Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Creamo--- I got the catch can from summit racing.. it is your simple all star catch can, I believe AMS sells it also.

Tcompusa--- I previously had a set up like what you had illustrated in diagram number two, basically two catch can, that were filled with steel wool, and then plumbed back to the intake pipe, I had a lot of problems with this set up, basically oil would get sucked into the intake system and my 35r would be spinning in a bath of oil. Once I went to the set up that I indicated earlier in this thread ( the problems ) went away. Personally I see no need to plumb it back to the intake, because the last thing that I want to see is oil in my intake system.

If I was you , I would run what you showed in diagram number 1, with the exception of plumming it back to the intake
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was told by saikou michi (http://www.saikoumichi.com/) to use the max pressure relief setup, which is basically what you recommended but you said the wrong number. It is basically the same setup you have now minus it is not vented off the catch can.

You're recommending me not to recirculate it back to the intake pipe because you feel it will make a mess, but i dont think it will. If you have a properly baffled catch can it will not allow any of that oil in. By plumbing to the intake pipe you also allow the sucking of vacuum to help eleviate the crankcase pressure as well.

I beat on my car pretty bad when I take it out.. I am WOT about 70% of the time im out with the car everytime. I never seen oil in my air intake pipe before and i recirculate it into there now.

I think i may use another catch can as well in between the pcv along with a krankvent to assure there is no leakage of the pcv under boost and also and to keep the intake manifold clean of oil as well.

it would make sense to block air intake pipe and vent the can to the atmosphere but forced performance told me not to do it that way.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its your car and you can do what you want, but im sure you will end up with oil being sucked in the turbo and coating everything up to the valves. Keep an eye on it, if the compressor blades have any oily film on them, consider that a warning sign.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Well right now there is no oil in there, but this is the stock setup so possibly it may push oil in there with more pressure relief. I can vent it its no big deal, i change my oil every 1k anyways and i dont really think its going to do much as far as MAF metering air goes to effect the cars cruise ability.

So it sounds like you recommend venting it then. Maybe I can vent it and also run the stock size tube from the can to the intake pipe so it still sucks a little vacuum?

I have a few options here..........

1. I could go the route Warren and fathouse did and run 2 big vents off to a vented catch can
or

2. I could still do the 2 vents + add another can inbetween the stock pcv and intake manifold to catch oil residue plus put an additional check valve inline to assure the stock pcv doesnt open as well..

or i could drill out the stock pcv part in the back to be bigger, but honestly i dont think that is neccessary with the 2 huge tapped vents coming out the driver side valve cover like Warren and Fathouse.

im gonna go with #2 and i will just vent the can and see how the car reacts that way first. Ill have that guy make me a custom 2 connected cans so i can run to the pcv also to avoid any mess in the intake manifold.
I think you're right im gonna get oil blowby in the air intake pipe no matter how good the baffling is also.. theres no where else for all that pressure to go.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Nov 16, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get an oil catch can, run a hose from valve cover to catch can, and from catch can to turbo intake, 24/7 vaccum ftw

gl
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a crank case issue also. in the end i tapped my valvecover,put -12an fittings,ran lines to the catchcan, and wired up a vacuum pump that kicks on at 15psi. sucks pressure out of can. havent had an issue since then.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by c-los
i had a crank case issue also. in the end i tapped my valvecover,put -12an fittings,ran lines to the catchcan, and wired up a vacuum pump that kicks on at 15psi. sucks pressure out of can. havent had an issue since then.
what pump?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by c-los
im interested in the pump also. have any pics? sounds neat.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:59 PM
Silver Sponsor

I just dump the oil straight back into the inspection hole in the block. No need for any of the water separator garble (why would you have a water/oil separator if you are just venting to atmosphere )cor any over engineered solutions here! No emptying, no worries!

Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor

as long as you understand you're diluting your oil with fuel and other misc gases that will end up in your catch can. theres no way around not getting water/fuel in your catch can from what ive read. i know hal's oil cap really releases a crapload of oil, but that catch can is still going to end up with vapors and you're recirculating it throughout your engine. you should do a oil analyzes after running it for 1k miles id be interested in seeing what it does. i was gonna do the same thing you're doing there but i dont want my oil being overly contaminated.

he has a water/oil seperator between the pcv and intake manifold , his catch can is just for the 2 big lines he has running off the side of his valve cover.. has nothing to do with pcv / intake manifold.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

when i would empty my catch can it was 60% water, 30% milky oil-sludge and 10% oil. VTA 4 LIFE SON!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:16 PM
Silver Sponsor

I'd argue that there is less gas and fuel than is thought. When it sits there the water/fuel mix condenses into the oil making that sludge. If you don't allow the condensation to happen it is not any different than the water vapor currently in the engine. Additionally, I am using a baffle that lets the vapor leave and keeps the oil in the system.

Good idea. I'll check do an analysis to see what is really happening next change I do!

Last edited by SpoolinUp; Nov 16, 2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:24 PM
Former Sponsor

well i recommend sending it to blackstone im curious what it reads. i know that cap releases A LOT of pressure and it definitely works very well.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tscompusa
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...cv-system.html is a good read

these 2 seem to be the best route for my setup. i think the max pressure relief and then just place a krank vent/ check valve such as http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...6844&catid=489

or similar in between the pcv hose.

on a metered air setup for maf its recommended to dump them back into the air intake pipe rather then dump to atmosphere, plus it will get vacuum from the intake pipe, but i dont think it really matters if its blown to atmosphere. personally i like the atmosphere idea better, but it seems the extra vac produced from the turbo does assist in removal of gases from the crank cover.. so im debating what to do right now.
Correct me if I am just missing something here but isnt the top image only going to half work?

The catch can outputs on to the intake manifold which is obviously post turbo, so the intake mani is obviously gonna be pressureized. So to me it seems like no vapors will flow into the manifold unless the pressure from the catch can is greater than that of the pressure in the intake manifold.

Now I am not sure how much pressure is being exhibited inside our crank cases but if your running 33psi of boost it just seems liek crankcase pressure would be less than that.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

i think you're confused. the only reason for the catch can at the pcv > intake manifold side is to stop oil from entering the intake manifold like it does. so you put a catch can in the middle of the process then you put a check valve in there as well on the line going back to the intake manifold so the pressure can not come back from the intake manifold and pressurize the catch can.

you should read the dsmlink thread i posted if the forums up. that forums up and down all day long LOL.

Quick Reply: for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues