Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IX MR DD Clutch/Flywheel recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo IX MR DD Clutch/Flywheel recommendations?

Got the car 2019 Jan 1 ​​​​​​needs clutch replacement. No clue what previous set up is. Car is factory ECU (stupid state ref Commifornia) very lightly modded, Full Injen intake w/intercooler piping. Hks downpipe, currently has CARB Walker cat, gna reinstall tomei testpipe and HKS muffler.
With that said, I assume the car has around 320 WHP and don't plan on throwing any other mods on it. Everything else should be factory. It is my daily driver and would prefer a feather like feel. My sh*t grinds into reverse sometimes and it's always at the worst possible times when all my female neighbors are outside at once 😑 making me look retarded lol
Help is greatly appreciated 🙂 I also never launch the car.

​​​​​​
Old Sep 8, 2022, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts
Go back to a stock clutch if that's all you are planning on doing to it.
Just dailying it around, the stock one should hold up fine.
If you want an upgrade for the sake of an upgrade, an ACT HDSS is a solid option but isn't the lightest pedal feel and is overkill for your power level.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 08:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The exedy stage 1 organic clutch will be perfect for you.
The following users liked this post:
schuhie (Sep 8, 2022)
Old Sep 8, 2022, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
My twin brother has his on his Evo x X GSR
I drove it once and actually enjoyed the feel and engagement. He's gonna go HD because he's pushing 400whp
I was leaning toward this.
Not sure what flywheel is on my car but might as well change that too?
Thanks for the input btw I'm just curious how the exedy runs on the Evo 9 MR
Old Sep 8, 2022, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by schuhie
Go back to a stock clutch if that's all you are planning on doing to it.
Just dailying it around, the stock one should hold up fine.
If you want an upgrade for the sake of an upgrade, an ACT HDSS is a solid option but isn't the lightest pedal feel and is overkill for your power level.
I thought about this one. I hear mixed reviews with some lockout issues. I don't plan on adding power anytime soon but going high rpm here and there I don't want to run into any inconveniences
Thanks for your feedback bro
Old Sep 8, 2022, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
I would start with checking the adjustment of the clutch first. You can also think about doing a trans refresh when it comes out. Maybe Evo 8 3rd,4th or even 5th gear.
http://www.teamrip.com/clutch-pedal-adjustment/
You can also think about doing a trans refresh when it comes out. Maybe Evo 8 3rd,4th or even 5th gear. Stock fluid gets my vote for daily use .
https://www.jackstransmissions.com/b...on-gear-ratios

Pay a reputable shop or do your research on R&R the clutch. Be sure to top off the ACD T case a few times shortly there after.

If you need a replacement clutch the Exedy stage one is nice. Keep the stock flywheel weight for street car stuff. A light one may require more finesse to get the car going .

The ACT lockout issue was decades ago . May have been a clutch issue, adjustment , or worn parts. Either way, they make a nice product but clutch pedal stiffness is increased. HDSS
The following users liked this post:
codgi (Sep 8, 2022)
Old Sep 8, 2022, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Abacus
I would start with checking the adjustment of the clutch first. You can also think about doing a trans refresh when it comes out. Maybe Evo 8 3rd,4th or even 5th gear.
http://www.teamrip.com/clutch-pedal-adjustment/
You can also think about doing a trans refresh when it comes out. Maybe Evo 8 3rd,4th or even 5th gear. Stock fluid gets my vote for daily use .
https://www.jackstransmissions.com/b...on-gear-ratios

Pay a reputable shop or do your research on R&R the clutch. Be sure to top off the ACD T case a few times shortly there after.

If you need a replacement clutch the Exedy stage one is nice. Keep the stock flywheel weight for street car stuff. A light one may require more finesse to get the car going .

The ACT lockout issue was decades ago . May have been a clutch issue, adjustment , or worn parts. Either way, they make a nice product but clutch pedal stiffness is increased. HDSS
Thanks for your feed backThe shop I go to checked if the clutch needed adjustment, he said unfortunately no it needs to be replaced. It's a family friend who we helped and they helped us for over 30 years so I know he's not bsing (installed my full Injen intake in over 100 degree heat only charged me 120)
I'll look into the oil, I'm not sure what lifespan I these are because I had these flushed and refilled about a year ago and drove low miles (around 8-10k)
Old Sep 8, 2022, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm hearing alot of whp references when talking about clutch shouldn't we be using wtq to determine clutch type? I also think exedy stage 1 organic is also the perfect clutch for your setup though. Keep flywheelstock.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 09:13 AM

Also totally random but since clutch is going to be replaced, would it be worth or damaging to have synchros replaced?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by RallySport9
I'm hearing alot of whp references when talking about clutch shouldn't we be using wtq to determine clutch type? I also think exedy stage 1 organic is also the perfect clutch for your setup though. Keep flywheelstock.
Alright thank you. I personally don't have a clue what matters when replacing clutch so I just state the mods and estimated who (never dynod it,yet)
Excuse me for newbie questions 😂
I'm leaning toward exedy stage 1 organic
Old Sep 8, 2022, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I always forget about this one because I went for power asap. Good call.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Gevolik90
Also totally random but since clutch is going to be replaced, would it be worth or damaging to have synchros replaced?
If they're not worn out, leave them
Old Sep 10, 2022, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
If they're not worn out, leave them
4th seems worn out. When I shift half the time it clicks or grinds and sometimes it actually goes in smoothly if I shift slow.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
I wanted to give my experience on the exedy stage 1. The clutch had a great feel, like stock. Unfortunately it only lasted me about 30k miles. I only had a handfull of launches on it so im not sure why it wore out so quickly. Power level was berly over stock too. I replaced it with a new flywheel as well. Ended up replacing it at about 90k miles with the competition clutch stage 3 sprung. Its much stiffer but its currently past 30k miles with it so thats a win for me. I cant say Id buy either again tho. Id like to try ACT.

This is just my first hand experience with the exedy stage 1. Other people may have had it last longer.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
"Handful of launches"

"Stage 1 organic clutch"

This is why it didn't last long. Organic clutches do not like the abuse of being launched. Especially the exedy stage1. It's much more of a stock replacement than anything. And if you launch a stock clutch, it's done in 3-4 launches.

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR DD Clutch/Flywheel recommendations?