Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
here is my setup.

Name:  058.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  190.6 KB
Name:  056.jpg
Size:  180.5 KB

and this one drains back into the oil pan

Name:  062.jpg
Size:  164.6 KB
Name:  063.jpg
Size:  150.4 KB
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like this setup!! how does it work?

side note: maybe i like it cause its in a LY evo hahahaa
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

pretty simple. the catch can on the back ''round can'' is one line off of where the PCV valve would be. and on the bottom of the can is another fitting which allows the crank case to be vented. there is special baffles in the can as well. it also drains back into the motor.

the side catch can also has special baffles in it but its mainly there to help relieve pressure in the head and collect blow by. this one gets all kinds of yuke in it. you have to manually drain this one. i drilled and tapped it my self and had both cans custom made the way i wanted them
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I didn't really mean it to be harsh...sorry. It just annoys me when people flat out tell me I'm wrong purely based on their lack of understanding or knowledge.

After all it's the holidays and I'm really a nice person. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

On to your question...

If you run the PCV port (that originally goes to the IM) to the turbo intake pipe, then you're getting almost 0 vacuum assist during non-boost.

In stock setup, the PCV valve is open because of the large amount of vacuum in the IM. That vacuum both open the valve and provides the vacuum to scavenge. If you eliminate this as you describe, then you are eliminating this vacuum source. The turbo under cruising conditions won't provide much. You have to account for both screnarios...on boost and off boost.
Thanks for the clarification / explanation. I thought the vacuum pre-turbo would have been the same as the vacuum in the intake manifold, why would it be different ?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
pretty simple. the catch can on the back ''round can'' is one line off of where the PCV valve would be. and on the bottom of the can is another fitting which allows the crank case to be vented. there is special baffles in the can as well. it also drains back into the motor.

the side catch can also has special baffles in it but its mainly there to help relieve pressure in the head and collect blow by. this one gets all kinds of yuke in it. you have to manually drain this one. i drilled and tapped it my self and had both cans custom made the way i wanted them
So you are not running a PCV valve. Any problems with this setup as a DD? I am going to do the oil analysis still, but just wanted to know first hand if your noticing any problems with the oil at changes...
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
BlueEVOIX, if you don't want to learn something fine. But please don't tell me I'm wrong on something that is fact. Absolutely nothing I said was wrong. But, I really don't want to argue with you and/or educate you anymore.

But just for others that actually like to learn...

Yes, the blowby is due to combustion within the cylinder forcing combustion products and any unburned mixture past the piston rings and into the crankcase. It's funny that you call it 'piston exhaust smoke'. It shows how uneducated you are and it's funny that you say 'I'm wrong'.

Your piston exhaust smoke is all byproducts of combustion of gasoline and any unburned mixture. In a perfect world, hydrocarbons burn completely to form CO2 and water. In our engines, it forms CO2, water, CO, Nitrogen oxides, unburned hydrocarbons (fuel) and air. Hmmm...I think that's a little more detailed than your 'piston exhaust smoke' (or pure blow-by as you also mention...wtf does pure signify there...that's it's ok or clean or something???).

A couple big things here to note are: water and fuel

We're running metal engines here and you can get corrosion of any metal surfaces that are exposed to these contaminants. Having aluminum engine parts helps here because of the thin protective oxide that aluminum forms when exposed to oxygen (water), but our engines aren't 100% aluminum. Not to mention, that when you start to dilute oil with contaminants, it affects it's lubricating properties.

So, again, if you don't understand the true functions of the PCV system on our engines, please don't tell me I'm wrong. If you want to disagree with me, fine...but please don't argue with chemistry, physics, science, research and evidence of all of these scientific facts.

Are you kidding me, seriously?? You just explained how the crankcase is connected to the head and now you're saying it's isolated. You need to get your understanding and facts straight.

I'm done arguing or educating you. Please be a better man and don't continue to post your pseudo mis-information time and time again for others to start believing. People come to this forum to learn and it's becoming clogged with opinion that leads to bad choices. Let's just leave both of our explanations up and let people decide on their own what they think is right...or better yet, let them do their own scientific research to come to their own conclusion.
Why are you getting all angry for? And whats the point in trying to go into specifics of what the blow by consists of exactly? I mentioned a ruff sketch to help make things clearer. No need to get upset, I dont know everything about everything and I am always willing to learn. And yes I have read in numerous places exactly what your talking about, however its a misconception in my opinion based on my own research. (not something I tested, just read online and made my own conclusion from all the different theories) At this point we only think what we know from based on researching on other peoples opinion. Only true automobile engineers can chime in on this. Unless the oil analysis is done and we get to see if there are any effects worth it for recirculating.

