high speeds of the race track in unskilled hands.
Yes, toe in and tow out, technically, will produce more wear than 0 toe, but I've never seen it increase by any measurable amount.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Adding toe in, in the rear settles down a tail happy car. But you also negated most of the effect of doing the rear diff and increased tire wear in the process.
I didn't add the rear diff to create oversteer. What I as hoping to achieve was more push or grip from the rear end. Honestly the car was nearly perfect before I added the diff. Maybe the real benefit comes to those who run wide rubber and need the rear end to dance. That wasn't really my situation.

In my brain box I was thinking the car would be able to put more power to the ground if dangling a wheel in the air but other than that I'm not sure what I was expecting. The car has low low miles so diff that was in the car was fresh meaning no issues with spinning one wheel. Maybe someone can explain how this diff is superior to a properly functioning OEM rear diff.

FROM POST 1

PROS:

- Power oversteer! Any of these rear diff options will allow the USDM CT9As to do 95% of what AYC can do, while being a simpler, lighter, and more reliable mechanical solution. Any of the aforementioned rear diffs will provide your car enough lockup to completely turn the car around in a tight corner. I've experienced first-hand power understeer before this mod and power oversteer afterwards, with enough capability to do a 180 if I keep my foot planted.

- With that comes the ability to get on the throttle sooner, as well as take a better line through corners for overall quicker times! The car WILL be faster. For anyone who's dealt with the frustration of waiting waiting waiting until they can get back on the throttle, this is absolutely the solution.

- You can set up your cars suspension for maximum grip rather than trying huge rear bars etc to "artificially" coax the car into oversteering and probably end up making the car slower

- Less wear on your front tires! This has been noticeable for a variety of the evo owners so please comment if you've noticed any (you should) - you can keep the steering wheel straight for longer and let the rear do the turning for your car.

- MORE FUN. Breaking the rear tires loose at will is always fun.

I do agree its fun but for me it's not really faster thru turns that didn't require oversteer to complete cleanly. For me I can't get in the throttle sooner .... in fact its the opposite unless you are talking about very low speed cone dodging on a parking lot. My primary use case is big track cold tire time attack.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

i guess it's hard to really tell what it is. you sound like you're in a very low grip environment, and yes i will oversteer in snow making slow turns in second gear. most of us are racing on asphalt or concrete and for that this does as intended. if you're getting that much oversteer i guess i would say to either swap back to stock or change your setup to add more grip to the rear, either through bars or spring
The following users liked this post:
EVIL_EV0 (Sep 13, 2017)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I run stock front and rear swaybars on my car. Maybe you should try that.

The diff will give you more drive out of corners. You just need to set the car up for it. You had the car setup for a diff that needed help from the suspension to get hte car to rotate. Now you have a diff that does that all by itself, in spades. So you need to rethink the chassis setup a bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
EVIL_EV0 (Sep 13, 2017), kyoo (Sep 13, 2017)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

^ this. like i indicated in the first post, i'd do these mods first, then adjust the suspension for the evo to adjust balance accordingly. you can increase the grip of the rear, instead of past setups basically being a big fat bar to get the car to rotate, which is not ideal IMO. i'm still running a WL rear sway bar, on the middle setting at that, and not getting crazy power oversteer.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:45 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
i'm still running a WL rear sway bar, on the middle setting at that, and not getting crazy power oversteer.
Mine is mild, too. 25mm bar on the next-to-softest setting. Probably a hair less roll than stock (I still like decel-induced rotation).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Mine is mild, too. 25mm bar on the next-to-softest setting. Probably a hair less roll than stock (I still like decel-induced rotation).
Decel Rotation is where it's at.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

If you count that much on decel rotation the car is still set up like a FWD, kind of like it came from the factory. With an aggressive ACD remap and a max-lock diff you should need very little of that driving style ... it is capable of driving almost like a RWD car ... only that you can get on it much sooner and much harder.

FWIW, for a fast road set-up, standard rear bar with bigger front bar and aggressive ACD remap in combination with max-lock diff works for me. Slight toe-out in front and 0 toe in rear with -2.5 camber front and -1.25 rear. Stock Bilstein w/ Robispec springs.

With standard front bar the rear was a bit lively in the rain. The bigger front bar cured that with no adverse effects in the dry.

BTW, with spherical bushings the tire wear with that set-up is spectacular in a good way - very even.
The following users liked this post:
EVIL_EV0 (Sep 15, 2017)
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alleggerita
If you count that much on decel rotation the car is still set up like a FWD, kind of like it came from the factory. With an aggressive ACD remap and a max-lock diff you should need very little of that driving style ... it is capable of driving almost like a RWD car ... only that you can get on it much sooner and much harder.

FWIW, for a fast road set-up, standard rear bar with bigger front bar and aggressive ACD remap in combination with max-lock diff works for me. Slight toe-out in front and 0 toe in rear with -2.5 camber front and -1.25 rear. Stock Bilstein w/ Robispec springs.

With standard front bar the rear was a bit lively in the rain. The bigger front bar cured that with no adverse effects in the dry.

BTW, with spherical bushings the tire wear with that set-up is spectacular in a good way - very even.
hope you dont mind explaining, as im far from a suspension guru - where do spherical bushings go/which ones, and how it impacts tir ewear?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

The most important ones are the rear inner bushing on the front LCA (use PSRS or Whiteline part or even Ralliart) and the rear trailing arm bushing (use spherical, Ralliart or urethane - my order of preference) and the rear link bushing that effects bump steer (Whiteline KCA 388).

Stock these bushings are all soft and when you put power on they deflect which causes toe-change and erratic handling, as well as tire wear.

Given that the Evo is an AWD car, under power the front wheels will move towards toe-in under power, setting it slightly towards toe-out will minimize tire wear. The rear, it is my understanding, tends to increase toe-in under suspension movement which the KCA 388 minimizes, especially when lowered. The spherical in the trailing arm keeps it buttoned down and from moving.

The less toe-change you get, the more predictable the handling and the less tire wear.

Regarding excessive oversteer with a Max-lock. Other than being soft in the rear it may also reflect the nose being too low compared to the rear. Some people like their Evo set up that the rear breaks loose at the limit - like a pendulum - to combat understeer but this strategy is in juxtaposition what you try to do with an aggressive rear diff.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
So you think the KCA388 makes a noticeable difference in handling?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 03:30 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by alleggerita

But I didn't say we depend on it to rotate the car. It's a part of how my car works. My car rotates with a nice, quick turn in on decel, then I can power out all I want, tires willing. I can power into oversteer, if I wanna have fun and kill rubber. Decel rotation doesn't have to be at the cost of other dynamic, as far as I know. I'm no suspension expert, though. I just like how my car drives.
As for the suspension settings, those are, of course, subjective, so it's hard to compare.

​​​​​
Old Sep 16, 2017, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

good to know

been running s small amount of toe out in the rear, I'm gonna add a little in the front too

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here