Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo VIII transfer case leak?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as what you're working on is the same as USDM evos you can. So, engine, transfer case and transmission yes. Rear differential? Maybe not. Do you have ayc?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
As long as what you're working on is the same as USDM evos you can. So, engine, transfer case and transmission yes. Rear differential? Maybe not. Do you have ayc?
Yes i do.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:45 PM

I have cracks by the bolts on the transfer case. no cracks near any major parts. jjust by where we bolt the part to the tranny.. Is it ok to weld on it?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 08:18 AM

having the same issue with my t case oil is black tho and will leak a little any idea how hard it would be to change the seal?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8uson
Yes I just replaced all three of my seals. I'm curious as to where this copper washer goes I can't seem to figure it out.
JFYI, the copper washer goes on the Fill/Drain Plugs.
I am having leak issues myself. I bought my 2005 Evo 8 with 120k miles a few years back & the tranny was toast so I had it rebuilt by English (I live 15 min away) and they told me that the Tcase was missing the small O-Ring and the large O-Ring had RTV on it. Both were replaced & now I'm leaking fluid which seems to be dripping onto the Downpipe right at the hanger area. The passenger side area looks to be dry, so does that mean it's coming from the output seal?
I've ordered both O-Rings, Axle seal & output seal, oh and the copper washer. It's hard for me to get my car off the ground b/c my driveway is gravel😔
But my neighbor has a big shop that I can prolly use when it's time to replace them. I'd just like to get as much info as possible so I can prepare for what's to come. My luck is pretty non-existent so sadly, I expect for everything to go wrong.
I sold my extremely beautiful JDM V5 STI with built everything making 490/480 with a Gtx30R on E85
and I bought my Evo b/c I figured it would hold more value down the road. I definitely miss it, but I love my Evo! I just wish I had better luck with it.
So far I've fixed EVERY common Evo problem from
the Sunroof motor bolts coming loose to the Wire Harness by driver kick panel getting wet from water coming in at the wheel well grommet, & everything in-between.
So if you have had this problem, leaking fluid over the Downpipe & dripping to the ground from the hanger area(mostly all visible from Driver's side)
Please let me know if you can drop some knowledge!