Think of a 2 floor house with a basement. You leave the gas line open in the basement (blowby gases from crank case area). The gas fills the basement and travels up to the second floor filling up each floor as it rises. Now on the second floor you have 2 rooms across the hallway. You open the window in each room to create a draft (vacuum on one valve cover port, atmosphere air coming in from the other port) . Does that create a draft or bring in fresh air in the basement?

Also, Remember the oil is constantly spraying all over the place under the cover. Its basically rinsing itself internally protecting the metal. If you take the metal and put it in a sealed jar with blow by gasses, then you have a point. But the metal surfaces are all being coated under there. If you dont believe me, take your oil fill cap off while the car is on and see how much oil jumps out. And as for the oil itself, well its doing fine holding off the gasses in the crank case area.

Although this is not a true test, but just a couple months ago I removed my valve cover to upgrade the head studs. Everything "looked" find under there, with no visible corrosion. And I have been venting to atmosphere for 30,000 miles now. I cant say much about the oil or anything else. Just wanted to point out that I didnt see any corrosion there.

Creating vacuum on one end and venting to atmosphere on the other end of the valve cover is helpful and I agree with that. But its helpful because it helps relieve pressure better than just venting when you have only X size hole to squeeze through and its not enough for the amount of pressure being generated in the crank case area.

BTW, when I said "pure" blow by, I meant there is non to hardly any atmospheric fresh air.

I'm not here to fight, I'm here to learn and share. I'll be more careful with my words if you felt that way.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
So you are not running a PCV valve. Any problems with this setup as a DD? I am going to do the oil analysis still, but just wanted to know first hand if your noticing any problems with the oil at changes...
i do DD the car when the weather allows. i have not noticed anything at all that would alarm me. but i do oil changes very often.

no i do not run a pcv valve at all.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

i do DD the car when the weather allows. i have not noticed anything at all that would alarm me. but i do oil changes very often.

Are you running the Stock Ecu or Aftermarket?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
Thanks for the clarification / explanation. I thought the vacuum pre-turbo would have been the same as the vacuum in the intake manifold, why would it be different ?
Simply because of your throttle plate. The vacuum in your IM is created because the throttle plate is barely open at idle or cruise. Pre-throttle is basically open to atmosphere (all the way back to your air filter) and there is little to no vacuum.

The vacuum is created in the turbo intake pipe when the compressor is being driven under boost from the turbine.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Nov 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a bit off topic, but have you tried a big conical filter instead of that yellow contraption? i think you would pick up some power.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by buchnerj

Looking forward to the oil analysis...
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For you guys capping off the port on the intake manifold, where the PCV valve went, how are you capping it off? I put a vacuum cap on it that fit very tight and then put 2 tie zips on it. During a boost leak test it leaked around 15 psi or so. I guess I could put a vacuum cap that fit tight and them throw on a small worm clamp on it. Are there any other ways to cap off that port on the intake manifold??
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
For you guys capping off the port on the intake manifold, where the PCV valve went, how are you capping it off? I put a vacuum cap on it that fit very tight and then put 2 tie zips on it. During a boost leak test it leaked around 15 psi or so. I guess I could put a vacuum cap that fit tight and them throw on a small worm clamp on it. Are there any other ways to cap off that port on the intake manifold??
I went with a very snug vacuum cap and it was of the longer variety, I put a small worm clamp over the end of it and tightened it down. I boost up to 35psi on the red and it has 0 leaks.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
a bit off topic, but have you tried a big conical filter instead of that yellow contraption? i think you would pick up some power.
no i have not. i been thinking about it but was not sure what kind to get. with the car's current power level though im not to worried about it.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
no i have not. i been thinking about it but was not sure what kind to get. with the car's current power level though im not to worried about it.
http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_fi..._and_Specs.pdf

Quick Reply: for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues