Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MAP ultimate duty VS Manley TT rods

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
MAP and BR get along quite well now. I am not looking to sell you rods nor take a sale away from MAP. With that said, I have seen one set of MAP rods also bend. I don't know the circumstances, well I don't remember actually it's been quite a long time ago. Other than that I have on experience with them what-so-ever.

I will say we use the Manley TT's and they are an excellent rod. I can't tell you how many sets we've used and it is what I use in the 2.3RPM engines, which is what is in my car. I have not seen one set bend or break, ever.

Also the TT rods are not really heavy, the 300m rods are the heavy ones.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David Buschur
MAP and BR get along quite well now. I am not looking to sell you rods nor take a sale away from MAP. With that said, I have seen one set of MAP rods also bend. I don't know the circumstances, well I don't remember actually it's been quite a long time ago. Other than that I have on experience with them what-so-ever.

I will say we use the Manley TT's and they are an excellent rod. I can't tell you how many sets we've used and it is what I use in the 2.3RPM engines, which is what is in my car. I have not seen one set bend or break, ever.

Also the TT rods are not really heavy, the 300m rods are the heavy ones.
David, what do you recommend for a dd built car? Is the TT rod too heavy of a rod to dd around in?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 08:35 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
my how the times have changed. Based on recommendations from David Buschur and tons of other shining examples I was going to use the Manley I-beam TT's in my X build...but when the time came, they were on backorder. Chris Carey offered me the MAP Ultimate Duty rods instead and I hemmed and hawed but couldn't wait....I went for it.

10k miles on them now, 550whp (dynojet) daily driven 4b11t. Good rod IMHO, it is definitely working for me!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to go with the Map rods...They are a "better" rod than the TT based on the simple fact that they use bigger rod bolts than the TT rods. You can also use a wider bearing on the Map rod. Both of these rods can take a beating but the regular ARP rod bolts that come with TT rods will fail before both the TT and the MAP rod making the MAP rod better right out of the box. The map rod is also a little lighter.

If you use the custom age rod bolt in the TT rod then they may be equal. But reguardless, both rods will hold up to what 99% of people are trying to make here and the Map rod is cheaper.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Hell no the TT's aren't too heavy....that doesn't even make sense. First off they are not heavy, they weigh the same as the Crowers we use to use. I can call Manley and find out how many sets of the TT's we used in builds in the last few years, I'd say close to 200 sets based on how many engines have been built since we started using them. It is the only rod we use unless someone wants aluminum rods. I have NEVER had one of the rod bolts fail in a TT rod or a rod failure. I'd like to know who started the ridiculous rod bolt input but it is incorrect and I've heard it quite a few times.

Let me state again, the TT rods are in my 2.3RPM engine in the BadBish, 725 whp and 9500 rpm so far, ON A STROKER. This weekend will be the ultimate test I guess, we are going for 8's in North Carolina on Sunday.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

I have Manley TT's in my motor and love them... They have put up with my street and track abuse very well... and if I had to do it again, I would still pick up Manley TT's.

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Let me state again, the TT rods are in my 2.3RPM engine in the BadBish, 725 whp and 9500 rpm so far, ON A STROKER. This weekend will be the ultimate test I guess, we are going for 8's in North Carolina on Sunday.
Good luck, Dave... Make sure to take some good footages...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you! Jarrod just got a new camera and a bunch of other stuff, plan on doing some really good video. I just hope all goes well and we can finally get that 8 second run.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Both rods are great.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

I hope you get that 8. That's awesome ur going for it again
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have the TT is my car as well and i like them a lot. Not one problem with them and they have seen multiple low 9 sec passes without a hiccup in my car. They will be in the car for next season as well with plans on 8 sec passes
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Get the TT rods you will love them, I bent 2 sets of the MAP rods. Since then I switched to TT rods making 200hp more with no problems at all.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We were actually running Manley TT in our FDSM at the shootout last year due to a backorder on our MAP rods, they held up very well to consistent 8.2X passes nearing 170mph (just as our MAP rods had). I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Manley product, honestly our goal when we developed these rods was to make something comparable but with a lower price point. Are the wider rod bearing and larger rod bolts necessary? Obviously not, however, being that we were designing a connecting rod from scratch why not implement those features for added insurance? Long story short, you will be happy with either product.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

thats final then... Manley TT FTW....lol
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raif
Get the TT rods you will love them, I bent 2 sets of the MAP rods. Since then I switched to TT rods making 200hp more with no problems at all.
Is this like a fail safe? Instead of breaking, they bend.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Is this like a fail safe? Instead of breaking, they bend.
Piro, a rod that breaks is wack. IT should bend. Rod bolt strength plays a bigger role when you are in comical whp range. 1000whp + And I doubt 99.9 percent of people ever need that on the street

Quick Reply: MAP ultimate duty VS Manley TT rods