Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Synapse DV config and results

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lots of good info posted in the last couple posts...Thanks Synapse & MrFred!
Old May 5, 2011, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id like to get some opinions on how I ran my vac hose to the dv, decided to just use port b and vent port A to the atmosphere...So far theres no flutter whats so ever...seems to be running fine, boost is alot more smoother.

Should I be fine?

Name:  ssds.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  52.8 KB
Old May 6, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^That line is very close to the manifold...I wouldn't feel comfortable with it like that. Put a head shield back on the manifold. Also find a vacuum line that is larger then the line coming off the DV and slice the one side of the larger vacuum line. Then slide it over top the line coming off the DV and zip tie it on there. At least that is how I would do it.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone running this vta with speed density? if so what is your set up? I have the port c delete snice i was running this recirc and maf before my new set up?
Old May 6, 2011, 06:51 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly dont' think it matters much for speed density, but I have no real world experience.

In other news, I swap for the PULL orientation earlier, and currently in port B only. Will be testing between the two combination during the week to see what will work best for my upcoming track day at NJMP on Friday. Will be back with updates.!
Old May 6, 2011, 10:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by octanecrazy
Id like to get some opinions on how I ran my vac hose to the dv, decided to just use port b and vent port A to the atmosphere...So far theres no flutter whats so ever...seems to be running fine, boost is alot more smoother.

Should I be fine?

You're running kinda close to the manifold. The boost connect 90's would work well for that, plus they swivel. I'm more concerned with the material though. That isn't Nylon is it? It may feel hard, but it has a pretty low melting point.
Old May 7, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by octanecrazy

^ did you remove the other end of the factory BOV vacuum line where it connects to the intake manifold? If not you have a giant boost leak.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
^ did you remove the other end of the factory BOV vacuum line where it connects to the intake manifold? If not you have a giant boost leak.

No, the other end that goes to the intake manfold goes straight to the bov.

If you follow the line from the bov in the picture up it goes into the line to the factory line to the intake manifold..All I did there was bypass the outlet closest to the engine to avoid some bends.
Old May 7, 2011, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Just a note on boost connect. We use them in all of our R&D. They really prove themselves in the data. If you look at the Red line, that is pre-throttle boost. Very clean, and smooth signal representative of steady state flow. The same calibrated sensor was used post throttle at the intake manifold on the blue line and you can see that we are able to pickup the variation of cylinder events with pressure. Boost connect is actually allowing our data acquisition system to pick up these very minute variations.

BTW, this data was not recorded with a Synchronic valve in use.

Old May 7, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I have tried out the 3 different possible combination's for the DV. I found that using both ports into a Y works best as far as "flutter" goes. I basically have none this way. Also on a side note.. do not use the quick connect fittings..They do leak. The car was dialed in to 30 lbs with the stock valve and right after switching in the DV valve my boost logs showed a 3 psi increase. So just a word of caution to people upgrading to the Synapse valves..watch your boost as the stock valve might not have seemed like it was leaking when it really was. So you may need to adjust your boost settings.
Old May 7, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

^ this is in pull mode by the way
Old May 8, 2011, 08:42 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by milford
I have tried out the 3 different possible combination's for the DV. I found that using both ports into a Y works best as far as "flutter" goes. I basically have none this way. Also on a side note.. do not use the quick connect fittings..They do leak. The car was dialed in to 30 lbs with the stock valve and right after switching in the DV valve my boost logs showed a 3 psi increase. So just a word of caution to people upgrading to the Synapse valves..watch your boost as the stock valve might not have seemed like it was leaking when it really was. So you may need to adjust your boost settings.
If you were tuned at 30psi on the stock DV, and show 33 psi on the Synapse, that means its holding boost better, not leaking. If it was leaking, your logs would show 27psi. I've used quick diconnects for over a year, from TiAL to this, and never had leak issues becasue of the lines. My neighbors build drag cars, and thats all they use.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:45 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
I honestly dont' think it matters much for speed density, but I have no real world experience.

In other news, I swap for the PULL orientation earlier, and currently in port B only. Will be testing between the two combination during the week to see what will work best for my upcoming track day at NJMP on Friday. Will be back with updates.!
UPDATE:

Over the weekend, I swap the orientation to play with the pull mode in different configurations. My results from PuLL in port B only is similar to push in port B. The driving charateristics are similar. Using PuLL with port A only was horrible, and the valve flutters no matter what rpm you drive it at. The noise sounds cool, but thats about it. I really like the bov in push mode at this point, but I will try out running both ports in Pull mode before making a final decision on what is best for me car.

I hope everyone is having some success configuring the best solution for the own cars!
Old May 10, 2011, 04:58 PM
Former Sponsor

What we've found is that there will be differences in how each person sets up the valve to their liking, even if they have identical setups.

The chart below shows the valve's operation in raw data form. This is with Port B as the actuation port, and in a system with a control solenoid. You'll find that many of the cars that will be turbocharged in the future will have a solenoid controlled DV. So it is important to have a DV that can keep up with the speed requirements of these systems.

As you can see, at point 1 the solenoid switches to signal the DV open. Within only 10 ms lift is being generated, and full lift within 30 ms. Although there is still that slight pressure rise, it is no where near the same magnitude as the previous example. And, most of it happens without the the valve in full lift. By the time, there is full lift, the pressure spike is attenuated.

I'm pretty confident that our Synchronic valve is one of, if not the fastest actuating valve on the market. I would be interested to see any other manufacturer show their data.

Old May 11, 2011, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My new Synapse should be here on Friday. I've read through several pages in this thread and it seems like everyone is using a different configuration. Does anybody have a suggested configuration for me based on the mods in my sig or can someone at least give me a good place to start? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Post your Synapse DV config and results