Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best clutch for 450whp?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best clutch for 450whp?

Hello,

I would like you guys to help me out get a good clutch. I'm installing FP RED and going for 450whp, with the possibility of going with 500whp in the future. My car is not a daily driver. I've heard alot of good stuff about excedy twin, but I would like to know if there are any other options. Thanks alot.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exedy twin or Competition Clutch Twin would be two great options for your power levels.

If you want to stick with a single disc clutch the ACT 6 puck sprung with the Xtreme pressure plate wouldn't be a bad option either
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Exedy Twin HD. That would be my choice.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
stick with the exedy just add the STM clutch fork as well and never think about a clutch again till your over 650whp
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
stick with the exedy just add the STM clutch fork as well and never think about a clutch again till your over 650whp
STM is making clutch forks now?

Rock is correct, the clutch fork stop is definitely a great investment with the Exedy twin. Your wedge collar will thank you.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I have the Exedy Twin with the STM clutch stop. I think its pretty close to stock feel and my cars making over 500ft lbs Buschur's Mustang Dyno,
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same power on a act street light and messed up the throw out bearing reving high, so for the power of 450 I agree with a twin disk set up
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Guess this has been a unanimous descision! Excedy twin with STM fork...

Also, is there any difference with installing a twin clutch disc with a regular clutch? Should I do it myself or should I call a shop?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Q

Also, is there any difference with installing a twin clutch disc with a regular clutch? Should I do it myself or should I call a shop?
You sound like you dont know what your doing that means its shop love time. add at least 500-600 for a total install

labor 500-600
exedy twin NEW 1700
STM Clutch forkstop 65
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:59 PM

They have a good write up here and its easy to follow, if you want to spend the $500-$600 its up to you.

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles..._article_id=27
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Hello,

I would like you guys to help me out get a good clutch. I'm installing FP RED and going for 450whp, with the possibility of going with 500whp in the future. My car is not a daily driver. I've heard alot of good stuff about excedy twin, but I would like to know if there are any other options. Thanks alot.
I have an ACT on mine and it is much nicer than the exedy twin I have driven on evos... that said, I have used carbonetic twin discs on another application (my TT 350Z) and that is what I will be getting when my ACT needs to be replaced. The carbonetics doesn't seem to get much attention here, but blows the Exedy out of the water for the 350Z in terms of modulation, pedal feel, and longevity

My setup is running an FP red at 28 psi on the ACT in my Evo and the ACT seems to be holding just fine. The act has a much lighter feel than the exedy I drove and seems to more apt for the street. little easier to slip coming from a stop than the exedy
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zivman
I have an ACT on mine and it is much nicer than the exedy twin I have driven on evos... that said, I have used carbonetic twin discs on another application (my TT 350Z) and that is what I will be getting when my ACT needs to be replaced. The carbonetics doesn't seem to get much attention here, but blows the Exedy out of the water for the 350Z in terms of modulation, pedal feel, and longevity

My setup is running an FP red at 28 psi on the ACT in my Evo and the ACT seems to be holding just fine. The act has a much lighter feel than the exedy I drove and seems to more apt for the street. little easier to slip coming from a stop than the exedy
My girly girl wife can manage on my Exedy Twin with the HD pressure plate...I haven't used an ACT but I have heard not a lot of good about it. The Exedy does everything I was looking for in a clutch, and Exedy makes the O.E. clutch which is kind of comforting.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
My girly girl wife can manage on my Exedy Twin with the HD pressure plate...I haven't used an ACT but I have heard not a lot of good about it. The Exedy does everything I was looking for in a clutch, and Exedy makes the O.E. clutch which is kind of comforting.
trust me, the ACT isn't my choice. just bought the car and it came with it. Like I said, I will be moving to an ATS/Carbonetics when needed.

I have driven Z's and Evos with the exedy and didn't like them.... even compared to the ACT I currently have. Now consider it is 1/3 the price of the exedy, and has better feel (at least to me) and it can't be TOO bad of an option.Both are bested by the carbonetics.

I know the exedy is widely used with evos, but IMHO not a clutch I personally would pay nearly 2 grand for. everyone is free to buy what they like. based on my experience my money will be spent on carbonetics
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Exedy Twin
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks alot for all the info! As for the installation I have done some work with my previous cars, but have never pulled down a transmission. With that said, and now that I think about it, I don't have the tools or space to pull off something like that...

Nice to hear there is another option... Anyone else can tell me more or give me more info on the carbonetics?

Quick Reply: Best clutch for 450whp?